Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31912 - 09/10/06 01:30 PM trouble starting please help!!!
1bad98gtp Offline
Loc: Montgomery Alabama
Ok here is the trouble. My 98 gtp will turn over but wont run. A few months ago I had sent the car to the dealer and had all the gaskets replaced along with the crank position sensor. Recently the car has been giving me trouble on start up. It will turn over but wont run. I sent the car to the shop and it fired right up. The car runs perfectly with no problems when it does run. The check engine light came on a few weeks ago when this trouble first started. I took the car to autozone and they told me i had a misfire on cylinder 1. I replaced the plug and the coil pack for that cylinder. I have replaced the fuel filter and I am still having this trouble. Sometimes it will crank and run and sometimes it will just turn over. Also when it does turn over and run there is a slight pause from when the starter disengauges and the car runs. It almost seems like the timing is a little off. I just dont know. I sent it to the shop and they could not find anything wrong. I got the car back home and it started up 1 time. I turned the car off and it would not run again 3 or 4 times that i cranked it. So right now i am at the mercy of when it wants to run. I checked all the relays and fuses and they look fine. Could there be something wrong with the ignition or is this fuel related. There is steady fuel pressure from the shrader valve when the ignition is turned on and the fuel pump is working. Please help!!!!!
#31913 - 09/10/06 06:41 PM Re: trouble starting please help!!!
Jon Szarka Offline
Loc: Philly
Ok well im not much of a mechanic, but i think you should put some STP entire Fuel sytem cleaner in the car. My car ran much better after that. And ya know, maybe the cps sensor is going again...i hate to say it but im thinking they threw a used part in there. Just a thought. Electronics can go at any time so that might be the problem, again. If its not that then check my blog and look at the other sensors and posts, there are a few good things in here that might lead you to your problem.
http://www.grandprix.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005871;p=0&r=nfx
#31914 - 09/10/06 07:30 PM Re: trouble starting please help!!!
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
How old is your battery? Sometimes an old battery can cause odd things to happen. Could be your CPS is going out again, perhaps a bad part.
#31915 - 09/10/06 07:50 PM Re: trouble starting please help!!!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I know you mentioned you changed the plug and coil pack but did you change the wire as well?
#31916 - 09/10/06 07:52 PM Re: trouble starting please help!!!
1bad98gtp Offline
Loc: Montgomery Alabama
I dont believe it is the battery. Like i said it will turn over all day long. I will try to put some fuel system cleaner in it and see what happens. It acts like it is not getting any spark from the ignition when it happens. The check engine light does not come on or throw any codes. Could it be the ecm going bad? Could this be a sign of the feul pump going bad? I know ou can hear the pump working with the ignition on. I believe the plugs are fine too. I bought them from zz performance and put them in before I sent the car to the dealer when the crank sensor was replaced. Is there anything else I should check?