Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169037 - 03/23/08 06:19 PM Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Loc: Oregon
Since I just read a topic on here that mentioned some photography pros on this board, I thought I'd ask for input.

We are in the market for a digital camera. We have a digital point and shoot right now, but we are hoping to get something better quality. Unfortunately I have sticker shock after looking at the Canon Rebel XTi that was recommended to us by several friends.

What do you guys recommend? I like the new Canon XSi reviews, but it's hard for me to drop $700 on a camera, and hundreds (thousands?) more on things like a flash, lenses, etc.

I guess my wife and I would put ourselves in the "amateur" range of photgraphy. She loves taking photos, and we are looking for something that can take a lot of good action shots of our little girl, so I need something fast.

Suggestions on make/models and where to get the best deals?
#169038 - 03/23/08 07:50 PM Re: Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Ok, I just read Bobby's thread about getting an XTi...So Bobby, how is the camera for you?

Can someone explain the lens terminology to me? I understand, "zoom", "windangle", etc but the numbers screw me up.

I'm curious how people compare the XTi versus the new XSi. The new one has a larger LCD and a live view which is something we've really grown dependent on with our point-and-shoot. So I think those selling points have me, unless anyone can point out obvious flaws with the XSi.

Now...just trying to decide how I'm going to pay for this and an iphone for myself. (grumble grumble)
#169039 - 03/23/08 08:18 PM Re: Digital cameras
lonezergling Offline
Loc: Waterford, WI
That's easy, dump the iPhone.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/venomman/
"If you are asking if you can do it, you can't. When you have learned enough to know that you can do it, you are able to." -me
#169040 - 03/23/08 08:44 PM Re: Digital cameras
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
So far I love my XTi. I already had a couple of lenses so I was good in that department.
A couple of weeks ago I bought an Opteka EF-600 flash for $100. Next I'm either buying a macro flash (flash ring around the lens) or a battery grip. I have quit decided yet.

If you are looking for something a little less expensive, I would suggest maybe looking at the Canon Powershot S5 . I was at my dad's today for Easter festivities and he just bought one a couple of days ago. It's pretty much one step below a D-SLR yet a top of the line "Point-n-Shot". It does video as well as pictures and he said he paid somewhere around $350 for his. You can buy extra lenses if you feel the need to as well as other accessories like a flash, although like any other camera out there, it comes with it's own flash.

I would also suggest going to Best Buy or Circuit City or what ever electronics store you desire so you can check all these cameras out and you'll be able to hold them in your hand.

edit:

Here's a couple of pics I've snapped off with my XTi...

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#169041 - 03/23/08 10:51 PM Re: Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Thanks Bobby!

I think I'm definitely ready for a DSLR, but since I'm just starting, I don't have any lenses...it's just going to be a gradual purchase process.

I already bought a good quality camcorder last year, so I have no need for video...I just want a really good camera.

Those photos look great.
#169042 - 03/23/08 11:00 PM Re: Digital cameras
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Bobby, those pics are so crisp it's not even funny. That is very professional stuff.
#169043 - 03/23/08 11:31 PM Re: Digital cameras
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
Check Amazon.com, sometimes you can gt a good deal there. I paid $480 for mine (refurbished model) and I ended up getting a whole lot more than I expected. 6 batteries, 2 chargers (one has a power plug option if you ever need to charge the batteries in the car), 2 mini-tripods and some other minor misc stuff.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#169044 - 03/24/08 12:47 AM Re: Digital cameras
northtnguy Offline
Loc: Nashville, TN
Bobby got a great deal on his camera. Nothing wrong in buying a refurbished unit ... it might be a little better since it was gone over and everything checked out.

Having live view on a dSLR probably won't be very useful for you. I have it on my 40D and have only used it once and that was to show someone how it worked. You'll find that a dSLR is just too heavy to hold out in front of you to get a steady shot using it. Of course, YMMV.

You'll also find a dSLR is quite faster than any point and shoot and since you have a child, you'll immediately see the advantage of having the fast focus and no lag from pushing the shutter and actually getting the shot you want.

Don't let the terminology get to you. It will all fall into place the more you research the lenses. I'd suggest getting at least a 17-50 lens to start with ... and you don't have to buy Canon glass to get good lenses (if you decide to go with Canon). Remember that most of the cameras we're talking about here don't have a full size sensor in them and you'll have to figure in the crop factor of 1.6 (1.5 for Nikon).

Canon, Sony and Nikon all have good dSLRs now. Personally, I think Canon has the best look with their silky smooth images.

Here's a few shots of a wedding I did yesterday with my 40D.

If you need any help, you're more than welcome to PM me and I'm sure Bobby would be more than happy to help you, too.

Don
#169045 - 03/24/08 09:25 AM Re: Digital cameras
SlickGTP Offline
Loc: Houston, TX
I just bought a Canon S5 off a friend of mine. Great little camera. More than a point 'n shoot, but little less than a true SLR.

Nice little camera... Much better than my old Sony F717.

Kinda sorta, yeah, no?

'02 Black GTP - RIP 03/03/08 ||| '06 Black G35 MT6 - Stock ||| '73 Chevy half ton(resurrected)
#169046 - 04/01/08 10:16 PM Re: Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Ordered my XTi today.

I bought a brand spankin' new one, so I didn't get the deal as good as Bobby, but I'm excited.

Camera, 18-55mm lens, case, extra battery, UV filter and a 4GB memory card.

I'd still some other acessories, but this gets us started for now.

Thanks for your help Don.
#169047 - 04/02/08 12:03 AM Re: Digital cameras
ThunderBat Offline
Loc: Virginia
sounds like you got a good package...we went witht the Rebel XTi mostly because my wife already had a Rebel EOS 35mm and all her lenses interchange with the new digital.

Thoughts from the Highway of Life www.tobthebat.wordpress.com
#169048 - 04/02/08 01:44 AM Re: Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBat:
sounds like you got a good package...we went witht the Rebel XTi mostly because my wife already had a Rebel EOS 35mm and all her lenses interchange with the new digital.
I really wanted a good telephoto lens...but I didn't want to spend too much
#169049 - 04/02/08 11:12 PM Re: Digital cameras
northtnguy Offline
I think you did good! You'll love the images you'll get with the Canon. Shoot in RAW and use the included DPP to process them.

Glad I could help you a bit. thumbsup
#169050 - 04/02/08 11:19 PM Re: Digital cameras
northtnguy Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
Quote:
[b] sounds like you got a good package...we went witht the Rebel XTi mostly because my wife already had a Rebel EOS 35mm and all her lenses interchange with the new digital.
I really wanted a good telephoto lens...but I didn't want to spend too much [/b]
Don't worry, wanting different lenses for the new camera is sort of like the modding bug.

I got the 40D with the 28-135 kit lens when it was relased in October and have added the 580EX II flash, 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8 and waiting on FedEx to deliver my new 70-200 2.8 lens tomorrow. laugh

Don
#169051 - 04/02/08 11:22 PM Re: Digital cameras
UMfan Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by northtnguy:
Quote:
Originally posted by UMfan:
[b]
Quote:
[b] sounds like you got a good package...we went witht the Rebel XTi mostly because my wife already had a Rebel EOS 35mm and all her lenses interchange with the new digital.
I really wanted a good telephoto lens...but I didn't want to spend too much [/b]
Don't worry, wanting different lenses for the new camera is sort of like the modding bug.

I got the 40D with the 28-135 kit lens when it was relased in October and have added the 580EX II flash, 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8 and waiting on FedEx to deliver my new 70-200 2.8 lens tomorrow. laugh

Don [/b]
I have to be practical though because I'm getting too many expensive hobbies.

-Building/modding my computer
-Modding the GP
-Xbox 360
-My guitars
-Video camera
-SLR camera
-Sampling microbrews
-Going to sports events

Oh, and having an infant to take care of now.

Too many hobbies. frown
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >