Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18333 - 11/19/04 11:25 AM New coils and plug wires
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Since the ignition coils and spark plug wires are original on my car, with 68k miles, I figure it's not a bad idea to change them out. First question would be - am I jumping the gun on this and should wait longer? Secondly, I don't need anything fancy but what are some good brands for the coils and wires, if I'm using factory-spec plugs? Last of all, how difficult will changing these items out be, and any specialized tools required?

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#18334 - 11/19/04 12:10 PM Re: New coils and plug wires
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can save money and leave the original coils alone (I could be completely wrong). It's the wires that you want to upgrade (have no idea what brand to recommend, I think it's more personal prefference).

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#18335 - 11/19/04 02:14 PM Re: New coils and plug wires
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
I considered upgrading my SP Wires until I read ZZ's article. Not saying don't do it, but something to consider...

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/info/bad_mods.htm

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#18336 - 11/19/04 02:44 PM Re: New coils and plug wires
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Austin GTP:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can save money and leave the original coils alone (I could be completely wrong). It's the wires that you want to upgrade (have no idea what brand to recommend, I think it's more personal prefference).
Yeah, this was a topis a few months back where the stock coil packs are the best option. Just leave the stock coil alone.

If memory serves me right, Austin did say that aftermarket are just for the "bling bling factor".
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#18337 - 11/19/04 03:03 PM Re: New coils and plug wires
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
No, wasn't me. I remember that topic, and I remember someone mentioning the "bling-bling factor", but wasn't me. zachd or why2kmax comes to mind, maybe it was one of them.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#18338 - 11/19/04 03:14 PM Re: New coils and plug wires
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Sorry. I'm losing my mind... wait a minute... didn't know I had one... lol
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali
#18339 - 11/20/04 02:56 AM Re: New coils and plug wires
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I mentioned the bling factor. Any quality aftermarket wire or even OEMs from the stealership will do just fine. The coils I'd leave alone till they fail. Not very common. Besides I've heard complaints about MSDs coils faiing long before the OEMs do.
#18340 - 11/20/04 09:11 AM Re: New coils and plug wires
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
Okay thanks for all the info guys. I can do without the "blinginess" of new coils lol , if they don't need to be changed I'm not changing them, which is exactly why I asked first. So wires I guess I'll just stick to OEM since my engine isn't really modded at all.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/