Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13183 - 09/06/07 08:39 PM Trans Shifts Hard cold
chevyman8153 Offline
Loc: Saint Johns
I left for work and it was upper 60's out and I didn't let it run more than 30 seconds before I took off. It shifted hard all the way to work (approx 11 miles). Instead of the normal smooth and barely noticeable shifts they were apparent but not horribly jerky. I made it to work and went inside for 15 min or so and came out and got in it and went to the bank and it was just like normal. All the way home it was fine. It has never done that before to the best of my knowledge. Am I a little worried for nothing or do I have good reason to be slightly concerned????

Almost 88,000 miles on her.
#13184 - 09/06/07 08:46 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
GTPJesse Offline
Loc: Wis
Lol, mine just did that, and I was about to ask the same queston.....sorry for the no help. But were in the same boat.
Appearance mods= 20% tint all around, HID's, rerouted flashes to fogs and tails, front grill has a Red Gtp badge,Calipers painted red, engine cover painted silver, and with red lettering, rear pontiac red overlays, and side Gtp badges have red overlays, Silver star fogs, A piller w/gauges boost installed, oil, knock have to be installed, and a GPS.

Mods to come= 3" DP, and others........haven't thought about it
#13185 - 09/06/07 09:24 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
D Bold Offline
Loc: Warwick, RI
you need to let it warm up before you go off...dont get in and roll...and how many miles do you have and has it had its 100x mile tune-up??
#13186 - 09/06/07 09:24 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
chevyman8153 Offline
well just keep an eye out for posts on my thread
#13187 - 09/06/07 09:25 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
D Bold Offline
oh yea nvm on the mileage
#13188 - 09/06/07 09:31 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
chevyman8153 Offline
How long should I let it warm up, i've just got in and left many times before and never had this happen. even when it was colder that I described. If you read my whole post I put how many miles it has because I knew that would be a question. i got the car with 80,000 and right after I got it I took it to have the trans fluid flushed and a new trans filter and yes they did it right not just drop the pan and let the oil drain out and fill it back up. Is there something else I should have done?
#13189 - 09/06/07 09:35 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
Arcxnus Offline
Loc: Texas
You probably should not have had the trans flushed with the amount of miles it had on it. There's a history of trans failure with higher mileage trannies that have been flushed after never being serviced like that before. It dislodges any particles like metal shavings or the like that have stuck to the internal parts, which leaves them free to wreak havoc on the inside of the tranny.

Not saying there's a cause for alarm, but you really should have only changed the fluid. You may not have hurt it, a one-time circumstance like this really isn't much to worry about, especially since you said it wasn't really bad and nothing was slipping.

Food for thought.

Edit: Oh, also, if you have done any 'spirited' driving lately, the PCM is constantly learning and adjusting to your driving habits so that may have contributed. At any rate, we can't really tell you much.

Check the tranny fluid for discoloration, burnt smell, any particles stuck to the dipstick, etc.
#13190 - 09/06/07 10:20 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
chevyman8153 Offline
Well i did get on it a bit a couple times the day before which is contrary to what I normally do. So may be it did change something and when I didn't get on it again it learned its self back, I dunno in any rate I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had it happen or maybe help someone else. Thanks for the info though.
#13191 - 09/06/07 10:21 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
D Bold Offline
[If you read my whole post I put how many miles it has because I knew that would be a question.]

which is why I posted what I said...

[oh yea nvm on the mileage]
#13192 - 09/07/07 11:50 AM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
chevyman8153 Offline
yeah sorry. i wrote that before i saw your correction. i just hate it when people don't read all of the post and comment. no prob man, thanks for the info.
#13193 - 09/07/07 03:04 PM Re: Trans Shifts Hard cold
ifitwasnt4u Offline
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Like Arcxnus said, it is bad to do a complete flush on a high millage tranny. A simple fluid and filter change will be whats best for your tranny. Is the car still doing it, or was it just a one time thing?