engine mounts

Posted by: simonmw75

engine mounts - 09/29/08 01:49 PM

Is it possible to replace the engine mounts without yanking the engine out?
Posted by: gteisele

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 02:38 PM

yes i beleive so......i think you just have to make sure the engine is not putting pressure on them, with a jack......someone will chime in who has done them though....good luck
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 02:50 PM

Use an engine hoist. Unbolt the motor mount bolts and lift the engine up a few inches.

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 02:56 PM

There will be enough play to lift the motor up without disconnecting anything other than the two mounts?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 03:10 PM

Jack works fine. No need for a hoist and yes the motor will move enough without disconnecting anything.

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 03:10 PM

the two upper mounts and the lower engine mount, yes.

I would have someone there to stand and watch the engine, too. You might need to move some stuff, and possibly remove an intake or STB if you have them

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 03:23 PM

Sweet, i'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the help. Not sure if i'm changing the right part. Symptom is, vibration when accelerating, especially when the weight of the car is bearing down on itself. If i'm not accelerating, there is no vibration. Thoughts?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 04:46 PM

Not sure usually bad mounts have clunking/thudding. But I'm going to assume your car is either up there in age or in mileage and your mounts are probably shot anyways so it won't be wasted time/money.

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 08:39 PM

yea mine kinda clunks when i keep it in 1st and get on it after letting off....probably should change those soon....duno if it might be engine or tranny mount

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gteisele:
yea mine kinda clunks when i keep it in 1st and get on it after letting off....probably should change those soon....duno if it might be engine or tranny mount
or maybe you should just leave it in drive wink

Re: engine mounts - 09/29/08 09:05 PM

if only that was an option haha
Posted by: zuulmusic

Re: engine mounts - 09/30/08 12:43 AM

Careful where you jack it up from...

Re: engine mounts - 09/30/08 03:03 PM

Anyone have any idea what it could be, if not an engine mount?
Posted by: RD_GTP03

Re: engine mounts - 10/07/08 10:35 PM

Have You checked Your front-end components like Tie-rod, Bushings or Other parts. Take it to a mechanic & have them tell You what maybe worn or broke. And maybe give him a few dollars for his time & go buy what You need to repair it, yourself.

Then You will have a Better Idea, of what exactly need to be changed.

Re: engine mounts - 10/08/08 01:55 PM

I did have it checked out. Gave me a list of items that "might" be the problem. I'm now trying to use my own experience to determine what should come first. I recently changed the front strut mounts. Should have did that when i changed the struts. This weekend i will do the mounts.
Posted by: RD_GTP03

Re: engine mounts - 10/09/08 08:23 PM

Well if the mechanic can't pinpoint the problem take it to another. Or listen to Hercman & the others & do the mounts, they must need changing at this point any how & if you are willing to do it Yourself, it shouldn't be that expensive. See labor is what makes most repair expensive.

But if the problem persist...you can buy the parts & get some tips from the guys here & do the next possible reason for the problem too...& you will have saved $$$ again.

If I were You I would rule out the problem by doing the cheapest 1st...they still needs to be done sometime shortly. And replacing "Worn Parts" can't be a waste of $$$...Trust me, You will Love that Smooth Ride & the feelings of Accomplishment...knowing that you did it All!
Posted by: Chico

Re: engine mounts - 10/09/08 11:09 PM

Well here's an easy way to check your lower motor mounts,undo the upper mounts you'll need a person to help then start your car apply brakes put the car in gear an rev to about 2000 rpm,the lower mount should hold the engine pretty level if its shot you will see the engine rise up quite a bit.Chico(pops)