Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166245 - 03/07/08 06:23 PM Autoshow Now with pics
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Went to the Virginia International auto show in Richmond VA today. I finally got to see, touch and sit in the G8. Man I want that car now. The front is comfortable the rear is spacious. Only thing I thought that was cheasy was the battery cover. The battery is in the trunk and the cover just has a couple little tabs to hold it in place. I see these covers getting knocked around and no longer staying in place. I can also see why that car is as heavy as it is. The extra little stuff. For one the trunklid has a nice liner like the aftermarket carpet liners for the GP.

Seen the new Challenger and it looks much better in person then in photos. Ford had an ugly truck, Jeep had a new SUV, Chrysler had their concept coupe something fire, Chevy didn't have a Camaro but they had the "SS" concept a sleek lookin sedan.

I took some pictures but you'll have to wait till I get home.

I listened in on some of the conversations between the salesmen and people potential buyers. The salesmen were full of poop. The chevy salesman convinced a guy that the 3.4 and 3.6 were the same as the 3.8 only adjusted for 07 EPA standards. Then went on to say that Buick is on the chopping list followed by Pontiac and then GMC. What a crock.

Oh by the way the G6 GXP all tricked out stickered for the same as the G8 GT. Which would you choose? lol.
#166246 - 03/07/08 06:42 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
Richard Candelario Offline
I called up Sisbarro Poncho today. They wont be getting the G8 for atleast another 3-4 weeks. linda said that she'd call me as soon as they got one in so I could drive it, whether it's all primmed and polished or not. I said too groovy. Dude, I wanna G8 now SOOO bad...I wonder if I could afford payments w/o recruiter incentive pay?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#166247 - 03/07/08 06:47 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The GT stickered for $29,995. Now lets see what kind of mark up the dealers do. It was the most powerful RWD for under 30k on the floor.

Also checked out the Trailblaser SS man thats a nice ride as well.
#166248 - 03/07/08 11:00 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
One good thing I can say for Beaman Pontiac in Nashville is he WILL NOT do a dealer mark up. cheers
#166249 - 03/08/08 02:28 AM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
Acefighter Offline
Loc: Texas
I got to see it at the Houston Auto Show, but you couldn't get in it. frown I'm jealous.
#166250 - 03/08/08 05:25 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
HercMan(Rob) Offline
The only cars they wouldn't let you sit in were the "one off" concepts.
#166251 - 03/09/08 10:10 AM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
holy smokes Herc! I wish I knew you were in town, we might could have hooked up for the show. I took my Mom over there Saturday afternoon and I did quite a bit of oogling. Its a good thing I'm not a wealthy man or Pontiac would have all my money.
I must admit to being a little disappointed in the G8 they had on display. Comfort and room felt on par with the last gen GP IMO...I did like the interior layout and the red faced guages, ala the GTO...BUT if this is the new "hot ticket" could they have picked a more lackluster color to display? The car obviously has the hardware (if you want a V8) but that gunmetal exterior on grey interior which had no accent color for contrast (other than the aforementioned guages)...add to that the dull finish aluminum wheels and the car was no show stopper. Maybe that was the only model they could get for the show.
However the G6 GXP sedan parked right next to it was oozing with attitude. From its unique front and rear fascias, stainless grilles, chrome wheels with fat profile tires, to its polished big bore exhaust tips and its "hammerhead" decklid spoiler, this was hands down the best looking G6 sedan I've seen yet. To look over at the standard G6 sedan it was hard to believe it was the same car.
The Torrent GXP was also a sharp looking SUV. With its ShortStar engine, lowered stance, stout wheel/tire combo (which were also chrome) tu-tone leather interior, dressed in formal black this was a truck after my own heart...sharp-sharp-sharp!
Plus if GM would greenlight the supercharged EcoTec for the G5 they would have a winner of little coupe...but I'm sure that would injure Chevys precious CobaltSS sales, cuz the G5 is a much nicer looking car inside and out...and attractively priced and comfortable for small entry level coupe.
Hopefully we will soon see a more "Pontiac Excitement" version of the G8...Ponchos have never been understated and this car deserves better. Bring on the Machismo model with the hot paint, chrome wheels and a decklid spoiler worthy of the muscle this car is packing...people want a musclecar to make as much of a visual statement as it does with acceleration.

With other cars, the Challenger was Boss looking to be sure and the Chrysler Firepower concept is actually a couple years old, and I personally think had Chrysler been smart they would have scrapped the Crossfire and cut production of the Viper (since Firepower shares its chassis) and put this muscular looking weapon into production...IMO they would have had a true Corvette competitior. With its 6.1 Hemi and sleek good looks it would have been far cheaper than the Viper and one look at this car makes the Crossfire look absolutely impotent.
All in all Richmond is not big car show but still a pretty well rounded one.

PS for Slick...I checked out the G35 coupe while I was there as well and I do have to admit it was pretty nice ride...pricey but still very nice...the display car was cream white, I'm sure your black one looks better.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#166252 - 03/09/08 11:11 AM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
Tim, why arent you writing for Car&Driver or something?

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#166253 - 03/09/08 12:04 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
20gtp02 Offline
Someone find his posts and submit them!
I remember talking about this a few months ago about his trip to Texas. Was a great write up!

