Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35055 - 01/14/05 03:12 PM JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
TastyBake Offline
Loc: Ohio
Just in case any debates come up up regarding additives such as Slick 50, Motor Up, or zMax, here you go...
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal

Slick 50 is just 50 grade oil in base.
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/07/slick.htm

They don't work. Like Lucas or Mystery Oil?
One experiement showed Lucas foaming when it was in the combustion chamber.
I used Mystery Oil in the Caravan. It drove bad for a while. When I went to add some extra oil, saw specs of white foam all in the valve cover! Just stuck to synthetic/regular oil and it went back to normal.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#35056 - 01/14/05 04:25 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
Louie Offline
Loc: Goderich Ont. Canada
Really cause I use the lucas in both cars
and think it works fine, never had any white
foaming of any kind. Yet!!!
#35057 - 01/14/05 04:45 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
TastyBake Offline
Here is a test done on the Lucas additive. I'm assuming results may vary.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

This foaming is what I saw with Mystery oil also. Just not as severe.

[GONE]
GenV GTP engine, 12" Brakes, CAI, 3" DP, HighFlo Cat, 180 T-Stat, Aeroforce Gauge, Front STB, Stinger Fiberglass hood, Reflective Graphics.
#35058 - 01/14/05 04:58 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
Louie Offline
Loc: Goderich Ont. Canada
Ok I stand corrected, I will start saving my
12 bucks and use to something else like
the iat sensor for 20 H.P. LOL!!
#35059 - 01/16/05 03:04 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
TastyBake Offline
Overall, in your search for more power and performance, you will be bombarded with expensive equipment claiming that they can bootst this/that. They will even show you complex engineering graphs, dyno results, e.t.c.
You will also hear your friends brag how they placed in 75 HP by doing something simple.

The best way to combat this is with knowledge and reality. This is why this site is great. I've learned a lot about aftermarket parts in general and about my GP from these guys. Before you by anything, check the forum archive. Someone has probably already shared their experienced with that product.

One more thing. Aftermarket parts ARE NOT always better than Stock, dispite what you see on TV. They are in the business to make money. Period.

[GONE]
#35060 - 01/16/05 11:08 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Holy crap, ive been using lucas in my oil for years! Ive never had any problems with it, but I dont use the heavy duty designed for old cars I use the high performance stuff I dunno it that would have less foaming etc.

All years of using lucas I always run the car for a good 30 min before an oil change and ive NEVER seen foam of any kind. Dunno but ill be looking into this more thoroughly maybe I wont need that extra 20bucks for an oil change next time.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#35061 - 01/16/05 11:18 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I dont think much of anything can take the place of regular oil changes...if additives are worth their salt then racing teams would use them with out fail...the only one I know has lasted all these years is STP...but even I feel that is more for a roadracing engine that for the street...synthetic is the best thing to happen to street engines in a decade...no additive can make regular oil stand up to what synthetic does.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#35062 - 01/17/05 07:31 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
maybe that guy was adding water instead of lucas. i just don't see that possible that it would cause the oil to do that. maybe i'm wrong, but there are a lot of people that use that stuff and especially some in racing and they don't bitch about there oils being white. just my opinion though.

i don't use them, and never really have, but we have used some other additives and they have seemed to help in our older 52 ford.
dhp 1.0
#35063 - 01/17/05 10:28 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
Bryan R Offline
Loc: Portland
I've always know that those additives that talk about having teflon, to be a farce. I'm too lazy to look it up, but DuPont (makers of Teflon), specifically say that Teflon is not to be used in internal combustion engines.

Further, these additive companies, say they have the teflon in suspension in the liquid, and that it forms a molecular bond to parts, to create a slippery surface.

1.) Your oil filter will filter out particulates in suspension.
2.) DuPont says that Teflon WILL NOT bond to anything, unless heated to something like 1600 degrees F.

And those BS tests, where they run the engine with no oil? I remember watching a car magazine TV show, where they showed that most engines actually can run for a good deal of time after you drain the oil. They also happened to contract a 3rd party lab to do a test. FWIW, they found that the engine with the teflon additive actually had MORE engine wear than the one with plain ol' dino juice. Turns out:

1.) Suspended teflon clogged some of the oil passageways, starving parts of oil.
2.) Some of the compounds in the additive actually displace oil, such that start up wear is actually increased over plain ol' oil.
#35064 - 01/18/05 10:31 AM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
I still dont quite get it either, if Lucas really foams that bad and doesent lubricate anything just sits at the bottom and foams as shown in the tests that guy did, wouldnt that cause some SERIOUS problems very quickly in your car? I have been using lucas almost as long as ive been driving and I know theyve been around a long time, ive never had any problems. Ive always done my own oil changes and never noticed anything funny looking about the oil coming out when Lucas was added.

I think the problem might be his oil to additive ratio. So in your engine you are supposed to use 4 quarts of motor oil to every 1 qt of additive with Lucas Heavy Duty or otherwise. That means 4 times the oil for every 1 part additive. You can clearly see alot of additive and not alot of oil in this guys test. It is very possible the mixture is different and behaves differently when your talking about more than a gallon of it rather than half of a half of a pint. Which is not proper use of the oil or the additive.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#35065 - 01/18/05 12:04 PM Re: JUST Say No to Aftermarket Additives!
TastyBake Offline
Don't think racing folks use Lucus. Lucus are just sponsors.

Mystery Oil in my van did foam up and the ratio was correct. For Lucus, ratio may have been bad for the test. Not sure if foam would have been the result.

I couldn't find any FTC documentation stating they were after Lucas specifically. However, some companies selling synthetic oil advise not to/void warranties in regards to any additives in their product.

If you like the idea of using it, go ahead. I'm sticking to spending on fuel filter changes.

[GONE]