Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115771 - 04/08/06 01:45 AM 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
bobfrompensacola Offline
Loc: Florida
I need your guys help. I’m lost. I have a 1999 GTP. I think my supercharger was getting noisy but wasn’t sure. Today my supercharger belt fell off. I noticed that my idler pulley is messed up. I also think I might have a little oil coming from my cone. I’m pretty good at fixing things and can probably fix what needs to be fixed, I’m just not sure what to fix. My oil level is just below the treads. The noise I was getting was like rocks rattling around. I’m hoping I don’t have to replace the entire supercharger. I don’t know much about this other than what I’ve read online. I can take pictures and send them to anyone whom might like to see what I have going on. Please email me rms@cox.net.

Thanks
Bob
rms@cox.net

Oh and I might add that my supercharger was working fine.
#115772 - 04/08/06 09:07 AM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Sounds like your idler pulley failed. Common problem. Your local auto parts store will have replacements. I would suggest changing out all of your tensioners and idlers, on both belts.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#115773 - 04/08/06 02:21 PM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
bobfrompensacola Offline
I changed out both idler pulley's and the tensioner pulley. This made a big deiiference in the ammount of sound coming from under the hood. My smooth idler pulley was ripped from the bearings and I found it laying under the engine. The grooved idler pulley was worn on the outer edge a lot and the smooth tensioner pulley's bearing rattled horribly. Not a bad investment. My car has 80,000 on it. The entire process took about 1 hour tops. The trickyest part was that my hex head socket was a little deep so I had to play with it a little to get it on the nut so I could tighten it up. All the bolts loosened counterclockwise. Hope this helps someone else in the future. Now I have to start thinking about what to do with my spout leaking a little oil from the tip and the abs tcs problem. I'm still under warranty so the dealer should at least take care of that.

Thanks
Bob Stevens
#115774 - 04/08/06 08:18 PM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
S/C oil should be at the bottom of the threads. If the snout is leaking oil from the end with the pulley that means you'll need a new bearing seal at a minimum. Becarefull most extended warrentees don't cover seals, rubber parts etc. I would definately do a warrentee claim at the minimum. You got it use it. Also while they have the snout off have them replace the coupler as well.
#115775 - 04/08/06 09:47 PM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
bobfrompensacola Offline
Thanks HercMan. I'm going to take it in this coming week and see what I can have done.

Bob
#115776 - 04/09/06 11:14 PM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
psuGTP Offline
Loc: Warminster, PA
the rattle could also be the coupler

my idler pulley broke off around 80,xxx also, common
#115777 - 04/14/06 01:01 PM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
Quote:
Originally posted by psuGTP:
the rattle could also be the coupler

my idler pulley broke off around 80,xxx also, common
I'm with psuGTP, I would put money that on that 99 its the coupler. Also, what is an idler pulley, I know there is a tensioner pulley, but I havnt heard a lot about problems with those. as far as the oil coming out, are you sure its SC oil, I mean you will be able to smell it cause it freaking stinks, but I would make sure that it is acutally SC oil and try to find out exactly where its coming from. Also, you are only supposed to have 8oz of sc fluid in your snout. That IS NOT enough to rais the oil to the "threads" where the plug screw screws in, if you have fluid up to that whole you might have to much... that might mean you blew a seal.

Here is a really easy way to tell if its the coupler, take the SC belt off and rock the pulley back and forth and if you feel it loose inside the snouth like chatting back and forth in there then its the coupler, if its smooth and you dont feel any give then it is something else

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#115778 - 04/15/06 12:17 AM Re: 1999 GTP Supercharger HELPPPP
GTP4LIFE Offline
Loc: Michigan
my idler broke also but my belt broke at the same time an took out the radiator. that pi$$ed me off. better off to replace them when they start makeing noise.
SLP loud mouth exaust, 3" down pipe "no cat", race ready trans, 3.0 quick change pulley (also got a 3.25 an 3.4),1.9 modified rockers with 105 springs, custom throttle body, custom CAI,custom sturt brace, gauge pod with boost an oil pressure,160 stat, limo window tint, reflective rear pontiac logo, sprint lowering springs, 18" giovanna corsica rims. 13.5 on my 18's with street tires.(GETTIN READY FOR A CAM REAL SOON GOT A TEP CAM FOR FREE)