Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22482 - 09/07/04 11:01 AM S/C Main Bearing Noise
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
I have been hearing a low grinding noise in my S/C's snout main bearing. I have kept up the fluid change out and have a new belt so I think this might simply be time that the bearing simply gave out. Anyone have any ideas why? Has anyone elses bearing gone as such? The shop here says I have to change the S/C and I simply did not want to talk to those baboons about options. If I have to I will buy the new snout from granprixstore.com but was wondering if you guys have any options up your sleeve for a repair.
#22483 - 09/07/04 12:47 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
it's more than likely the coupler inside of the s/c that is making the noise. i just replaced mine probably a month ago and made a difference.

it's not that hard of a project to take on, just need some time, tools, new coupler and s/c oil.

get a coupler here: http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/products/eaton_sc_coupler.htm

some instructions on how to fix it: http://www3.sympatico.ca/aepa/blowerinstall.html
dhp 1.0
#22484 - 09/07/04 12:50 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
My money is on the coupler as well.
#22485 - 09/07/04 02:01 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
quark_man Offline
that was my money, and I had that inspected with a stethoscope and it is the bearing that is making the noise
#22486 - 09/07/04 04:57 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I haven't heard of a snout bearing going bad but doesn't mean yours hasn't. If you have never changed the coupler I'll bet a beer that the coupler will cure that noise. Either way the snout has to come off and your gonna need a new coupler anyways. So all you'll be out if I'm wrong is a couple bottles of oil and a couple hours. Oh and as for the oil if the noise is still there and you have to take the snout off again you can save the oil and reuse it if you like.
#22487 - 09/07/04 06:49 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
quark_man Offline
One more thing to beat this issue to death. What are the scenarios for the bearing and the coupler if one or the other fails. I have not heard of a coupler failing and what would result from that nor have I also heard of a bearing seizing or breaking appart. Anyone? I just don't want to ruin anything if I don't get it done now...
#22488 - 09/07/04 07:17 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
A worn coupler is noisey and power robbing. The stock couplers wear fast. As for the bearing as long as the belt isn't too tight and you keep the snout topped off with oil it should last a very long time. I'd think if the coupler should shear then the pulley won't have a load on it and the blower won't spin. Bearing should be fine. If the bearing siezes. You gotta pull the snout and since you have it off you'll want to change the coupler anyways. If you are that worried about it you can take the S/C belt off and drive around without it. You won't harm the engine or the blower but you'll have less power then a GT. So order a coupler take an afternoon change it out and you'll be pleased with the outcome.
#22489 - 09/08/04 02:30 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
quark_man Offline
thanks,
Actually I already have the new one from ZZP
#22490 - 09/08/04 03:20 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
GTPJack Offline
Loc: Hoover, AL
Coupler, no doubt, you can't tell where the noise is coming from. I remember when I was going through all that, man I was worried. It shouldn't be the beairngs in the coupler, especially since your belt is still turning, otherwise those bearings would have frozen by now, they don't last long as fast as that S/C turns. You'll probably replace every pulley in line with that S/C long before you replace that snout. Unless you damaged it by using the wrong pulley puller.

Last Thurs. I heard I little noise, I realized that it was the bearing failing in one of the pulleys, but couldn't tell which one. I decide to head to the track and run, which is two miles away from my house, the noise got louder, then went away. Wen I made it to the track and raised the hood, there was no more pulley, only bearings which had frozen solid, damn I had only replaced both belts a week earlier, but they were not badly damaged. The Dealership I went to didn't have it in stock, but called another in town and they did. $40.00 to repair myself.

GTPJack

Next: 3" down pipe, SD Ram Air Hood,
#22491 - 09/08/04 05:54 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Yahh those pulleys are junk. I should get mine changed but I keep pressing my luck.
#22492 - 09/09/04 11:57 AM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
quark_man Offline
"Last Thurs. I heard I little noise, I realized that it was the bearing failing in one of the pulleys, but couldn't tell which one. I decide to head to the track and run, which is two miles away from my house, the noise got louder, then went away. Wen I made it to the track and raised the hood, there was no more pulley, only bearings which had frozen solid, damn I had only replaced both belts a week earlier, but they were not badly damaged. The Dealership I went to didn't have it in stock, but called another in town and they did. $40.00 to repair myself.

GTPJack"

So which pulley was it that failed?
#22493 - 09/09/04 12:18 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I'm confused. Are you asking if the noise from the S/C caused the idler pulley to fail? I'd highly doubt that. The idler pulleys are prone to failure and most people replace them before the 60k mark for peace of mind.
#22494 - 09/09/04 01:15 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
GTPJack Offline
Loc: Hoover, AL
Sorry, two separate issues, the coupler was a while ago, and had a totally different sound that made you wonder if your valves were rattling or something was wrong with your engine.

Pulleys are obvious, but it's hard to pinpoint, because of the sound bouncing around. The pulley that failed was the tiny one just above the a/c compressor.

GTPJack

Next: 3" down pipe, SD Ram Air Hood,
#22495 - 09/09/04 04:29 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
HercMan(Rob) Offline
oops i get it now lol
#22496 - 09/09/04 07:46 PM Re: S/C Main Bearing Noise
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
yeah, i would go ahead and change the coupler if you already have one. it really doesn't take that long, and it is just one bolt that is hard to get to. i haven't heard though of a snout bearing going out

we had to have our car towed home one time though cause one of the tensioner pulley bearing locked up. we replaced it, and noticed another one was making a grinding noise. we replaced it later, but basically, they go out too, so you might have to get those as well. don't go buy the whole assembly though, if that is what they tell you. just buy a bearing and replace that
dhp 1.0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >