fuel filter connection

Posted by: zuulmusic

fuel filter connection - 09/16/05 06:42 PM

I was going to change my fuel filter today.
Went to disconnect the old one and the nut would not come off. Its rusted on there good. Loaded it with pb blaster, still no luck. I've tried vice-grips as well, and it just sorta mushes up the nut. I don't want to break the fuel line either! mad
Any ideas?!
Posted by: Evolution

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/16/05 06:45 PM

I had the same issue- WD40 worked when pb blaster didnt- I was very confused, but happy that I was able to get it off. Good luck.
Posted by: nad

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 12:56 AM

Hmm, this must be common, it took me and my buddy about 2 hours and a can of wd40 to get this damn nut off.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 09:24 AM

Yep it can be a PITA. That what happens when you don't change it regularly.
Posted by: Stock97GTP

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 09:50 AM

Were you using a flare nut wrench? That grips the nut on all sides and should keep you from rounding it off. Also, you might try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" from Kano Laboratories. That's what we use at work and it is good stuff.

If all else fails, take it to a local shop. I had to do that on a mid-80's Buick once. I asked the guy how they got the filter off and he replied, "the torch." I gave him a look in return like he was crazy. But, that's why they are the professionals I suppose.
Posted by: DoberManJT

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 12:03 PM

when I changed the filter for the first time at 35k it was really stuck. Lots of muscle and colorful language -- and vise-grips -- did the job for it. Now that I change my filter regularly (every 12-15k) it comes off nice and easy.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 01:42 PM

When I was doing mine, it had 45k miles on it and I just could not budge it. Nothing worked, I caved and brought it to a shop.
Posted by: JPGTP

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/17/05 01:58 PM

I'm in trouble then. I have 71K miles and I just did my oil change and belts. I guess its time for ALL HELL TO BREAK LOOSE........... devilgrin
Posted by: framos242

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/19/05 10:55 AM

The fuel filter on my GP wasn't hard to take off.
Posted by: ws6formula

Re: fuel filter connection - 09/19/05 06:39 PM

I did mine first time Sunday, it was a breeze (106k miles). Get a good quality fuel line wrench set as mentioned, my dad bought Snap On years ago. Works great. The only (minor) issue I had was the clip on end, even with the plastic fuel line tool, I still had to use a screw driver.