K&N air filter HP

Posted by: JoeyGTP

K&N air filter HP - 06/18/06 09:37 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks for all your info on traction control.

I just ordered a K&N air filter. The site says that it adds a little HP. Does anybody know aprox how much? I was told close to 10 or so.

Thanks.
Posted by: D

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/18/06 10:27 PM

I would go with about 6-10hp but no more. Do you have a CAI or did you just get the K&N drop in for the stock air box?

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/18/06 11:10 PM

I just got the drop in for the stock air box. I saw that the CAI adds around 13 HP, but is over $200. For now I am just doing little things to increase the HP and look of my car.
Posted by: UMfan

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/18/06 11:10 PM

10hp is VERY generous.

I don't think the filter by itself adds too much.
Posted by: Kansas GXP

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/18/06 11:36 PM

I think maybe 5hp. Honestly, I just put one in, and I can't tell the difference in power, but I noticed about a 2mpg. fuel economy difference.
Posted by: buggy2068

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 02:41 AM

I know the drop-ins are very efficient. If nothing else, at least you won't ever have to replace them. Well, unless you tear it somehow I guess.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 04:51 AM

DIY CAI is under $80 including the cone filter. smile
Posted by: framos242

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 10:36 AM

Typically, the increased HP will be felt on top end RPMs.

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 10:45 AM

HERKMAN "DIY CAI is under $80 including the cone filter"

I know this is stupid, but I have been checking the GP STORE and I don't really know what you are talking about. I know you mean a do it yourself cold air intake, but what would I actually buy?

Am I buying seperate pieces and putting them together, hence "do it yourself"? Also, would you recommend I get the CAI because I am going to be putting on a 3.4 pulley?
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 10:55 AM

You don't want to put a smaller pulley on if you haven't done a decent amount of mods to your GTP. DIY means yes, buying all the pieces and making it on your own. Some people use PVC pipe and put a K&N cone on the end, and epoxy the whole thing, then attach it to the throttle body. There are multiple ways of doing this, check online for how-to's, and I even think Herc has one on his site. Hope that helps!
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: K&N air filter HP - 06/19/06 11:02 AM

Don't put a smaller pulley on until you have some kind of aftermarket intake. Take a look at my website for lots of info.