powerlog

Posted by: pedal down

powerlog - 04/12/07 12:48 PM

im lookin to get a powerlog, ported rear mani, and a DP from zzp. im gettin the 304 dp because of the salt and rust issue. the mani's come either hi temp painted or in ceramic coating. if they are painted then i dont need the 304 version of the mani's right?

im gonna wait a few weeks til its done snowing but how hard is the install of the p-log and rear mani and DP? any install or pre-install tips? i know to start soaking the bolts in wd40 a few days before.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 01:21 PM

I'd still go with the 304s.
Posted by: theone2043

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 02:22 PM

why does so many go with the PEM i thought headers were better?

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 02:24 PM

i can't afford headers. plus its my dd, im not looking for every HP possible. just tryin to free up the exhaust.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 02:32 PM

can headers be put on a dd? or if you use it as a dd you should get the PEM?

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 02:37 PM

you can, if you want to.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 03:11 PM

For some headers are cost prohibitive where as PEMs are DIY if you can weld or alot cheaper on the wallet.
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pedal down:
im lookin to get a powerlog, ported rear mani, and a DP from zzp. im gettin the 304 dp because of the salt and rust issue. the mani's come either hi temp painted or in ceramic coating. if they are painted then i dont need the 304 version of the mani's right?

im gonna wait a few weeks til its done snowing but how hard is the install of the p-log and rear mani and DP? any install or pre-install tips? i know to start soaking the bolts in wd40 a few days before.
installation of headers is like giving birth to a cow. not sure about the p-log and such.

Just soak them in p-b blaster overnight, and use a breaker bar. the rear manifolds are not fun
Posted by: RooK

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 05:25 PM

Quote:
i can't afford headers. plus its my dd, im not looking for every HP possible. just tryin to free up the exhaust.
Unless you're wanting TOGs, step back and look at the cost. Plog, ported rear, and downpipe is going to cost you the same as a set of Pacesetters.

Plog & ported rear: $215
Downpipe: $139 (bolt-in offroad)
Total: $354

Pacesetters (come with offroad downpipe): $350

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 07:38 PM

And the quality of the Pacesetters sucks.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 07:49 PM

which headers are better slp or tog?

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
And the quality of the Pacesetters sucks.
They're still headers though. crazy
Posted by: UMfan

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theone2043:
which headers are better slp or tog?
Most people say TOG based on reputation. I think SLP is notorious for ticking.

I've got S&S headers on the way...just one more option to think about.
Posted by: drummerboy1307

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 08:42 PM

If you're doing all three (Powerlog, Rear mani, and 3" D/P) it's about the same as installing the headers. you just won't have to worry about the crossover piece I suppose. You'll like it after you're all done. That's the same exhaust setup I have.

Quote:
why does so many go with the PEM i thought headers were better?
Its been said here before, for N/A applications, ported manifolds will work great, but for boosted applications you should really go with headers. If you put headers on a GT, you will loose too much torque.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 08:55 PM

i saw the s&s puts the o2 bung on the crossover that seems kinda odd.... and drummerboy your telling me that the zzp PEM's will give better resluts then the TOG or the same with the top swap... i already know im gonna lose torque when still with the l36 n/a and the togs but im looking for the best one
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 09:31 PM

I used some PB blaster, and those bolts like where finger tight after that, lol. The front and cross over aren't bad, I need to buy the rear, that may be a pain. You need like an extension and a swivel for the crossover, that is what I used to get the two bolts loose. I had a local guy bolt and weld my dp.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 09:35 PM

quality and reliability is what im looking for. if people are having fitment issues and whatnot from the get go what happens 3 years down the road? i dont plan on heavy mods,plus i like my torque! lol i feel safer with a zzp product.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 09:36 PM

Remember, there are two different TOGs on the market. Extremes (like ZZP sales) are the newer design with larger primaries, same in size as Pacesetters. Older non-Extremes had smaller primaries and are like SLP/S&S in that regard.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 09:46 PM

so you think i should just go with the slps now and after i get all my top swap done switch to the tog xtreme? and sell the slp?

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 09:46 PM

I love my powerlog, looks amazing too, check out my sig page, I have some photos.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 10:46 PM

Quote:
so you think i should just go with the slps now and after i get all my top swap done switch to the tog xtreme? and sell the slp?
that wouldnt be very cost effective. just go with the X-treme's. but for the $ you cant beat pacesetter. they are a pain, but im relatively happy

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 11:08 PM

If you're serious about getting the top end swap done, go with headers. But they will kill your bottom end before the swap, because you will have no torque.

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 11:12 PM

just do it all at once. its hard to stare at a set of shiny headers, but like i said, its like giving birth to a cow to install it. so just do everything at the same time

Re: powerlog - 04/12/07 11:56 PM

was the p-log and crossover easy? seems like the rear would be a pain to do.

Re: powerlog - 04/13/07 01:45 AM

Quote:
i saw the s&s puts the o2 bung on the crossover that seems kinda odd.... and drummerboy your telling me that the zzp PEM's will give better resluts then the TOG or the same with the top swap... i already know im gonna lose torque when still with the l36 n/a and the togs but im looking for the best one
The O2 on the crossover is a bit strange, but you can relocate it, or you can just leave it. Until you get really modded and have to worry about tuning stuff precise, it shouldn't matter. There are a few guys in my club that use S&S and swear by them.

Re: powerlog - 04/13/07 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy1307:
If you're doing all three (Powerlog, Rear mani, and 3" D/P) it's about the same as installing the headers. you just won't have to worry about the crossover piece I suppose. You'll like it after you're all done. That's the same exhaust setup I have.
I have to disagree. I'm sure you like your setup, and you noticed a big difference, but headers will be noticeably better than this setup. It's not "almost the same".

