Rattle in the front end

Posted by: jimd

Rattle in the front end - 09/13/05 10:52 AM

Guys, I have a 2000 GT and it is making a real bad rattling noise when I hit real small bumps, like reflectors and such. It also seems to make it a bit when braking. Does anyone know what this might be? I thought it could be the struts (sp) but I just got a quote for $750 to get them all done. Ouch.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Posted by: steve6971

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/13/05 11:28 AM

awhile ago i had alitte rattling in the front end, and it turned out to be that one of the bolts which hold the caliper up was loose so the caliper was moving when i hit bumps thus creating the rattling sound. so you might wanna check them out. just an idea

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/13/05 11:33 AM

Thanks Steve, I will check on that tonight.

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 11:01 AM

I did not check yet, but someone else told me it could be the CV joints being bad/damaged. If this is the case, does anyone know the cost of the job to have these replaced?

Thanks
Posted by: RooK

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 11:18 AM

CV joints don't usually cause rattles (they're packed in grease). You can usually tell when a CV joint is going bad by the clicking (not like a rattle imo) it makes when you're moving slow and turning the wheel. I'd eye the boots though just to make sure yours are ok and not cut or ripped.

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 02:14 PM

If they are riped the grease would wash out eventually correct? Then they may make a noise I would think. I did not drive it today just in case. Going to get under it tonight.
Posted by: RooK

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 03:06 PM

Yes, if the boots rip, normally it looks like a grease bomb went off around the CV because it flings the stuff everywhere when under acceleration. That will definately remove the grease from the cv joint.

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 07:38 PM

Well, they are not riped and the calipers are tight. Any other ideas? I have hit and banged and pulled on pretty much everything under there. I am not sure what else it could be. I even made sure the wheels were tight.

anyone?????
Posted by: GTP4LIFE

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 10:48 PM

my car use to do something like that and it was the little tin inserts that that pads ride on. they were like 10.00 just a thought
Posted by: crimpton

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 11:33 PM

Hello,

How about the sway bar retainers? Or the bushings?

Later now,
Clint
Posted by: rubberman

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/14/05 11:58 PM

i had a bad outter tie rod end. my front seemed to rattle before but now doesnt.
Posted by: Chico

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/15/05 07:38 AM

Another possibility is strut mounts which will rattle when worn.Chico.

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/15/05 02:19 PM

Chico,
How can I test them? I have 69K+ miles on it. They may need to changed anyway, correct? I was told these struts normally are only good for 60K miles.
Posted by: Chico

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/16/05 06:26 AM

If your planning on changing your struts it's always a good idea to change the mounts ,as for checking them try bouncing your car from each front corner and see if you can detect abnormal noise and travel.Chico.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/16/05 08:58 AM

If you have stock struts with 70k miles, they need to be replaced, along with the mounts.
Don't put OEM's back on, atleast get a set of KYB's. I think KYB's might even be cheaper than OEM's.

Re: Rattle in the front end - 09/16/05 03:32 PM

I was planning on putting KYB's on it anyway.

I will check on these tonight.

When you say mounts what are you talking about? Do they come with a set of KYB's or is that something seperate?