Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143822 - 04/12/10 06:23 PM Fuel Line "O" Rings
BDEGhost Offline
Loc: Quakertown, PA
Well, I have completed my upper end rebuild with new lifters, LIM gasket (aluminum), new Dorman UIM, gaskets, etc., etc., etc. After putting it all back together, oil change, AF flush, new Prestone yellow AF, the only remaining problem was the connection where the pressure fuel line connects to the fuel rail. On a N/A 3.8L, these are plastic squeeze clips. My problem was that if I twisted the connector a certain way, a small amount of fuel would seep out. It bothered me enough that I searched for and found new "O" rings by Dorman #800-013. I planned on replacing the "O" rings on the 3/8" line, but I found out that the Dorman "O" rings were wrong. They were 3/8" and 5/16", but I didn't realize when I bought them that these dimensions were Outside Diameter, not Inside Diameter. So, they were too small. Since I wanted to fire up my engine to see if all that I had done would work without leaks, I temporarily replaced the 2 "O" rings with one thicker 3/8" I.D. "O" ring made out of neoprene. I know that neoprene doesn't hold up to gasoline, but I put it in to test the rest of my work. It works O.K. with no leaks, but I guess I can't leave it in there.
My question to all of you is: have any of you fixed a fuel line and if so, how did you do it? If I have to buy a complete fuel line from the dealer I will do this. I assume if I buy a new line from the dealer, it will be a complete line from the plastic connector all the way back to the fuel filter? I wonder, is it possible to just replace the plastic connector that is "shoved" into the 3/8" plastic line?

Thanks for any help any one can give me on this. I am anxious to get my car back on the road and the only thing that prevents me from doing so is the lousy fuel fitting
#143823 - 04/12/10 07:10 PM Re: Fuel Line "O" Rings
GrindingNemo Offline
Loc: Missoula MT
Im pretty sure this was answered in your last post about the same thing...
#143824 - 04/12/10 08:21 PM Re: Fuel Line "O" Rings
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
You can buy just the connectors, but you'll probably break the lines trying to get the old ones out. Dorman also has fuel line repair kits:

(800-059) 3/8 in. quick connector, 90 degree with 18 in. of 3/8 in. nylon tube and a union

(800-060) 5/16" Quick Connector, 90 Degree w/ 18" of 5/16" Nylon Tube and a union

You just cut the nylon lines with a razor blade, soak the ends in hot water for 15-20 minutes, then connect them with the brass unions. Check out Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or www.rockauto.com