boost gauge

Posted by: BLEWGTP

boost gauge - 02/20/08 06:14 AM

whats the easiest way to hook up a boost gauge? and what is another easy gauge to hook up? i have the dual gauge pod but i dont know what gauge i want to use for the second spot...
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 06:47 AM

Aeroforce scan guage for spot 2. There is a line with a T fitting under the snout you can tap that boost guage into iirc.
Posted by: BoostenGTP

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 06:58 AM

HercMan is correct on this, T fitting under the snout, tap that to the boost gauge. i have a Faze Gauge set up in my car, and i found it really easy to set up and use, like plug and play smile . what other guages are you thinking? i would do a Boost Gauge, and a Tranny Temp gauge.
Posted by: Blackarrow98GP

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 08:17 AM

Here's a write up: Installing a Boost Gauge hammer
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 10:47 AM

if you have the money do an aeroforce. I have oil pressure, tranny temp and boost. Wideband and aeroforce are next.

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 04:32 PM

id like to get an aeroforce, but right now the money isnt there...for now i just want something thats basically plug an play, easy to hook up so i can fill the spot until i can get an aeroforce someday...

and one more thing, where can i find a 2 gauge a-pillar pod for an 03?its different than the 97-02...

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 05:20 PM

These places list a dual gauge pod for 97-03: Proparts and RPM Outlet
Posted by: 20gtp02

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 08:08 PM

What's the point of the boost gauge? You have one above the air vents. No point in reading the number really.
Just save and get the Aeroforce for that. The only thing you want other than Aeroforce is a gauge for tranny temp, oil temp/pressure, and wideband. I have aeroforce and wideband.
I can view tranny temp on it. The only thing I don't have is oil, and I really don't care to read that really.

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 09:42 PM

that thing in the DIC is worthless. if i go WOT it is filled up instantly. Its good on the stock pulley, and thats it. Oil pressure is important, if you wait until the oil light comes on, its already too late
Posted by: RooK

Re: boost gauge - 02/20/08 10:08 PM

I've got an Autometer, tapped in below the snout and routed through the firewall at the passenger footwell. For all my scanning duties, I've got the PT. But when I'm cruising without it, I'd prefer to know what boost I'm actually making. It can at least let you know that everything is up to snuff.

Besides, analog boost gauges look cool. My DIC one gets 1-2 blips when I'm not even laying into it really hard. :p

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 06:07 PM

ok, i got an electrical air/fuel gauge...anyone know how to hook this one up? and i managed to get the boost gauge in, ill post pics when its all done...thanks for the help!

-one other thing...this power drop, how and where do i find it?
Posted by: 98greenGT

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 06:12 PM

Under the glove box, it should be labeled with a big white sticker. ChiTown's was in back of the fuse box and it was hidden pretty well but it's not that hard to find.

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BLEWGTP:
ok, i got an electrical air/fuel gauge...anyone know how to hook this one up? and i managed to get the boost gauge in, ill post pics when its all done...thanks for the help!
This A/F pigtail makes it easier to hook up your gauge: Air Fuel Pigtail

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 06:53 PM

Air/Fuel gauges are the most pointless gauges you can get, they are nothing but a lightshow. But they are pretty cool to look at.

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 09:46 PM

the zzp pigtail for the powerdrop? or is it another one? if i get the pigtail how do i hook it up?

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 09:54 PM

Plug it into the power drop, then solder to the accessory wire and the ground if you want. Pretty simple. Pull out the compartment in the glove box and locate the power drop behind it.

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 10:01 PM

o ok, so it becomes like the radio harness for an aftermarket radio?

Re: boost gauge - 02/21/08 10:04 PM

Sort of. Just three wires.

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 04:29 PM

ok..and the volt gauge just goes to + and - on the battery right?

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 04:33 PM

Tap the sender wire for the volt gauge into the 12v switched wire in the power drop, otherwise the gauge will draw on the battery when the car's not running.. wink
Also, the Air Fuel Pigtail plugs into the oxygen sensor harness in the engine bay, to provide a place to hook up the sender wire for your A/F gauge. Hope that helps!

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 05:47 PM

yea, i think i get it now...so let me give a runback:
boost-vaccuum line under snout
volt-12v switched and ground
air/fuel-12v switched, ground, and sender from O2 sensor

-all lights are tapped into switched power and ground?

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 06:35 PM

Here's a write up on Lighting Your Gauges

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 06:38 PM

yea, i didnt really want to tap into the dimmer...could i run it from the drop or no?

Re: boost gauge - 02/22/08 06:42 PM

Yah. I ran two gauges off the power drop. One started dimming, so I found an alternate source. But it still dims, I think it is the gauge itself not lighting up properly. AustinGTP has three things wired to his powerdrop. Just wire them all there until the fuse blows, or the lights aren't bright enough on the gauges.

Re: boost gauge - 02/23/08 01:32 PM

ok, thanks tons for all your help guys!
ill post pics when the gauge pod comes in and its all finished