Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213919 - 05/25/11 11:52 PM i need help with my grand prix bad
mike302 Offline
Loc: waterford michigan
i need help bad.i went to go start my gar the other day and it wouldnt start.i thought i just needed a jump but that was not the case.so far i replaced the starter,the battery,the battery cables both pos/neg and checked all the fuses and relays.still nothing.all im getting is a weak crank over like the battery is dead but i know thats not the case because i have it attached to a battery charger.all my lights are bright and everything comes on like normal it just wont start.i had my starter tested so i know thats good.what could it be.please email me with any thoughts on what could solve my problem.my email is steringmike302@gmail.com.please i really need help im all out of ideas.
#213923 - 05/26/11 04:12 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
Richard Candelario Offline
how certain are you that the battery cables are on correctly? I'm no slouch at working on cars, but these cables...they sure are picky. Also: possible ignition switch, starter circuit fuse/breaker/relay, or a short in the cabling somewhere.

Welcome to the board!

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#213924 - 05/26/11 04:23 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
mike302 Offline
i put the cables on the same way the came off so i know thats not the issue.i replaces the pos and neg cables to the battery also ant thats not the issue.i know its not the ing switch or a short because i cant even jump the starter with the key on.so thats not the problem.i was told that i might have hydo locked the engine.i was told to take out my plugs and try turning over the engine and see if anything comes out.but it still wont turn over with the plugs out.it does a litte bit better than befor but still not normal.
#213930 - 05/26/11 08:16 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
Richard Candelario Offline
Are you sure they're torqued down correctly? My cables are on right, but they do tend to rotate ever so slightly and only cause problems when I go to start. The lights and "avionics" (sorry, that's about as good as I can describe it all) will prime and arm and such, but die when I try to start. If it ain't that, I'm stumped.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#213932 - 05/26/11 08:51 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
r.s.hutchinson Offline
Loc: Ontario, Canada
My first thoughts when I read it were that it may be hydrolocked or the oil pump is going and it's starting to seize. It should turn over VERY easy with no plugs in it since there would be no compression.

When you try to turn the motor over, do the interior lights get dim?
#213935 - 05/26/11 09:10 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
jjcom Offline
Loc: USA
Try turning it over by hand. Not sure if it can be done from up top...but if you take off the tire and inner panels the crank pulley can be gotten to. If it's hard still, something let loose in the engine.
#213941 - 05/26/11 11:42 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
mike302 Offline
so i figured it out..it was nothing to do with anything i have replaced.it turns out the ac compressor was seized and it was not letting the engine turn over.i changed the ac compressor to a bypass pulley for now and it works great now.thanks for all the advice and help..i will deffanitley come here for further problems i may have..
#213973 - 05/28/11 04:21 PM Re: i need help with my grand prix bad [Re: mike302]
stoveguy Offline
Loc: minnesota
a/c clutch should be disabled as you crank motor. once started, it engages. so clutch was locked on and compressor was seized? now thats fubar.