Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106362 - 08/13/04 12:40 PM Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
This happened once last night and once this morning.
My idle jumps up 1000rpm's and hangs there, around 1500-2000. It won't come down. I turn the key off and wait about 2 seconds, start it back up and everything's fine.
Any idea's?

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#106363 - 08/13/04 12:45 PM Re: Idle Problem
blown_gp Offline
Loc: Memphis
Get the car scanned, a buddy of mine had the same problem and it ended up being the trottle positioning sensor, but at this point we can only assume
#106364 - 08/13/04 12:56 PM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
That's the first thing that came to mind, I guess I'm just looking for a confirmation.

ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#106365 - 08/13/04 02:11 PM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
AutoZone told me they can't scan it if the check engine light is not on, it'll show a pass on all codes. My check engine light is not on.
I'll just get the TPS and put it on tonight.

#106366 - 08/13/04 02:54 PM Re: Idle Problem
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
I have also heard of idling problems on some of the GP's when he T/B screen is removed, probably not the case, just a thought though

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#106367 - 08/13/04 03:04 PM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
D'OH!!!
My throttle body screens been removed for about 6 months now.
banghead

#106368 - 08/13/04 06:59 PM Re: Idle Problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
If it does it again leave the engine running and unplug the TPS if the engine slows down(it'll still be a bit higher then normal but not as high as 1500) then your TPS is hanging up if it stays the same then the problem is somewhere else.
#106369 - 08/13/04 07:56 PM Re: Idle Problem
4rsssfed_grandprix98 Offline
Loc: South Bend
welp, you can rule out my idea

* In 97 and 98 GM incorporated the MAF channel into the TB itself. On these cars we have noticed that some of them will idle rough without the screen in the throttle body. If you experience this, simply replace your screen.

-zzperformance.com-

VS Cam,CompCams lifters,ZZPpushrods,Rollmaster double,4"intake,PLog headers,3"exhaust,IntensePCM,3.3"mps,ZZPHDTrans,3.29gears,2500 stall,GMPP adjustable suspension,TB spacer,160*tstat
#106370 - 08/13/04 08:00 PM Re: Idle Problem
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Umm far fetched but i had this problem on my grand prix after i had my interior out a few times. I would install the interior back into the car and a piece would fall down and hold the gas down after i hit that gas. Then would stick. It was something simple but for the longest time i coudlnt figure it out i physically had a piece holding my gas pedal down!!!!
#106371 - 08/13/04 09:24 PM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
Okay...TPS has been ruled out, unless of course the new one is just as defective as the old one.
Thanks for the idea Zach, but the pedal is free and clear.
Earlier today it was holding at 3000rpm's, at idle. It seems to be fine when it's cold. After it warms up a bit, it starts climbing.

I'm an old schooler when it comes to cars, grew up with carbs and distributors. I barely know enough about electronically controlled cars to save my life. I'm mechanically inclined enought to be able to change what ever needs to be changed. I just don't have what it takes to diagnose the problems on cars that are electronically controlled.
I give you a little on my back ground to excuse any stupid question from this point.

What controls the idle on these things?
Does it go bad? Well I guess everything can go bad.
Is it expensive?
There is a device that lays flat on top of the throttle body. Does this controll the idle? When I unplugged it the car died. Could this be the culprit?
Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

Hoping to get fixed in time to leave for Texas Motor Speedway tomorrow, hoping to drive around the track a couple of times.

#106372 - 08/13/04 11:04 PM Re: Idle Problem
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
Umm I think the thing that you unplugged was your MAF. Not sure but from teh way you describe it thats why. ( I wasnt incinuating you werent mechanically inclined its just that it took someone else to show me what was wrong on mine because i didnt look at the obvious, i to was under teh hood making sure something wasnt unplugged or the difficult things) cheers
#106373 - 08/14/04 12:47 AM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by zachd:
I wasnt incinuating you werent mechanically inclined
No dude, I never even thought that...I'm just freaking frustrated with myself for not being able to fix what seems to be a simple problem. All week I've been planning on going up to TMS and driving my car around the track. Now I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. I'm not sure I want to go out on the road with it acting up like this.

#106374 - 08/14/04 01:34 AM Re: Idle Problem
daverobs11 Offline
Loc: michigan
Austin....

Years back I had a '89 Grand Am (Tech 4) engine that developed the same problem....After driving a few minutes, engine raced....I had to hold brake down hard at intersections. My Grand Am had no Tach so I couldn't tell what RPM's it raced at, but my SES light did come on. Had it scanned and found that the TPS sensor failed. It was soo bad, the car would drive at 40MPH down the highway without touching the gas pedal. The grand am had 170,000 miles on the quad 4 engine, I got $1000 for it on a trade in.....hope you find your prob!
Dave
#106375 - 08/14/04 08:05 AM Re: Idle Problem
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I had a ford truck that had the TPS go bad it would hold the motor at 3,000 rpm. That had a five speed in it. Try to stay at a stop light then let off the gas with that kind of rpm. The PCM controls the idle speed with inputs from the TPS, trans, O2 sensors MAF etc. The flat thing ontop that you unplugged was the MAF. The TPS will be closer to the throttle linkage.
#106376 - 08/14/04 09:20 AM Re: Idle Problem
AustinGTP Offline
I changed the TPS, problem still there. A couple of people have told me it's the TPS. but not this time.
Some one told me to turn the key in the on position and keep it there for 10 sec. This will reset something in the MAF. Haven't try it yet, plan on doing it this morning.
I was thinking about changing back to my stock PCM. I might do that if reseting the MAF doesn't work.

I have noticed that it happens when I get on the gas hard. If I just cruise around nice and easy, it's fine. After I changed the TPS, and it did it again, it was idling at 1500. It has not gone back up to 3000rpm's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >