Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93242 - 07/21/07 07:01 PM Engine just guzzling fuel...
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Yeah. I drove for an hour today and went threw a half a tank of gas.

No, I was not beating on it.

Help!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#93243 - 07/21/07 09:14 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
98gpse Offline
Loc: Cobourg Ontario
Check under the car and see if you fuel lines are rotten. I'm having the same prob and that's what it is(with me anyway).

1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX SE with 3800- U-bend delete, CherryBomb glasspack, Gutted air box, drop in K&N
#93244 - 07/21/07 09:46 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Have you done the math to make sure your gauge is not bad? Fill up, reset the trip odometer, drive for awhile, go fill up again, and divide the miles you drove by the number of gallons you put in.

You also gotta remember... your car demands alot more fuel than it used to, even under light throttle.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#93245 - 07/22/07 04:47 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
bikrboy128 Offline
Loc: Illinois
a half tank in a hour is still alot, maybe your car got confuzzled somewhere after you did the top swap. im thinking what drummerboy is thinking
#93246 - 07/22/07 11:35 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
*Nice-Try* Offline
Loc: Kitchener, Ontario
Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
Have you done the math to make sure your gauge is not bad? Fill up, reset the trip odometer, drive for awhile, go fill up again, and divide the miles you drove by the number of gallons you put in.

You also gotta remember... your car demands alot more fuel than it used to, even under light throttle.
Very good place to start.
x2 on checking fuel lines, ur car would run like crap if it was actually using all that fuel
#93247 - 07/22/07 04:08 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
lonezergling Offline
Well I had a post and accidentally closed the window before I clicked "Add Reply" banghead

I estimated my mpg to be around 8 and a 1/3 mpg if I really am using this much fuel.

My exhaust smells God aweful though. Like I feel bad for anybody behind me when I idle.

I think I may be running really rich on the bottom end, causing me to burn too much fuel under normal driving.

"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#93248 - 07/22/07 05:03 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
98gpse Offline
You custom tuned your PCM right? My guess is that you or who ever tuned it messed up a little but get that fixed quick so you don't wash down the cylinder walls, not to mention the amount of gas you'll be go through.

1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX SE with 3800- U-bend delete, CherryBomb glasspack, Gutted air box, drop in K&N
#93249 - 07/22/07 09:31 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
lonezergling Offline
I got my PCM from ZZP. I selected the top-swap option when I added it to the cart but I also asked them to put in the XP cam tables.

When I got the PCM it said top-swap on the back but nothing about the cam.

And I think there might be an issue with my cat-back and how it comes apart all the time.

The car seems to drive/accel/cruise/handle much smoother when the muffs are attached, not to mention it's easier on the ears.

When it's disconnected, everything feels kind of rough...

#93250 - 07/22/07 09:41 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
20gtp02 Offline
You need to somehow send them your bin so they can look at it, or at least post it up here or something. I wouldn't of done a top swap if I didn't have somewhere or myself ready for scannning and tuning.

All your injectors seated correctly?

#93251 - 07/22/07 10:32 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
98gpse Offline
Well is your SES light on? If not then I would say that it is your PCM and I would fix that pronto. Super rich fuel mixtures for almost any period of time will wear away at those cylinder walls and then it good bye compression and hello oil burning.

#93252 - 07/23/07 12:08 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
lonezergling Offline
I'm not leaking fuel anywhere I can see. Nothing around the injectors or the rails.

Bothing under the car.

No SES light, other than when I'm idling too long and that's just the P0300 code form the XP cam.

I have 2 aeroforce scan gauges, I just don't have any way of recording my scans or tuning.

I'm looking at a tuner right now though. Guess I don't really have a choice huh?

#93253 - 07/23/07 01:39 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
That 2.5" d/p is a big restriction for you now. You need headers to take advantage of all the extra air your engine is moving.

'97 SE with alot of mods
#93254 - 07/23/07 11:39 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
zuulmusic Offline
Loc: Cleveland, OH
what is your LTFT reading at idle and cruise?
#93255 - 07/23/07 11:52 AM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Be very careful burning that much fuel, you can actually start your car on fire via the catalytic convertor.

When I was a mechanic, I used to see a few cars now and then that were burning rich up on the lift and the convertor gets red-hot glowing.

You need to fix the problem sooner rather than later.
#93256 - 07/23/07 01:17 PM Re: Engine just guzzling fuel...
lonezergling Offline
My LTFT is usually reading 0.0 at idle IIRC.

Cruise... I'm not sure.

I just unplugged the batt for half an hour and let the trims reset.

I'm going to go real easy on her and see what happens.

I think the problem may have been when I was doing my original trim learning.

I didn't have the vac lines hooked up properly and I think I may have accidently cause everything to constantly read boost via not hooking up the BBV. IIRC, the vavle was always closed (down).

We'll see what happens...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >