Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48422 - 05/25/05 02:07 PM scanning
steve6971 Offline
Loc: southern jersey
i've been reading post about scanning and scanning programs and my question is what is it ? is it something i should have ? i have a laptop so but i just dont know if i need it and what i do need to scan.
#48423 - 05/25/05 06:15 PM Re: scanning
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Alex Pepper is a pretty good scanning software.
If you're going to do any modding to your GTP, it's a good idea to have it scanned after each mod. This will help you keep an eye on any KR you might be getting, while modding.
Canadian GTP is the latest person to use the software while he was modding.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#48424 - 05/25/05 07:07 PM Re: scanning
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
There's also http://www.ls1m.com/ for those who don't have a laptop but want something they can use personally without draining the wallet. It works on both the GTP and GT from what I hear.
#48425 - 05/25/05 07:10 PM Re: scanning
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
www.OBD-2.com is the site where you can read all about the Peper software. I'd recommend it for an inexpensive complete solution if you have a laptop.

Basically you download the software from there and he ships you the connecting serial cable to plug your laptop into your car.

I can't compare the software with others as it's the only one I have tried but it definately does the job. I'm slowly learning to use it beyond just checking for KR (Which is simple). Heres part of a summary I've put together for what to scan in the Peper software that is "Common" for tuning.

Alex Peper Scanner (OBD-2.com)

Sensor (Location)

MAFF (Enhanced Parameters) - Mass Air flow frequency
KR (Enhanced Parameters) - Knock Retard
O2B1S1 (Enhanced Parameters) - Oxygen Sensor
LONGFT1 (Data) - Long fuel trim(?)
TPS (Data) - Throttle Position Sensor
RPM (Data) - Engine Speed
VSS (Data) - Vehicle Speed
IAT (Data) - Intake Air Temperature
Boost_P (Equ) - Boost (PSI)

Notes:

LFT1(LONGFT1) - Tune at cruise & idle. closes to 0 is best, +/-5 is acceptable
O2L(O2B1S1) - Tune at WOT. 910 - 930 is optimal (Low = increase fuel/ High = decrease fuel)
MASS - Varies depending Mods (More to come later)
Boost_P - Is calculated from MAP, so MAP is required.

Hope the helps a bit.

Later eh!

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#48426 - 05/25/05 07:38 PM Re: scanning
steve6971 Offline
Loc: southern jersey
thanks for all of the help but i still got one question for candian gtp you said go download software from the site but which one do i download beacuse there are a few to pick from. thanks everyone
#48427 - 05/25/05 08:12 PM Re: scanning
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Yeah, his website lacks a little "usability".

1. Scroll down to the "Downloads" section (or click link)

2. Grab the one that says "Free complete working copy of the VE1 OBD-2 browser"

3. Then you can also download the enhanced add-on specific to your car (the first drop down list (enhanced real time data base streams). You'll only be able to use this part when you've purchased the cable though as it requires to be hooked up to see.

That's all the software you will need.

When your ready to buy, click the "Order" link which takes you to the types of connectors

Click on the paypal link (if that's how you want to buy it)

select the type of connector. GP's use VPW, select the shipping and BANG!

Your done.

Here's a link to a walkthough of the software that I found pretty useful when starting.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obd2a.htm

I hope that helps. You can always just email the guy aswell, he gets back pretty quick i find.

Later eh!

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.