OBD II code......HELP

Posted by: larrys

OBD II code......HELP - 10/18/06 07:17 PM

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

above is the code auto zone told me is my problem.......any advice as to where to start lookin would be greatly appreciated........my sons 2000 Grand Prix 3.8L. needs help...
Posted by: D

Re: OBD II code......HELP - 10/18/06 07:41 PM

ITs your evap system, first check you gas cap and make sure its on, if you fill you tank up iwth gas when the car is running then that is you rproblem just wait and it will go off. second
the evap canister is plugged and not working, if you take your drivers side rear wheel well off you can see this canister take it off and clean it and the lines going to it b/c carbon usally biulds up and cloges the lines. Lastly is the the purge solenoid is shot this is on the front of the engine right near your fuel injectors it has a vac line going to it, the black one ontop the the engine follow it to the front of the engine. First check the gas gap, then check the canister and if that doesn't work go to gm and buy the canister and the pruge selinod it will only cost you about 40 bucks. Good luck and Welcome to the forum.
Posted by: larrys

Re: OBD II code......HELP - 10/18/06 08:30 PM

D...thanks much for the help.......i will tackle your recommendations..........and thanks for the welcome as well...........Larry
Posted by: Steed93

Re: OBD II code......HELP - 12/21/06 11:45 AM

I had this same code pop up this week. I refueled my car yesterday and found the gas cap was loose. Well now it's tight and my check engine soon light is still on. How can I erase it?
Posted by: ifitwasnt4u

Re: OBD II code......HELP - 12/21/06 12:05 PM

d/c the BATT for 20 min, or just goto autozone and ask them to clear the code