#166254 - 03/09/08 02:33 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
yeah it was. I'm tempted to submit Tim "anonymously" to C&D, R&T, MT, HRM, and PHR.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#166255 - 03/09/08 09:13 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
ThunderBat Offline
I think most of the magazines are based in Michigan or points north...dont know if I could deal with the harsh winters (especially since plenty of folks here have complained about it mightily)

However I would be very interested in an "editor at large" kind of deal but I dont know if they do that kind of thing. I also deal with the fact that I have no degree in literature, english or journalism. All I do have have is my passion for cars and I suppose I have gleaned much from reading those publications for so many years. Still doesnt change the fact that there are probably hundreds of other people more qualified for the job than me. But please feel free to sing my praises to whomever you wish, since I certainly wouldnt deny a decent job offer since I'm so close to pension on my present job.
Thanks once again for the props guys. thumbsup I'm glad you enjoy the posts.

#166256 - 03/09/08 09:39 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
ThunderBat Offline
back on topic...

I was actually surprised at how little attention the Pontiac area was getting, granted it was at one end of the building but if what Herc was saying about the salespeople were true then several of them should be fired. Why on Earth would you go about announcing that other GM divisions are onthe way out? Isnt the economy issue bad enough without in house doomsayers?
I was actually thankful to see very few people looking at Hummers for a change, but one segment really stuck out in my mind...the mid-sized sedan wars.
The Honda Accord and the Nissan Altima had people crawling all over them. GM came with its big guns though by gracing the floor with not one but three new Malibus. If attention equals sales this car is on the way up because you could barely see any of the three for the throngs of lookers and feelers. Flies on rotten apples comes to mind.
At the opposite end of that spectrum is Chrysler's decision to axe several models to finance a restyle of the Sebring sedan. This looked to be wise move on their part since there was a brilliant black Sebring Limited sedan in plain view as you entered the main show doors. Glistening and sparkling under the bright lights, this car had not even a fingerprint in sight on it, leaving you to wonder if there was in invisible electric dog fence around it or was it simply abandoned as the best dressed orphan in attendance. In stark contrast, the Charger SE a mere 12 feet away looked as if it had been run over by an army of lizards. A poor young man with the most exasperated look was wiping and dusting the car seemingly non stop. I asked him if it had been a long day to which he replied,
"I just got here!"
Obviously not a happy camper and radically underpaid for what he was doing.

I'm actually quite surprised that this thread has lasted this long and someone has yet to post the emoticon "this thread is worthless without pictures"
Especially given the sheer number of picture whores we have on board...I guess that is only outweighed by the number of post whores (did I just type that out loud?) lol

#166257 - 03/09/08 09:40 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
brown Offline
Loc: Belleville, MI
You're write-ups are very good tbat. You should submit a review on a car to some magazines, you never know what might happen. You could try to do freelance writing and you wouldnt have to relocate. So long as you have internet access you can email your work from anywhere.
#166258 - 03/09/08 10:17 PM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
holy smokes Herc! I wish I knew you were in town, we might could have hooked up for the show. I took my Mom over there Saturday afternoon and I did quite a bit of oogling. Its a good thing I'm not a wealthy man or Pontiac would have all my money.
I must admit to being a little disappointed in the G8 they had on display. Comfort and room felt on par with the last gen GP IMO...I did like the interior layout and the red faced guages, ala the GTO...BUT if this is the new "hot ticket" could they have picked a more lackluster color to display? The car obviously has the hardware (if you want a V8) but that gunmetal exterior on grey interior which had no accent color for contrast (other than the aforementioned guages)...add to that the dull finish aluminum wheels and the car was no show stopper. Maybe that was the only model they could get for the show.
However the G6 GXP sedan parked right next to it was oozing with attitude. From its unique front and rear fascias, stainless grilles, chrome wheels with fat profile tires, to its polished big bore exhaust tips and its "hammerhead" decklid spoiler, this was hands down the best looking G6 sedan I've seen yet. To look over at the standard G6 sedan it was hard to believe it was the same car.
The Torrent GXP was also a sharp looking SUV. With its ShortStar engine, lowered stance, stout wheel/tire combo (which were also chrome) tu-tone leather interior, dressed in formal black this was a truck after my own heart...sharp-sharp-sharp!
Plus if GM would greenlight the supercharged EcoTec for the G5 they would have a winner of little coupe...but I'm sure that would injure Chevys precious CobaltSS sales, cuz the G5 is a much nicer looking car inside and out...and attractively priced and comfortable for small entry level coupe.
Hopefully we will soon see a more "Pontiac Excitement" version of the G8...Ponchos have never been understated and this car deserves better. Bring on the Machismo model with the hot paint, chrome wheels and a decklid spoiler worthy of the muscle this car is packing...people want a musclecar to make as much of a visual statement as it does with acceleration.

With other cars, the Challenger was Boss looking to be sure and the Chrysler Firepower concept is actually a couple years old, and I personally think had Chrysler been smart they would have scrapped the Crossfire and cut production of the Viper (since Firepower shares its chassis) and put this muscular looking weapon into production...IMO they would have had a true Corvette competitior. With its 6.1 Hemi and sleek good looks it would have been far cheaper than the Viper and one look at this car makes the Crossfire look absolutely impotent.
All in all Richmond is not big car show but still a pretty well rounded one.

PS for Slick...I checked out the G35 coupe while I was there as well and I do have to admit it was pretty nice ride...pricey but still very nice...the display car was cream white, I'm sure your black one looks better.
I wish I knew you were in town as well, Im only like 1 1/2 away from richmond. I've been gone the whole weekend. But yea I think I would get the G8 over the G6 gxp, although I like the G6 gxp sedan.
#166259 - 03/10/08 08:05 AM Re: Autoshow Now with pics
HercMan(Rob) Offline
I told you guys I was going to be in Norfolk lol. Tbat to be honest I forgot your in VA now thought you were still in the Baltimore area. As for the car show I heard an ad on the radio and then pointed the camry west on 64 and got there just after opening lol. I was there until about 1230.