Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118589 - 03/01/10 03:04 PM Starting problem (first post)
Anarion Offline
Loc: Canada
Hi all, I just joined, this is my first post.

I'm looking for a little help. I own a 2001 GT, no mods, just the factory package.

In December I had problems starting it which initially thought was a starter problem. Replaced the starter and no luck, worked out eventually that it was a security module and had to take it to the dealer to get replaced (I'm not much of a mechanic I'm afraid). Replaced the battery at the same time.

Now two months later I'm back to the same problem. It was cold up here so I went out one night to start and run the car because I was taking it out the next day. Block heater was plugged in of course. Ran fine for 15 mins so I shut it down. Next morning not a darn thing. I seem to have juice, lights, radio, fan everything works but all I get is a click when I turn to start it.

I don't think its the security module that was just replaced, the security indicator goes off right away as expected. Starter and battery are brand new. I'm going to try boost it just in case but I don't think that will fix it.

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks!
#118590 - 03/01/10 03:58 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
98greenGT Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Sounds like you've gone through just about every possibility so I'm going to have to go with the ignition switch on this one. They tend to go bad and cause a lot of electrical problems with our cars when they do. There are a lot of different fixes and write-ups for the switch, I personally have never had to deal with one so I'll wait for someone else to chime in about the proper way to go about fixing your issue.

If it's not an ignition switch issue I'd also go about checking the starter again as well as the battery. I would also check the connections at each and make sure nothing is damaged or shorting out.

By the way, welcome to the site!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
WizAired CAI, Impala 12" Brake Upgrade, ZZP Alternator Rewire and Voltage Booster, Rotated Dogbone Mounts, Kicker KS690 6x9s, JBL GTO427 4s, JBL P652S 6.5s
2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab
Stock, LineX, 212K
#118591 - 03/01/10 04:32 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
nyjets91 Offline
Loc: Wallingford/Hartford, CT
A clicking noise when turning the key is usually either a low battery or a bad starter solenoid. Since you have a new starter, have your battery and charging system tested, then go from there.
#118592 - 03/01/10 04:53 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
Richard Candelario Offline
mayhaps the alt or the ign sw. happy hunting. the electrical gremlins in these cars are rather pesky.

welcome to the site. enjoy your stay.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#118593 - 03/01/10 05:22 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
Anarion Offline
So I went out to boost it and on a whim I turned the key and it started fine. So I let it run for a bit and then turned it off, and decided to see if it was the other key. Sure enough it wouldn't start with that key. And now the first key doesn't work. The other day when I tried it I used the key that didn't work. I'm guessing the first key will work again after the car has been fully off for a while.

Seems like the dealer didn't program the secondary key properly. Will the key relearn steps fix that?
#118594 - 03/01/10 06:40 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
darn transponder! really shoulda considered that.

Yes, the key relearn should do the trick.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#118595 - 03/02/10 02:28 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
Anarion Offline
Master key doesn't work again too, so I'm thinking now that I need to check the connections. Something must be loose on the battery or starter. Frustrating, this.
#118596 - 03/02/10 04:31 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
Anarion Offline
Ok guys, here's the final deal. I really am not sure what this means.

If I have not attempted to start the car in quite a long time then it will start and it will run fine. However, as soon as I turn it off, I cannot start it again for quite some time, by which I mean hours. I don't know how many hours but more than eight or so it seems. I have no idea why this is at this point and if anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it.

After the long break between attempts it turns over and starts immediately. Sorry to have mislead you before but I think I've got the symptoms down this time.
#118597 - 03/02/10 05:48 PM Re: Starting problem (first post)
darn good question. Have you given thought to ign relays? only when warm...hmmm...bad wire/cable somewhere? Loose connection? Bad terminal somewhere? ummmm...not sure. Happy hunting is all I can really suggest.

98 L36/MM5
RaC