Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111355 - 01/21/09 09:40 PM She's Burnin Oil!
Speed_99 Offline
Loc: Ottawa ON Canada
Im Sorry to bug you guys again, but i cant seem to keep my oil up, she's leakin alittle around the pan, but no drops in the snow, nothin major. But yet the oil keeps going down, i topped it maybe 2 weeks ago, and just checked it tonight and she's back down 2-3 holes again. ive noticed a few times when it was really cold out, there was brownish colored smoke coming out the pipes, then it goes regular white smoke after 5 seconds or so. why is this? and the burnin oil part, something that can be fixed easily? or is my motor going? and is there any relation with my Torque Converter going to s**t?

3'DP, Magnaflo Cat, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster Super 40's, FWI System, Soon 3.4 Pulley Swap, Colder Plugs, Coldair Intake. Still Searching. Need Suggestions
#111356 - 01/21/09 09:43 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
idk but i noticed mine lost a wee bit oil ,makes me kinda worried.

but hoping to get a reply for both of us.

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#111357 - 01/21/09 09:51 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
Burning oil would color the smoke of a bluish tint, much like a weedwhacker.

Although, if you burn enough of it, it can become brown/black colored smoke.

And no, it probably has nothing to do with your TC dying. Unless when it fragged it seized up the tranny and brought the motor to an instant halt. Then maybe in some strange, unknown way, your TC could have caused this.

...but not likely.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#111358 - 01/21/09 10:10 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
Most likely the leak is the oil pan gasket. While sitting still, the oil level is below the gasket level so it should not leak. Taking corners, braking & turning cause the level to rise above the gasket allowing some to weep out the void. Except for keeping an extra eye on the oil level the only other fix besides replacing the gasket is a temp one that may work. Once it warms up, you can clean the edge of the pan and gasket with some degreaser and then liberally apply some new sealant around the top of the pan by the gasket. DO NOT force it in, just wipe on with fingers. This should help slow it down.

Some people swear by additives (motor honey, stop leak etc), but I believe they are just oil thickeners. I would be willing to try Valvoline MaxLife oil. It has seal conditioners that may swell your gaskets. I know their maxlife power steering fluid pretty much stopped two of my other cars power steering leaks.

03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator
#111359 - 01/21/09 10:50 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
Speed_99 Offline
ok thanks ill try that, but still, would it put my oil down that much, this crazy. im changing my oil this weekend actually, ive got alot of different suggestions on types of oils, anymore would be great. i have 130,000kms on her. so its gettin up there, maybe ill go back to mobile 1 synthetic. i dont know, but if you think that valvoline max life is the way to go maybe ill give it a shot

3'DP, Magnaflo Cat, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster Super 40's, FWI System, Soon 3.4 Pulley Swap, Colder Plugs, Coldair Intake. Still Searching. Need Suggestions
#111360 - 01/22/09 08:04 AM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Is it going through oil faster then a quart ever 1000 miles?

If so you got some problems. Leaky oil pan gasket isn't going to seap that much out while driving. If it was you'd definately be leaving drops on the ground every where you stop.

Heavy smoke on start up is valve seals, smoke under accelleration is rings.

I'd get a compression check done if your burning more then 1 quart every 1,000 miles.
#111361 - 01/22/09 08:40 AM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've got a pretty bad oil pan leak and I only lose MAYBE half a quart in 3000miles.
#111362 - 01/22/09 03:21 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
Speed_99 Offline
only heavy brownish smoke when it was really cold, any other time theres no smoke, is this normal? and on heavy acceleration ive never really seen any smoke, just regular exaust, im changin the oil on saturday, so ill let you guys know in a few weeks if shes still losing oil or not, sometimes i was told if you overfill even the slightest little bit, she'll never stay level, so im going to make sure its exactly at the mark, or is this even true? and im going with valvoline max life, i was told it was great. either that or mobile 1 synthetic. i used to use it all the time, i think ill go back to it.

#111363 - 01/22/09 03:30 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Brownish smoke sounds more like an over rich condition which sounds about right when it's really cold out.
#111364 - 01/22/09 04:24 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
Speed_99 Offline
awesome so nothin to worry about then? and for the oil lose, its not major, it went down maybe 2 holes on the stick in the last 2-3 weeks, so its not major.i should be ok right? i just put this motor in last fall so i am just alittle nervous you know

#111365 - 01/22/09 09:57 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I would'nt worry about a 10yr old car that you need to add a little oil to every couple of weeks,these cars all weep some oil from the oil pan and rearmain seal if it bothers you replace them,as far as a little smoke on startup the commom problem is leaking valve seals and or worn valve guides this is not a serious problem and can continue at this level for another 50-100'000 miles ,so add a little oil and drive her and enjoy it do'nt sweat small things .Chico(pops)
#111366 - 01/23/09 01:43 PM Re: She's Burnin Oil!
72chevman Offline
Loc: Where Dorthy,Toto & Wicked Wit...
I use the larger filter and add 4.5 qts, works perfect

Dumb question.

Do you wait 3-4 minutes after shutting car off before checking level? It takes that long for my cars to drain all the oil back to the pan. If you check immediately, you will always read low.
03 GT, STB, GM HD sway bars, 35% tint, GE893(37watt)fogs, Flowtech Terminators, 180 T-stat, ZZP DP & PCM, Ceramic PLOG & Crossover, 18" glasspack, 2007 17" Mustang Bullits 235/55/17 Pirelli PZero Nero, 12" R1 D\S rotors, gutted air box, GTP radiator