Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90180 - 02/16/03 09:13 PM Stereo upgrades
Jason Offline
Loc: Red Bluff
I have a 2002 Grand Prix SE. I have the stock cd player, which I want to replace with a Sony unit. I have been reading all that I can about stereo installs in Grand Prix like mine. I keep reading about a stock amplifier under the dash, Would my Gp have one? If so am I going to have to disable it with the new head unit? Its a high power model with 45watts a channel. I have all of my gear out of my 2000 Malibu that im going to eventually install in my GP. Its a 3 amp 8 speaker setup.So the stock amp is only temporary but the install is going to happen in stages. Thanks for any info you can provide.
#90181 - 02/17/03 09:32 PM Re: Stereo upgrades
03 Limited Edition Offline
Loc: Maryland
Hey man thats freaky, I drove a 99 malibu and after some jackhole ran a red light I ended up in my Grand Prix. (Doesnt bother me it is a way better car!! cool ) Anywho about the radio, it sounds like you are planning on using external amps to power your interiors (Much better idea trust me). If this is the case, then you do not need to worry about any factory amplifier. I do not think that the SE comes with any factory amplifier, but which system do you have? Is it the Bose? Regardless, if you are not sure then when you wire the harness to the radio, be sure to leave out the amplifier turn on lead (the blue or blue and white wire) when you make the connections. DO NOT CONNECT this wire to the factory harness, instead connect it to the aftermarket amplifiers. If you do this, then the factory amp will never even turn on saving a little energy and more importantly cutting down on the heat. If you have any more questions let me know I would be glad to help out. One more thing the harness for the malibu and the GP is the same GM 21 pin plug, but the install kit to make the whole thing fit in the dash may be different. I know the one I had for my malibu did not work in the 2003 GP. I was ticked because I had to use one of those GM kits that sticks out of the dash about a half inch. My kenwood mask would look so much cooler if it was perfectly flush with the dash. Good luck man!
#90182 - 02/18/03 11:09 PM Re: Stereo upgrades
Jason Offline
Loc: Red Bluff
The stereo I have in my GP isnt a Bose unit. It is the standard delco cd player.I plan on doing this install in stages. Head unit and signal cables while i have the dash apart. Then as I have time Ill do the door and rear deck speakers.
Last stage will be the sub and amp. Are the stock tweeters in the door pillars any good? Or would it be wise to think about replacing them? Im going to use all Sony speakers and Orion amps.
#90183 - 02/19/03 06:35 PM Re: Stereo upgrades
03 Limited Edition Offline
Loc: Maryland
I just left the stock tweeters in because I didnt want to go through all the trouble to make my infinity's fit. Honestly a tweeter is a tweeter. Some are better than others, but unless you are a total audiophile, or you plan on amplifying heavily, the factory tweeters will do, just upgrade the 5.25's. A good idea would be to buy a decent set of two way for the front 5.25 spots and leave the factory tweeters too, this will really help imaging up front. You can run the new speakers off of an external amplifier and run the factory tweeters off of the head unit. Just a few ideas for you.
#90184 - 02/22/03 12:53 AM Re: Stereo upgrades
satch Offline
Loc: Eastland Texas
im not too sure about the 2002's but my 97 didnt have an under-dash amplifier...i replaced my entire system with an aftermarket..an Eclipse head unit,Rockford Fosgate sub-amp pushing a JL audio 12 w1..and a modified(by myself) pair of 5.25 coaxials in the doors with the tweeters moved up and forward slightly.(powered by the head-unit)..sounds pretty good for 1- 12 and 2- 5.25's!