Idling Problem

Posted by: BlackNightGTP

Idling Problem - 05/28/04 03:27 PM

Hey guys, I have a small problem with my GTP. Sometimes on start ups, cold or warm, my engine has some trouble getting up to proper idling RPMs. The RPM gage bounces up and down for awhile, getting higher and higher like its not getting enough gas, and then levels off at the correct RPMs. Sometimes when I hit the gas, then let off, when the RPMs drop down they go too low, making it sound like its gonna quit, but then it recovers. I replaced the fuel filter awhile ago, and it seemed to help a bit. The only thing I could think of was possibly the fuel pump going bad. Anybody have any thoughts to this?
Posted by: Chico

Re: Idling Problem - 05/28/04 05:09 PM

It's either the fuel pump or dirty injectors.
Posted by: daverobs11

Re: Idling Problem - 05/30/04 01:29 AM

Hey Black Night

I drive an '01 SE and this morning on start-up I experienced the same situation. The engine started right up, I let it idle for about 20 seconds then I saw the tach drop to about 800 rpm's then it surged to 2000 rpm's and droped back to 800 and then surged to 2000 again with out touching the gas. it did this twice and then leveled off at 1500 rpms at idle. No codes set as no service engine light came on. I have the 3.1 engine in my SE. I'm running it with the 87 octane, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't. After the engine warms up, no problems what so ever. Your post caught my eye tonight as this happened to me today. My GP has 45,000 miles on it. Let me know if you experience this anymore....Thanks

Re: Idling Problem - 05/30/04 03:38 PM

Hey Daverobs11, I think im gonna go with a new pump. Ive talked to a few other GP owners and they agreed that with 110,000 miles on my car, its probelly the pump. I also forgot to tell you guys that when i replaced my fuel filter, it looked like the one on was the original, so the last guy who owned the car wasnt a good mechanic and didnt replace it, probelly the why the pump doesnt work so great. I found a guy off ebay who sells fuel pumps, and he has a AC Delco pump for the GTP for $180 dollars. Not too bad when it retails for $400. I'll update you guys when i get it and install it. hammer
Posted by: blown_gp

Re: Idling Problem - 06/02/04 05:17 PM

just for cracks and gigles, why don`t you dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner on you tank and see what happens, it has been my experince that when the pump takes a crap it stops all together, instead dirty injectors (specially if running the cheap gas) are more likely to make your car feel like is running rough, it`s worth the try and it might save you 200 bucks
Posted by: zachd

Re: Idling Problem - 06/02/04 05:56 PM

Have you checked fuel pressure? I highly doubt it is because the 87 grade gas. It could be bad, dirty watery gas, but i have had 2 3.8l cars and a 3.1l car and always ran 87 grade because they don't need anything else and never had problems. Injector cleaner is good preventative maintence like blowngp said i usually do it every couple oil changes or just every so often to keep them clean at like 90 bucks a pop i don't want to replace them...
Posted by: terapinn2000GTP

Re: Idling Problem - 06/02/04 08:59 PM

I am willing to bet it isnt the fuel pump. I would say bad gas or dirty injectors. Fill it up with some good 93 octane and some berrymans injector cleaner and take it out in the country and highway and run the hell out of it and open that engine up! If that doesnt fix it then atleast you had fun. I would then think a vacuum leak of some sort.

Re: Idling Problem - 06/03/04 01:10 AM

Yeah, the best gas I can get up here is 92 oct. and I would Never put anything else in my GTP. I runs fine when at a higher RPM, so I'll try some injector cleaner first. Hopefully thats all its gonna need. If that doesnt work I guess Im gonna try the pump. Couldnt hurt with 110,000 miles on it.

Re: Idling Problem - 06/03/04 01:35 AM

I had 130,000 miles on my fuel pump and i check the pressue on it and it was perfect never a problem out of it, al tho sometimes it seemed loud it never gave a little problem to me,...btw my new one is kinda loud to but the warrant can take care of that if i have a problems.....

Re: Idling Problem - 06/03/04 01:36 AM

Before you just replace it check the pressure and if you revv it up the gauge should 'spike' when more pressure is let thorugh, don't waste your money on something that isnt bad...