Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39174 - 09/21/06 02:21 PM Transmission questions
tylermGTP2002LV Offline
Loc: Las Vegas
i have an 02 GTP, im looking at getting a new pcm for my car pretty soon, but my car, along with the newer ones of this bodystyle dont have performance shift installed, but the pcm says i have to also by the shift kit, and it says shift points are raised to 6000rpm? well my car already shifts at 6000 rpm at WOT...is it supposed to do that? im sorry if i ask so many questions, but the more i have this car the more i learn, and the more i can learn, the better prepared i can be for potential expensive problems in the future..
#39175 - 09/21/06 04:07 PM Re: Transmission questions
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
I believe it is supposed to shift at 5800 rpm @ WOT. Are you certain that yours shifts at 6k?

'97 SE with alot of mods
#39176 - 09/21/06 06:44 PM Re: Transmission questions
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Yep, it's 5800RPM with the pedal to the metal. Maybe the car already has a modified PCM in it? Did you buy it used?
#39177 - 09/21/06 10:01 PM Re: Transmission questions
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
Some cars are a little different.
Not to worry you, but worn clutch packs can cause a longer shift time which would explain the seemingly higher shift.

You don't need a shift kit with an aftermarket PCM. You can use a light one with a PCM though. Any harder of a shift kit along with an aftermarket PCM commanding higher line pressure can break stuff (and be a horrible ride).
#39178 - 09/21/06 11:00 PM Re: Transmission questions
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
First I would like to say.... I love my shift kit. Especially after the re-programmed PCM. Hearing the tires break loose on the 1-2 shift is satisfying.

Now... Take into consideration that the factory tach may not be as accurate as you would hope.

Now.... Even if the Tach is accurate.
I would like to ask everybody...... Isn't it possible that you could see 6000RPM between shifts?
There is a brief moment between shifts when the tranny isn't fully engaged. Is it possible that the engine is seeing those revs before landing in the next gear?

http://pdxcgp.com
#39179 - 09/21/06 11:06 PM Re: Transmission questions
tylermGTP2002LV Offline
yea you make a good point, i never really factored in all of those possibilities, and if i just get the standard pcm from intense, they say i dont need the shift kit, but from pfyc or ZZP it says i also need to purchase the shift kit since performance shift isnt offered on the newer GTPs
#39180 - 09/22/06 05:38 AM Re: Transmission questions
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I think you have the shift kit and the switch kit confused.

Yes the newer GPs don't have performance shift and DHPs PCM is written for the older GPs with the performance shift switch. Which means certain parts of the programming won't take affect with the switch in the off position. So you'll need the switch to activate those other parameters.

The newer GPs are programmed to be in "performance shift" all the time. So GM did away with the little button.
#39181 - 09/22/06 01:45 PM Re: Transmission questions
tylermGTP2002LV Offline
ah i see, so then i dont need to worry about purchasing that little doodad then?? but i think im going to get a standard intense pcm anyways, which says i dont need to do any of that
#39182 - 09/22/06 11:05 PM Re: Transmission questions
crimpton Offline
Ahh yes.... Herc is right......

A shift kit is a kit that is installed inside the transmission. You need to drop the pan, and do a minor disassembly to install a shift kit.

The Performance shift button is a button that '97-'00's came with that allows the driver to switch programming between casual to slightly aggressive commands from the PCM with the push of a button.

The advantage of having a PS button with a tuner is that you can program 2 different modes into the PCM, and switch between the 2 with a push of the button.

#39183 - 09/23/06 09:25 PM Re: Transmission questions
Geoff Offline
Loc: michigan
has anyone ever seen track times that show improvement with the performance shift button on? i use mine sometimes but i dont know if it really helps? i can feel the difference a little bit during normal driving but thats all. i thought the same thing about the tranny shifting at 6k but the tach is probrably just off.
#39184 - 09/23/06 11:02 PM Re: Transmission questions
crimpton Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
has anyone ever seen track times that show improvement with the performance shift button on?
No, but I've used it as an excuse.... laugh

I would say there is more of a change due to driver error than there is with that button.... You would have to make 10-20 runs to find out if there are any differences.... I'm always looking to go faster.... No time for experiments... wink