Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#63758 - 08/15/07 10:43 AM well got some bad news
bigystyle Offline
Loc: Canada
Inspection was due on my car and just had it done. I live in an apt building and am not that great with mechanics so I get most of my work done at the garage.

anyways, it needs a rocker panel with the other one not in great shape but no holes. it also needs front wheel bearings, rotors, brake pads, steel brake line from front to back, front passenger ABS wiring broken, control arm bushings. The mechanic also told me the underneath is showing its age and is getting quite rusty. Gas tank straps are in poor condition. The motor is leaking motor oil (mechanic just noticed, looked like oil pan leak) and power steering fluid is also leaking.

Its a 1997 SE, all options, 219,000 KMs. I only paid $3200 for it 1 year ago and is used as a 2nd car. Do you think its worth all of this work?
#63759 - 08/15/07 11:07 AM Re: well got some bad news
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
It *might* need that stuff, but who says you have to do it all at once? Just replace what you can, when you can. Most of that you can do yourself with a basic set of tools.
#63760 - 08/15/07 12:11 PM Re: well got some bad news
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Things that do NOT affect inspection:

Rocker panel (unless noticable frame bending is evident)
Wheel bearings (unless the wheel can be moved around while off the ground on a lift (loose)
Rotors (unless they are too thin, ask to see the measurements from their shop calibrated caliper)
Brake pads unless they are less than 1/8" thick
Anything to do with ABS
Steel brake line (unless you have no pedal, leaking)

Now, I am not saying you don't need all that work done, but to "pass" inspection it does not. I was a certified NYS car inspector for many years and NY is one of the worst states as far as inspections go.

I say get a second opinion from a differant mechanic shop. Tell them NOTHING about your previous mechanic visit and see what they come up with.

if you car really does have all those issues, you might be better off trying to sell it and get a differant one, they are fairly cheap if you look around hard enough.
#63761 - 08/15/07 12:17 PM Re: well got some bad news
Richard Candelario Offline
I agree with Rook. The rotors and pads are EASY with a metric and SAE ratchet set. For awhile there, I was even using the car's scissor jack instead of stands (be forewarned, though, doing so is very dangerous as the car is unstable and could fall, causing serious injury or death).

The ABS wires: Good luck.

Tank straps SHOULD be easy.

Brake line might be easy. I doubt there are many tools needed for that.

Bushings and chassis rust/corrosion control might get a little pricey.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#63762 - 08/15/07 12:34 PM Re: well got some bad news
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
When you say it needs steel braided brake lines from front to rear, are you talking about the rubber brake lines at the calipers or the metal brake lines attached to the underside of the car that run from the master cylinder to the wheel wells?

And as far as what you need to pass inspection, check with your local area.
I think here in TX if your car has ABS, they must be in working condition to pass inspection.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#63763 - 08/15/07 12:46 PM Re: well got some bad news
bigystyle Offline
Loc: Canada
I am in New Brunswick Canada where Inspection policies are the toughest in the country. ABS has to be in 100% working condition. Rocker Panels have to be free of holes. The Wheel bearing has to be replaced. The brakes have to be in "safe working order" so if a Mechanic feels pads/rotors are worn, they can fail them. Its already been written up and failed....I can either fix it or get a sticker illegally. Im going to fix it up using all economy parts. I already called a friend of mine and also got quotes, we think we can do it for $500 ish ourselves at his place. picked up some short haired fiber glass and a role of 3/16 steel line for the brakes. wheel bearing was most expensive part at $210. bought cheap rotors for $25 each and pads at $22 each. as far as the leaking oil and power steering, i could care less for now.
#63764 - 08/15/07 01:03 PM Re: well got some bad news
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
The rockers have to be free of holes...in Canada??!
Wow, that sucks as I imagine a lot of cars up there have holes due to the weather..

Everything can be done, but its gonna take time, patience and a little bit of know-how.

I am sure any questions you may end up with you can ask here and will be answered nicely though.
#63765 - 08/16/07 12:16 AM Re: well got some bad news
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I would'nt worry about the oil pan leak about 90% of these cars leak but it's not usually a magor leak ,as far as the brake lines they may be rusty but if they do'nt leak I would wire brush them down good and spray with undercoating this will slow the rusting process and will probably pass avisual inspection,now the rocker panels you could add the GT plastic side skirts after patching the holes ,if most northerers removed there side skirts I'm sure they'd find rust holes,a good idea would be to clean up your underside and spray a good coating of rubberized undercoat about $7 a can plan on useing about 3 cans.Chico(pops)