Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59878 - 06/05/08 01:34 PM MAF Sensor
J_Man55 Offline
Loc: Indiana
I got the SES light today and took it to autozone to see what the code was. It's the P0102 (MAF low input or something like that). This is my second time having this code and was wondering about my options. Obviously I could go out and buy a new MAF sensor right away, but what about checking for leaks and cleaning the sensor? Should I try these before buying a new sensor? I've also heard that the MAF sensors were poorly made in the first place, is it worth $130 for a new one? How do I check for leaks and/or clean the sensor?

BTW my car is a 97 GTP.
#59879 - 06/05/08 01:40 PM Re: MAF Sensor
20gtp02 Offline
If it is the second time you got the code, then it might be time for replacement.
You can get at it two ways. Take the rubber intake off and spray through the trottle body, or get some sockets, tamper proof ones, to take the maf sensor out of the trottle body. You want to get MAF sensor cleaner or electronics cleaner at parts store. You just spray the small filament like wires in the MAF, and the spray dries instantly basically. Then try running that.
There shouldn't be leaks that would cause that.
You also can try running the car, and then unplugging the MAF sensor and see how the car runs. If it runs better, than your MAF is shot (this isn't always the case though). If you had a scanner you would be able to see your fuel trims will be off the charts, this is caused by the MAF sensor (your P0102 code). Mine went out two months ago, and for the price I upgraded mine for something better, for less the price of stock replacement. This though, will require adjustments to the PCM. You can buy a new one or try Ed Morad for a used one, he owns GP junk yard.
www.moradpartscompany.com

#59880 - 06/05/08 01:57 PM Re: MAF Sensor
soulonfire11 Offline
Loc: Chicago
One from ed morad will run you 65 dollars. try cleaning it first, buy special cleaner thats ment for the MAF
#59881 - 06/05/08 03:27 PM Re: MAF Sensor
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Try posting in the "want to buy" section of clubgp, I purchased a 97-98 stock MAF for $35 from someone who upgraded to an LQ4.
#59882 - 06/06/08 11:15 PM Re: MAF Sensor
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
If it is the second time you got the code, then it might be time for replacement.
Agreed.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.