ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why??

Posted by: CB9050

ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 07:12 PM

I installed a new ZZP 3" catted dp a couple weeks ago and all has been fine until a few days ago when the service engine soon light came on. I reset the computer, because I never did upon installing the new dp and all was fine for a few more days, when all of the sudden the light came back on today. I went to autozone to have them scan my codes, and two codes, both depicting catalytic converter inefficient malfunction blah blah came up. Is this a regular occurance with a hi-flow cat on the L67 engine, or could there be a defect with my new cat? The car was fine for two weeks with the new dp on, and now it is pulling these codes. confused
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 07:14 PM

Yep. Hi-flow cats can do that.
Posted by: ChrisGT

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 07:19 PM

Get an O2 Emulator from ZZP wink
Posted by: tazfootball2

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGT:
Get an O2 Emulator from ZZP wink
...that's what I was thinking wink
Posted by: 4drgt

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 07:32 PM

same that should fix the problem
Posted by: 72chevman

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 09:15 PM

Read the portion under "IMPORTANT information concerning High Flow Catalytic converters"

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=551&catid=110

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 10:02 PM

Thanks guys. I feel better about it now haha. I'm getting an overkill pcm soon enough, so I will just have the code removed. I will not damage anything from driving with the code stored in the pcm, correct? I don't mind seeing the SES light for the time being... My car still drives the same and I don't have emissions until April
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/04/08 10:13 PM

nope, no side effects except for the light, you'll be fine
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/05/08 09:15 AM

Did you have the rear o2 sensor put back on? 01+ grand prixes have been known to go into "retarded mode" without the rear o2, due to entering a cat test mode which floods the engine with fuel. If you haven't noticed a difference in your car, you're probably fine, but something to keep in mind.

See this thread: http://www.grandprixforums.net/f65/removing-rear-o2-sensor-01-newer-7092.html
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/05/08 09:24 AM

High flow cats have been known to trip the SES light for cat efficiency.

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/05/08 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
Did you have the rear o2 sensor put back on? 01+ grand prixes have been known to go into "retarded mode" without the rear o2, due to entering a cat test mode which floods the engine with fuel. If you haven't noticed a difference in your car, you're probably fine, but something to keep in mind.

See this thread: http://www.grandprixforums.net/f65/removing-rear-o2-sensor-01-newer-7092.html
Yes, the rear 02 is still installed.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: ZZP 3" catted DP = Service engine soon light... Why?? - 11/05/08 08:04 PM

same thing happened to mine after installing the hi-flow cat...I added the O2 sim and no more lights.