Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30517 - 05/18/04 11:48 PM time for more hammering
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Loc: Oklahoma city
Ok for my next mods I am getting a DHP PCM (I have been waiting for the the INtense and its reviews and the price war) I have an excellent opportunity through my local GP club to get a DHP through a group buy so I think Im going to do that.

I am also porting and polishing my blower and exhaust manifolds. The blower will be very similiar to a ZZP stage 3 and the manis will be similiar to the manis on ZZP. Also am doing a little more on the exhaust, probly a true Y, mufflers and 3" piping.

With these mods and the ones listed below, what plugs should I run? Should I keep my TR-55's or go colder? Also, should I run a 3.25 pulley or go smaller? What do you all think? TIA!
#30518 - 05/18/04 11:51 PM Re: time for more hammering
terapinn2000GTP Offline
I also forgot to mention 1.9 rockers. I havent decided which ones yet but I think Intense gen3 full roller rocker arms seem to produce the most gains. Do you all have any opinions on rockers? ZZP? Intense gen1 or 2 or 3?
#30519 - 05/18/04 11:53 PM Re: time for more hammering
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
From what i have read with the 3.25 and smaller you can run into problems with that knock retarded stuff. I don't know how much it is a problem on this 3.25 but i definately know it is a problem wiht a pulley smaller than the 3.25. Have you thought about intercooling?? cut this would allow a lot more boost....

Hey at any rate if you don't change the pulley and you port and polish all that should make a difference for down the road mods (intercooler more boost = more hammer )

And as always springtime days meen more hammer
#30520 - 05/18/04 11:59 PM Re: time for more hammering
terapinn2000GTP Offline
I have a friend that runs a 3.25 with all the mods I have now plus a DHP and ported manis with no KR. I was wandering since I am also doing the rockers and a ported blower if I could safely go smaller. I plan on doing an intercooler but not for a while.
#30521 - 05/19/04 12:01 AM Re: time for more hammering
zachd Offline
I myself do not see what the problem would be if knock retard is not a problem after all the porting is meant to allow for more air and so are the rockers right? the more air the better....

ALRIGHT TIME TO GO HAMMER ITS QUITTIN TIME AT WORK!!!!!! hammer
#30522 - 05/19/04 06:17 AM Re: time for more hammering
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
If you do all the mods you have mentioned, then you should be safe for a 3.25" pulley. You'll at least be safe enough to install it and have the car scanned for KR.
#30523 - 05/19/04 08:10 AM Re: time for more hammering
Marc Harbison Offline
Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
It's not really possible to say whether you'll be ok (KR wise) with a 3.25" pulley or whether you'll need to drop to a colder plugs than the TR55's. The only way to know for sure is to scan your car for all relevent values and see what you're getting.

Also... please don't do what I see a lot of boneheads doing when mod'ing and scanning. They scan the car (maybe) then install a buttload of mods. They scan the car again (maybe) and sometimes see a value they don't like (such as higher than expected KR). Then they come here or to ClubGP and ask why they're getting such high KR (or whatever...).

The right way to mod the car (when it comes to engine mods anyway) is to scan the car and see what kind of data you're getting. Analyze the data and understand what condition the car is in before you start mod'ing. If the car seems to be in good shape initally, then do "a" mod (not 4 or 5 of them). Scan the car again and see what kind of data you're getting now. If you don't like the data... you know what's causing the problem since you only did "one" mod. If the data looks good... continue on to the next mod and start all over again.

That's really the only right way of doing engine (or drive train) type mods. Patience is the key. Don't get ahead of yourself and understand everything you're doing.

Good luck,
Marc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIP '97 GTP w/ 192K miles - Totaled when broadsided
#30524 - 05/19/04 08:37 AM Re: time for more hammering
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Terapinn, with all those mods you're doing, don't forget about your transmission. You might want to throw in a tranny cooler sometime soon.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#30525 - 05/19/04 04:20 PM Re: time for more hammering
zachd Offline
OMG I forgot about that too. the biggest destructor is not overpowering a tranny it is heat. Ask anyone that pulls with a heavy duty auto transmission the heat will get you first.
#30526 - 05/20/04 01:40 AM Re: time for more hammering
terapinn2000GTP Offline
Ive always been told that a tranny cooler doesnt do that much and are more trouble than they are worth. I was going to do that as my first mod and as I checked into it I kept hearing negative things about them. Very few people in my club run one and some of them are in the mid 12's. It is something I am still thinking into.
#30527 - 05/20/04 08:26 AM Re: time for more hammering
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
People don't have a problem with tranny temp. Its the input shafts and differentials that get torn up.
#30528 - 05/20/04 08:36 AM Re: time for more hammering
AustinGTP Offline
Will a H/D tranny from a GTP match up to the 3.8 in the GT's? Would this swap be good for the GT?

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#30529 - 05/20/04 08:53 AM Re: time for more hammering
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Will a H/D tranny from a GTP match up to the 3.8 in the GT's? Would this swap be good for the GT?
i beleive chico blew up his tranny in the chicomobile and he pulled a tranny ou of a junk yard from a wrecked GTP.

he said he moded out the trans but he hasn`t posted any results yet, check with him.
hammer cuz its spring wink
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
#30530 - 05/20/04 09:16 AM Re: time for more hammering
AustinGTP Offline
I thought he just rebuilt the crap out of the one he had. confused
Chico!!! What did you do?

#30531 - 05/20/04 09:32 AM Re: time for more hammering
4 T 8 states Offline
Loc: winter park,fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
I thought he just rebuilt the crap out of the one he had. confused
Chico!!! What did you do?
no, he posted in "toasted tranny" that he found a trans from a wrecked GTP.

cool
bearcat bct-7 law enforment/weatherband scanner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >