Exhaust...???

Posted by: GTP_noob

Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 05:12 AM

I want to put a cat-back system on my '00 GTP I've seen SLP "Loud Mouth" a lot, but the problem is i cant find any sound clips!!! I want something that is loud and mean sounding through all rpm ranges, not just idle and mid-ranges. I dont want that ricer sound at all. whats the best way to go??? Does anyone have a camera w/sound recording??? Maybe you can post what yours sound like?

BTW...I just joined this forum and will post pics of my GTP ASAP!!!
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 07:05 AM

The only way to get a mean sounding exhaust will be if you do a cam swap.

The SLP loudmouth is just that it's loud. Remember you have a V6 and just adding in new exhaust will never get you that V8 sound. If you want to do a cat back exhaust your best money spent would be to go to a shop and have one made. Alot of us use Flowmaster 40 series. I have the super 40s and love them. There are a few other brands but for the most part FMs seem to be the favorite here.

For mufflers go to ebay and use performance peddler. They have bout the best prices out there. I think you can get a pair of muffs for right around $100.

sound clip with stock tips.
http://www.robandcatsworld.com/100_5995.mov

if that link won't work go here
http://robandcatsworld.com/videos.htm

right click on the video link you want and save as. This will put it on your drive and may open easier.
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GTP_noob:

BTW...I just joined this forum and will post pics of my GTP ASAP!!!
You might be a noob, but it sounds like you already know what we want... PICS!!!

Here's a clip of mine.
F/M 40's with resonated tips...

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 10:29 AM

By the way I went through some old threads and pulled quotes from various members on exhaust opinions and added it to the FAQ thread.
Posted by: UMfan

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 01:11 PM

This page has many different exhaust sound clips. The only problem I have with it, is that many of these cars have additional modifications that could alter the sound of the exhaust. But I guess it gives you a rough idea.

http://www.rmcgp.com/exhaust/

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 01:40 PM

The bad thing about sound clips is to much variables with recording equipment and sound systems used for playback. You really can't get an accurate playback. For example my sound clip sounds horrible when played on the speaker system of my laptop but sounds 80% true on my desktop set up.
Posted by: UMfan

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/13/06 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
The bad thing about sound clips is to much variables with recording equipment and sound systems used for playback. You really can't get an accurate playback. For example my sound clip sounds horrible when played on the speaker system of my laptop but sounds 80% true on my desktop set up.
Yeah, that is also true.

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/15/06 11:21 AM

What cam do you guys recommend
Posted by: framos242

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/15/06 11:49 AM

Quote:
What cam do you guys recommend
Think about what you want performance wise and how much are you willing to spend.

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/15/06 05:41 PM

OK...so i am going to go with the VS cam. Will I need any supporting mods right off the bat?

I went to the muffler shop where i had my straight pipes done on my Rx-7, Which i am very pleased with!!! And talked to the guy that i worked with befor and told him what i wanted. He suggested i go with a 3" custom DP w/ Hi-Flow cat, U-bend/res. delete, and magnaflows version of the F/M Super 40's.

He told me that the magnaflows have a deeper tone, which is what I want.

Does anyone know about these Magnaflows???

And he said that it would run me $400-$450 for EVERYTHING!!!! Correct me if im wrong, But I think that is one hell of a deal!!! He did me S/P on my Rx-7 for $65.
This guy has cheap prices, and really good work (first hand exp.) But that sounds to good to be true. anyways, what do you guys think?

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/15/06 08:27 PM

Sounds about right.

Like I said above have one made.

aftermarket catback kits are a waste.

I'd atleast get a new intake and PCM programmed for tht cam grind.

What kind of performance are you looking for? And what kind of budget are you looking at?

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/16/06 02:28 AM

I want to be running 12's maybe like 400 hp, but Im not in a rush to get there. As of now I have $1500-$2000 to go towards it. I was looking @ the zzp PCM and am not sure about the intake yet. i have a home built one in there now, but i want to change soon and I've got to remount the PCM somewhere. Its hard to find time to do these things when you work 2 jobs. I was also considering zzp modular pulley, 180 Tstat, and a throttle body spacer, oh and in the summer some new wheels.
Posted by: framos242

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/16/06 11:16 AM

It sounds as though you're on your way!!!

BTW, that's one way of a deal!
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/16/06 11:43 AM

Quote:
I want to be running 12's maybe like 400 hp, but Im not in a rush to get there. As of now I have $1500-$2000 to go towards it. I was looking @ the zzp PCM and am not sure about the intake yet. i have a home built one in there now, but i want to change soon and I've got to remount the PCM somewhere. Its hard to find time to do these things when you work 2 jobs. I was also considering zzp modular pulley, 180 Tstat, and a throttle body spacer, oh and in the summer some new wheels.
I'd save up and go tranny+turbo. You will hit 400 whp and 12s easily. If you do, I'd hold off any other mods.
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/16/06 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
Quote:
[b] I want to be running 12's maybe like 400 hp, but Im not in a rush to get there. As of now I have $1500-$2000 to go towards it. I was looking @ the zzp PCM and am not sure about the intake yet. i have a home built one in there now, but i want to change soon and I've got to remount the PCM somewhere. Its hard to find time to do these things when you work 2 jobs. I was also considering zzp modular pulley, 180 Tstat, and a throttle body spacer, oh and in the summer some new wheels.
I'd save up and go tranny+turbo. You will hit 400 whp and 12s easily. If you do, I'd hold off any other mods. [/b]
X2 thumbsup

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/17/06 03:22 AM

how much more would it be for the Turbo+Tranny? I've only seen one turbo set up for the GP and it was like $3k. I have $2k saved right now and im getting my wind tinted on sat (5% back and rear sides, 50% front sides, 75% windshield) Thats gonna cost 290. but i think i can swing a grand or so from my fin. aid (yeah I know thats bad)
Posted by: 00ultraz28

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/17/06 10:54 PM

ahaha I know what ya mean.. I'm hoping I can swing some financial aid to help build up my car... check out zzperformance.com(or something along those lines) and 3800performance.com for turbos and race trannys

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/20/06 05:20 AM

Thanks, i'll check them out
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Exhaust...??? - 05/20/06 09:00 AM

And get some pics posted of your car!