Headlamp moisture

Posted by: 02GPGT

Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 12:21 AM

i have noticed some moisture condensing inside of the driverside headlamp... does anyone know an easy/semi-easy fix? i already called the dealer which said i should replace the headlamp assembly (which cost $195) so any corrections or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 12:24 AM

Replacing is just about the only real fix.
Check ebay.

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 12:34 AM

so i guess this is a pretty common problem?
Posted by: Arcxnus

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 12:43 AM

Yes, it really is a common problem ... If you have a 1997, I'm not surprised. The sealing substance on 1997 headlamps leaves much to be desired. Ebay has far better prices on new headlamps, so I definitely recommend checking there before even CONSIDERING dealer prices.
Posted by: JTGPGT

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 01:34 AM

After I had to change mine, I sealed the next set with some clear silicone sealant around the seam to prevent it from happening again. So far, so good.
Posted by: BRYAN

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 06:53 AM

just like austin said, I found a real good deal on ebay for brand new oem headlights.
Posted by: framos242

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JTGPGT:
After I had to change mine, I sealed the next set with some clear silicone sealant around the seam to prevent it from happening again.
Be sure to do this to avoid further problems.
Posted by: boosnark1

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 11:10 AM

Common issue for the 97-98 GPs. They either fog up or fall off. You're better off getting them replaced. Get a set of '00-'03 from a junk yard. They can't be too much there...
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 05:17 PM

Or you can go here headlight wholesale

Re: Headlamp moisture - 01/19/06 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Or you can go here headlight wholesale
Yup, that's where I got my OEM fogs from.
Posted by: mk97gtp

Re: Headlamp moisture - 02/13/06 07:46 PM

They actually had a recall for the 98 and newer.

Re: Headlamp moisture - 02/13/06 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mk97gtp:
They actually had a recall for the 98 and newer.
So my 2002 should be covered then if i were to take it to a dealer?!
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: Headlamp moisture - 02/17/06 12:54 AM

bump for the last question.

You guys thing $150/set is a good deal for headlamps? Ouch. Mine are horribly moistured up and I'm having a hard time justifying spending that much.

Then theres those new black GP lamps for 190+50shipping. Search for 'grand prix headlights black'.
Posted by: boosnark1

Re: Headlamp moisture - 02/17/06 06:23 AM

There have been issues with the delivery of the black GP lamps on Ebay. Check out his feedback or ClubGP for more info.

Re: Headlamp moisture - 02/17/06 08:31 AM

The negative feed back was due to liveonspeed being out of stock. As soon as his shipment was cleared by customs, he fulfilled all of his back orders.
I was keeping an eye on when he started delivering and ordered mine then. It took normal delivery time for me to get them, 4 days from Cal to TX.
I paid $205, $180 + shipping.

I haven't decided if I like them yet. Light output is way down. I'm still trying to tweak the adjustments to get them aimed right. T/S's light output is also way down, but they do look cool on a white car (I'll have updated pics sometime soon laugh ).