Re: powerlog - 04/13/07 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
Quote:
[b] If you're doing all three (Powerlog, Rear mani, and 3" D/P) it's about the same as installing the headers. you just won't have to worry about the crossover piece I suppose. You'll like it after you're all done. That's the same exhaust setup I have.
I have to disagree. I'm sure you like your setup, and you noticed a big difference, but headers will be noticeably better than this setup. It's not "almost the same". [/b]
x2. headers > p-log

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 03:24 PM

i found this rear PEM on club GP. does it look like a good port job?

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 03:26 PM

should i ask him how far down the primaries he went?

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 04:36 PM

Looks like crap to me. But if you are looking for just performance then I see some differences in those pics.

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 05:01 PM

i have a front PEM if you want that. It was ported by chico, and the quality is good.
Posted by: Jason2000GTP

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 08:41 PM

i went from ported mani's and 3in dp to pacesetters.. i love em.. but pay the extra money for a ceramic coating. it will be well worth it in the long run.. wish i would have. the high temp paint has worked well everywhere excpet the the bend by the flex piece.
it Deff dropped a large chunk of my KR.

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 10:31 PM

i only have a GT and dont plan on anything major. im hoping by next summer to have a HV3, HV TB, and maybe some ER rockers. thats as far as i would go and even that's not definate.

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 10:34 PM

looks like crap in what kind of way? the overall condition or the port job. im not goin for looks.

i thought i read something about maintaining a D shape tho?

Re: powerlog - 04/17/07 11:19 PM

Just looks.

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 09:30 AM

Quote:
i only have a GT and dont plan on anything major. im hoping by next summer to have a HV3, HV TB, and maybe some ER rockers. thats as far as i would go and even that's not definate.
PM replied

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 12:23 PM

I'm gonna need to go headers soon, the PEMs and downpipe were great when I was still N/A but not so much with the M90 setup I've got now.

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 02:13 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna need to go headers soon, the PEMs and downpipe were great when I was still N/A but not so much with the M90 setup I've got now.
yeah, im glad i did it all at once. Made tuning it a million times easier. no knock with an off the shelf PCM. I was pleased

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 02:22 PM

If anyone wants some stock exhaust mannies for free, let me know. I've got those I took off my L67 just sitting outside (so they're a tad rusty). Either pick them up or pay shipping and you can have 'em. Use them as cores for ported ones or whatever you want.

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 06:36 PM

i plan on sanding and repainting, and maybe wrapping. does anyone reccommend not wrapping? lol

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 07:35 PM

Well if you get the Powerlog, it says on ZZP's site NOT to wrap them because they will crack. But with stock mani's you will be fine with wrapping them.

Re: powerlog - 04/18/07 10:32 PM

ported front and rear.

Re: powerlog - 04/27/07 08:09 PM

i got my ported rear today, the whole to the EGR is plugged. so do i need to have it deleted from my PCM so i dont get a SES?

Re: powerlog - 04/27/07 08:20 PM

yes. it will throw a code

Re: powerlog - 04/27/07 09:29 PM

yep, you'll need to have either ZZP send you a PCM with the code deleted, or get someone with a Powrtuner to remove it for you.

Re: powerlog - 04/27/07 10:25 PM

cool, changin plugs would prolly be easier with the rear mani off right? what plugs should i use? AL605?

also what PCM would compliment the ported mani's, FWI, 3" DP (RT - got a great deal), and eventually HV TB and HV3?

Re: powerlog - 04/28/07 12:04 PM

I have the ZZP 1.0, but I believe my misfires were caused from the front ported manifold. I think some tuning took care of it. I would suggest tuning no matter what PCM you go with, make sure it isn't a locked pcm.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: powerlog - 04/28/07 01:30 PM

Quote:
i plan on sanding and repainting, and maybe wrapping. does anyone reccommend not wrapping? lol
Wrapping mani's should be fine. Wrapping headers in a no-no. You'll make the metal temp too high and cause damage that way. Ceramic coating is more effective than wrapping and 100% safe.

Re: powerlog - 04/28/07 04:49 PM

yeah im going to wrap them and get that powdercoated crossover from zzp. so should i go with AL 605's?
Posted by: Igor

Re: powerlog - 04/28/07 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
I have the ZZP 1.0, but I believe my misfires were caused from the front ported manifold. I think some tuning took care of it. I would suggest tuning no matter what PCM you go with, make sure it isn't a locked pcm.
Just to clarify, the ZZP 1.0 isn't locked right?

Re: powerlog - 04/28/07 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Igor:
Quote:
Originally posted by 20gtp02:
[b] I have the ZZP 1.0, but I believe my misfires were caused from the front ported manifold. I think some tuning took care of it. I would suggest tuning no matter what PCM you go with, make sure it isn't a locked pcm.
Just to clarify, the ZZP 1.0 isn't locked right? [/b]
From ZZP

FAQ

1. Can I change your PCMs with my tuning software?

Yes. We do not lock our PCMs. In fact, we will assist you with the tuning of our 1.0 file if you need help. You can email us your .bin file and we'll help you if you get stuck. We are familiar with all major brands of tuning software for the 3800.

Re: powerlog - 05/03/07 10:28 PM

do i need the 3" and 2.5" gaskets from ZZP for my downpipe or are they the same size everywhere?

Re: powerlog - 05/04/07 04:10 PM

Stock gaskets for the DP will work just fine with the 3" DP.
Posted by: Chico

Re: powerlog - 05/04/07 07:31 PM

Wrong the stock DP gasket is 2 7/8" but ZZP sells a 3" DP gasket.Chico.

Re: powerlog - 05/04/07 08:35 PM

sweet thanks for the info.