Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101515 - 04/27/09 04:11 PM LIM leaking - how to verify ?
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
I'm losing coolant on the passenger side of my '98 GT, and I'm guessing it's the lower intake manifold gasket.

I have the car up on ramps right now, and I was wondering what the best way is to verify this is what is really leaking. I've been looking, but it sure is a hard location to really 'look' at.

Hoses & radiator are not leaking, and as far as I can tell, neither is the water pump.

Most of the dripping happens at the bottom of the engine mount, and from the hard line that snakes around right by the passenger side of the transmission.

Thanks in advance.
#101516 - 04/27/09 05:14 PM Re: LIM leaking - how to verify ?
Richard Candelario Offline
is the galley between the LIM/UIM and valve covers NASTY dirty? That's how I can tell on my GT.

Otherwise, I think you may have an external leak somewhere.

I also noticed that upon hard acceleration, my car often has a whistle/spooling sound, ALMOST like a blower's installed.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#101517 - 04/27/09 05:17 PM Re: LIM leaking - how to verify ?
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Check the coolant elbow that goes below the alternator
#101518 - 04/27/09 05:57 PM Re: LIM leaking - how to verify ?
Drakhan Offline
Loc: Columbia, SC
This convo sounds familiar lol.

a few other solutions would be to use Prestone coolant flush then use some stop leak. If that doesn't work, then mechanical repairs would be required. Use some UV dye and a UV light to find where exactly the leak is coming from.

I WANT: Twin Charge or CSC
#101519 - 04/27/09 09:37 PM Re: LIM leaking - how to verify ?
rocketman Offline
Loc: Rockledge, Florida
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the galley area is fairly greasy, and I hadn't thought about the elbow under the alternator. I'll check that....darned if I know how I'll be able to get a good look at it without a mirror.

I don't get the whistling/spooling sound, but I do get sluggish acceleration. I've been trying not to drive it very far until I resolve this, because I don't want to seize the engine.

Thanks again for the replies.