Resonator Delete...

Posted by: Lacho

Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 04:16 PM

Ive been thinking about getting my resonator replaced with a straight through but will it sound too loud?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 04:19 PM

Don't do it!!!!!!!! If anything replace it with a glasspack. The drone will drive you crazy. You won't notice any difference in the ole' butt dyno running without a resonator vs with a resonator.
Posted by: BoostenGTP

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 04:32 PM

i have a huge hole in my resonator from being so low i broke the seal on a speed bump, the drone effing sucks. but sounds good on top end laugh , but highway speeds at around 1500-2000rpm, the drone will drive you crazy. Im just waiting to replace mine because i may just throw out the cash for a full catback

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 04:36 PM

thanks for the advice i guess ill trash that idea... so i should just replace it with a high flow resonator then
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 04:58 PM

First off why do you want to replace it? If it's rotted out like mine was (I went straight pipe and hate it holding out for a new catback)I'd grab a glass pack and put it in it's place. Or just get a new OEM. rockauto.com has em for a good price.

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 06:35 PM

well honestly i was just considering it since it is listed on the upgrades tab in this site that's the only reason i even started to think about it but never mind... and i really don't know what a glass pack is
Posted by: 01GTshaner

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 06:36 PM

I'm younger, not sure if you are, and i like it. I had subs and I got rid of them mainly because i enjoy driving around and listening to my exhaust and hearing it. Hearing it in the cabin is cool too, and I don't find the drone bad.

My 2 Cents.

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 06:46 PM

well yea im 19 bro and im just looking for better performance and a bit more aggressive sound but idk ive had more people telling me not to do it... of course i know its mainly my choice right but like i said im a bit skeptical cause i think hearing too much in the cabin would annoy me
Posted by: Drakhan

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 07:17 PM

There was someone on here who replaced only their muffs with strait pipes and left the rest of the exhaust stock. It sounded real nice, it's what imma do when my friend gets a new welding tool.
Posted by: Zalfrin

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/18/09 09:16 PM

Personally, I think stock muffs + no res or res + no muffs sounds okay, either one should have enough baffling to keep you sane. I was planning on doing summit muffs with stock res, but found out I had a hole in the res when I got there. I've been tolerating the no res + aftermarket mufflers, but it's not pleasant. I need to add a glasspack like herc said. I mentioned it at the time I had the res replaced and the guy just kind of laughed about it... *shrug*
Posted by: DenverGT

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/19/09 02:40 PM

I've got stock mufflers and res delete on both my grand prixs, no drone whatsoever, and a nicer exhaust tone.

If you go aftermarket muffs or no muffs, then res delete will kill you with drone.
Posted by: jorgs_7

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/19/09 03:32 PM

Honestly, If you want some more noise than stock just buy some FM 40 mufflers. I just drove with a guy in my MNCGP and those sound aggressive.

Keep the resonator unless you want a nasty rasp

look up some youtube videos
Posted by: jlindahl2571

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/19/09 05:10 PM

I had my resonator replaced with a straight pipe when it rusted through and broke off and the sound didn't really change that much. It seems like it will only make a difference if you have aftermarket mufflers, as I do not. So if you stay with stock mufflers the sound will be a little nicer, but not worth the cost for parts/labor/etc. Also, I didn't notice any power gain either, but the car seemed to drive a lot smoother.
Posted by: 00grandprixgt

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/20/09 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drakhan:
There was someone on here who replaced only their muffs with strait pipes and left the rest of the exhaust stock. It sounded real nice, it's what imma do when my friend gets a new welding tool.
thats me...i removed the muffler puts slash ut tips on and deleted the res.
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/20/09 12:40 PM

Leave it in. Our engines sound like crap on the high end, and removing it will make it even worse.
Posted by: 72chevman

Re: Resonator Delete... - 09/21/09 01:57 PM

If you are looking for inexpensive power upgrades, get rid of your factory u-bend with a u-bend delete or a down pipe. I got rid of my resonator almost as soon as I got my car. It had no resonance so to speak. As soon as I put on a DP, there was resonance and the exhaust note upon acceleration was awful. It was nice at idle & cruise though.