Overriding Headlights

Posted by: car8fan

Overriding Headlights - 06/04/05 03:03 PM

There are time when I would like to be able to turn my headlights off. For example when entering my local military base early in the morning so I don't blind the gate guards. Can this be done with my '03 SE? If so,... How?
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/04/05 04:37 PM

There is a way to disable the DRL's, but I'm not sure it's as easy as pulling the fuse on an '03.
Posted by: kustomkid54

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/04/05 10:46 PM

Thought it was the same as 97-03.

http://macgp.clubgp.com/howto/appearance/drl/drl.htm
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/04/05 11:35 PM

Ahh, yes... I think that's to disable to DRL's while leaving the auto on's functionable.
I hate both, DRL's and auto on's.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 01:03 AM

To disable both, just find the DRL fuse and it will also disable the auto lights.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 08:49 AM

Blind em with out wimpy arse headlights? lol If you put one click on your parking brake it will turn off your drls and with one click the brake will not be engaged.
Posted by: car8fan

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 10:52 AM

The base has a rule that headlights are to be dimmed when approaching the gate. I get the riot act read to me almost daily. I've upgraded my "wimpy arse headlights", and foglights, to the xeon bright blues. Nothin' wimpy about them anymore.

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 04:10 PM

All of GMs new cars have DRLs it's something they have to get use to. Next time they say something ask them how your supposed to drive if you shut off your car? And I'm pretty sure your car isn't the only one like that. I've been dealing with that issue for years. Don't let them bully you.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Blind em with out wimpy arse headlights? lol If you put one click on your parking brake it will turn off your drls and with one click the brake will not be engaged.
would you prefer DRL's or the ebrake light on in your dash?

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/05/05 08:07 PM

For his scenario the light would be on for only a minute or two. Just till he gets past the gate guards.
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/10/05 10:04 AM

you can turn the headlight dial to halfway between parking lights and headlights i think and it will turn the lights off. you'll still have parking lights going, but the headlights will be off. the switch has off, parking, and headlights. i know if you put it halfway between one of those three settings it'll do it. i just can't remember off hand!
Posted by: crimpton

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/10/05 10:09 AM

Hello,

I believe the car has to be off and the parking brake engaged on start up for the headlights to be disabled. Thats the way it is on my car.

It is true, if you find the location right in between the parking lights, and the headlights with your dial, the headlights will turn off. I do this while driving around looking at X-mas lights. Last year, our club went around looking at lights, and it worked on all of our cars.

Later now,
Clint
Posted by: Gucci

Re: Overriding Headlights - 06/10/05 01:07 PM

There is a way to override just the daytime running lights on 01 and newer GP's. There is an access panel on the drivers side of the dash, that you can see when the drivers door is open. Pop the panel off and inside, there will be a relay box, this is the module for the DRL's. Just unplug it, and off go the DRL's.