Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30997 - 09/03/04 08:02 PM Need Help Guys: Weird Crunch in drive train....
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
So here are the symptoms = Driving down the road at 55mph, let off gas for approx 3 sex ( im guessing enough time for the auto tranny to shift into nuetral to coast) then re-apply pressure to the gas and I get a crunch clunk sort of sound, and the car jerks a little bit. Also, when taking off from a complete stop if I get into the gas between 2000-3200rpm it stutters a little bit in the acceleration. when this happens the RPMs remain constant though, not really climbing until I get into the gas quite a bit, then the tires just break loose.

My current ideas on things are that the stutters are from my plugs. I recently went to install TR6's in my GTP and I cracked one of them on the second cylinder. after that happend I decided to only do the front three and take it somewhere to do the back three because I was running short on time and didnt have the proper tools. I think this may be causing the stutters, but I dont know about the crunch sound.

I had a 97 grand am SE that had the Trans axle go out on it, and it bevaived similar to that before it went out. I havn't ruled this out as a posibility, however, I'm not leaning heavily toward that hypothesis, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#30998 - 09/03/04 09:26 PM Re: Need Help Guys: Weird Crunch in drive train....
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
97-99 from what i have heard had a problem with a solenoid that will give you the problem you are describing to a T. Including the stuttering. If its not fixed it will cause tranny failure. It is a pressure control solenoid. I would have it checked out.
#30999 - 09/03/04 09:42 PM Re: Need Help Guys: Weird Crunch in drive train....
Jizz Offline
Loc: Central Maryland
See should have bought a 04 smile

Ok just messing with you but for real...

-- How many miles on the car and how do you drive (honestly)
#31000 - 09/07/04 10:51 AM Re: Need Help Guys: Weird Crunch in drive train....
honestly there are a little over 95k and I drive very spiritedly. I usually only get on it hard through first or second, ocasionally I will use passing gears aggresively, but usually dont drive over 60 or 65mph during daily driving conditions

Where would you recomend taking this to get checked out, should I take it to a dealer? I have some mods on my engine, Is this going to cause problems at the dealer?

Also, I found out what the stuttering was, I opend up my hood to take a look at things and my intake had popped off, just put it back on and tightend down the clamp and everything ran fine, but still getting the crunch a little bit

P.S. I dig the mods list Jizz

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#31001 - 09/08/04 12:40 PM Re: Need Help Guys: Weird Crunch in drive train....
Does anyone else know anything about this selenoid problem?