Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55815 - 08/27/03 06:00 PM Transmission whine
T. Metzger Offline
Loc: Edwards, CO
Over the last couple months I've noticed an increasingly apparent whine coming from my transmission at higher RPM's (say 2800 and up). It's louder during hard acceleration, or going up steep grades (I live in the mountains near Vail, CO). Haven't noticed any performance changes, but the sound is definitely disconcerting. Any suggestions? I recently had the A/T fluid changed and I just checked it again today. Color is good, but if anything, it's OVER filled. Can this cause problems?
#55816 - 08/28/03 02:45 PM Re: Transmission whine
T. Metzger Offline
You guys got anything? If low A/T fluid can cause low pressure in the lines, will too much fluid result in high pressure?
#55817 - 09/01/03 10:17 PM Re: Transmission whine
transam78 Offline
Loc: New York City
Have you checked your other oil? I had a similar problem and found out that it my car was low on power steering fluid (even it wasn't leaking). Try keeping your car on park and pressing the accelerator to see if you still hear the sound.
#55818 - 09/02/03 09:32 AM Re: Transmission whine
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
It's not the whine of the supercharger is it?
Does the sound get louder as the boost gauge reads higher boost?

Just a thought. If you can hear it while the car is in park, check the supercharger oil. It should be changed every 30,000 miles.

Good Luck.

Andrew
#55819 - 09/04/03 11:10 AM Re: Transmission whine
T. Metzger Offline
I don't think it's either of those possibilities. No increase in sound when I turn the wheel, so I don't think it's a P/S problem. The sound definitely corresponds with acceleration. And it doesn't make the sound when the transmission is disengaged (neutral or park), so it doesn't seem to be the supercharger either. The sound gets louder the longer I drive the car. When I first take the car out on a given day, the sound is barely audible, but it becomes significant the longer I drive and the more I get on the accelerator (highway on ramps, in particular, where I know all you GTP owners love to get on it!). Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Anyone with more ideas?
#55820 - 09/04/03 08:34 PM Re: Transmission whine
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by T. Metzger:
(highway on ramps, in particular, where I know all you GTP owners love to get on it!).
Guilty as charged savewave

As much as I'm sure you would hate to, you might need to take it to a good transmission shop and see what they say. Find one that's been in buisness for a long time.

Good luck!!

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#55821 - 09/05/03 03:48 PM Re: Transmission whine
T. Metzger Offline
Well, I miss spoke in my last post on this topic saying there was no sound when the trans. is disengaged. Guess I wasn't very observant when I did this before, but I took a good long listen sitting in the parking lot today and sure enough, there it was. I'll start with the S/C and check the oil. Does S/C oil breakdown like motor oil can? I had it checked not long ago when I had the other vital fluids changed and they said it looked good. They may have just meant that the level was adequate, but not necessarily the state of the oil.

I also took a look at my belts, and one of them is developing a few cracks. Cause for noise?
#55822 - 09/06/03 12:09 AM Re: Transmission whine
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
S/C Oil: Should be changed every 30,000 miles. Not sure what the consequences are, but probably isn't good. It's easy to do and definetly worth the $12 or so. If you want to remove a little and check it, the clearer the better. Mine was a dark color when I finally changed it. Dark = Old.

S/C Belt: The stock belt is very loud. I didn't notice it at first, but when I took my 3.4" pulley off my car and put the factory pulley and belt back on, I noticed a huge sound difference. Look into the Gatorback belt at GrandPrixStore.com. If it's cracking anyways, it's worth the replacement.
#55823 - 09/08/03 10:56 PM Re: Transmission whine
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
transmission whines are usually a pump problem.
#55824 - 03/10/06 06:26 PM Re: Transmission whine
pedal down Offline
Loc: Niagara Falls, NY
i know this is an old thread but what pumps need to be checked? because mine is now doing the same thing. my buddy said his made this noise then his tranny went. i hope its just a pump.

Homemade K&N FWI, Ported Mani's, 3" RT DP soon: PCM, HV TB, HV3