Oil Pan job -- help!!

Posted by: Allen Waters

Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/01/08 02:57 PM

I am trying to complete an oil pan gasket job on my daughters 97 GP 3800. I have completed it to the point of putting the mounts back together, here's where I am stumped and need advice. with engine supported, I installed the motor mounts - and brackets. On the passenger side there are 3 bolts - 2 on on one side above and below each other and on off to the side I believe it's the right side. I CANNOT GET THE ONE OFF TO THE SIDE BACK IN!! I HAVE TRIED TO APPROACH IT EVERY WAY I CAN AND I CAN'T GET IT. The transaxle seems to be in the way everywhere I go. What am I doing wrong - it came out but can't get to it now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/01/08 04:35 PM

I have no idea what you are saying.

You cant get the engine back in?
Is the engine attached to the tranny still?
Posted by: Allen Waters

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/01/08 05:00 PM

The 3 bolts on the passenger side bracket is what I am referring to. I cannot gain enough access to insert the single bolt that connects the mounting brackets to the engine. I can gain access to the 2 but not the third becasue of the transaxle -- any suggestions
Posted by: ordonez1307

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/01/08 05:07 PM

Ok, I know what you're talking about. Not sure how to go about it. Can you put up a pic? It might help a bit

Wonder if it's possible to go without it?
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/01/08 05:26 PM

It is possible but not wise.

If it came out it'll go back in. Just be patient.

if you put the other side in already maybe if you take that side apart and try this side first.
Posted by: Chico

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/02/08 10:39 PM

Honestly the two bolts will hold just fine throw the left over in the parts bin.Chico(pops)
Posted by: 2fast4u

Re: Oil Pan job -- help!! - 12/03/08 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chico:
Honestly the two bolts will hold just fine throw the left over in the parts bin.Chico(pops)
X2

i mean look at me..... 12.13 and a bucket full of bolts left over........ less weight is faster, and better gas mileage crazy