Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179906 - 06/24/05 01:14 PM G6 engines
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
I was reading an online Motor trend article yesterday about the G6 and it stated "the 3.5 and 3.9 V6 engines are about as refined as a pushrod engine can get"...but they gave very little in the way of specs or what other engine it was based on (or if it was a clean sheet of paper) does anyone have any further info?...are they 60 or 90 degree engines?...I'm just getting more curious, this GTP coupe and convertible hardtop (yeah!) have gotten my juices flowing a bit. (last week it was a Bonneville...am I pathetic or what?!) crazy

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#179907 - 06/24/05 04:38 PM Re: G6 engines
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Ya that G6 GTP sounds nice but when I looked at a G6 the other day (it was in a parking lot) It was just too small for me.
#179908 - 06/24/05 08:12 PM Re: G6 engines
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
From a little google

It is based off of the 3500, which is the evolution of the 3400 engine, that traces its roots back to the 3100 and 2.8L engines. It is not related to the 3800, but will match the horsepower of the 3800 supercharged version. I don't know about DOD, but it would probably be an option.

Quote:
The fun of the Malibu and Maxx SS models undoubtedly begins with the 3900 V-6 that creates 240-hp at 5,800 rpm and 245 lb-ft of torque at 2,800 rpm, though 90 percent of that torque is on tap from 1,800 to 5,800 rpm.

This engine is a production variant of GM Powertrain's new 60-degree V-6 OHV engine family, which Dewar says is ''designed to deliver smoothness and quality while balancing strong performance and economy.''

The large displacement of the 3900 V-6 is achieved with 99-mm offset bores and an 84-mm stroke and combines with torque-enhancing technologies such as active air intake to produce a broad, flat torque curve that ''translates into exceptional all-around performance and terrific off-the-line launch feel.''

Dewar says the variable-valve timing bolsters performance, enhances economy and reduces emissions, and an electronically-controlled cam phaser provides for infinitely variable adjustment of camshaft timing in relation to the crankshaft. ''By electronically controlling the camshaft,'' he explains, ''the optimum location can be selected for various engine operating conditions, maximizing torque and horsepower outputs.''

Cam phasing in a pushrod engine can you believe that?
#179909 - 06/25/05 09:37 AM Re: G6 engines
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
thanks for the info Herc...I think the car companies are liking the pushrod engine more and more of late because of their dependibility and compact design...I've been very impressed so far with the performance of the 3400 in my wife's Montana sport van...with this engine being a step up from that in a slightly smaller car, it could make for a real stormer. I agree that the G6 does look a bit smaller but I was surprised at how roomy and comfortable the driver cockpit was. I'm sure it has less back seat room, but thats no longer an issue for me since we have the van now if we need to "people haul"...and on a side note, when I had my Lumina, the 3.1 with the Cherry bomb exhaust made for a mean, rumbly sound...I'd love to hear one of these 3.9s with some super 40 Flowmasters.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com