Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163475 - 09/16/08 04:15 PM My 20 yr old cat is gone I think
20gtp02 Offline
Well had this cat for about 15 years.
We wanted a cat at my previous house for rodents. The rats would walk across the power lines and walk across the line coming to the house and make their way aroudn the house, mostly the garage.
So this old lady fist came over with this cat and checked us at. She stayed for a good hour.
Then a day or so later, she came back and sold us the cat.
Anyways, 15 years later and age 20, my cat just got attacked by something. We have racoons, pherol cats, possums, and what not, and I live on the peninsula beach side! (go figure)
Anyways, I noticed his skin showing near his neck. Told my mom about it. Well, a few days later (today) I looked at it and see a 1/4-1/2" freaking hole in his neck, I about puked.
For 20 he still manages to get up on all our cars, even the roof of the trailblazer. He is really skinny, but comes to eat alot. Last 10 years he has been an outside cat, before that he was half in half out. Our snauzer doesn't get along with any animals.
The cat has never been social, basically to me its wild. Never liked to be around people.
When it was an half in half out cat, it would sit on my moms lap some nights for an hour, then go outside for the remainder of the a.m. hours.
Well my dad took him into the vet today.
He may just put him down. Being the age, and that wound looks nasty right now.
Poor cat is fur and bones, so fragile.
He sleeps in the road, and cars have to go way around or honk like made to get him to move, sometimes he won't!
One night I came home late and had to open my car door and shoe him away so I could get in the driveway, lol.
Anyways, hope the cat had a great life. Like to see it live until it just dies naturally, but I am not sure about this crazy looking wound.
You can kinda see it in the one pick by his ear and neck.

UPDATE: So my dad returned. He said the Vets were happy to see the cat, given its age!
He said they said it was good to have the hole because that was an abscess that leaked out puss.
So they said may or will lose the hair or skin and they may have to close it up.
Louie is the cats name.

#163476 - 09/16/08 04:34 PM Re: My 20 yr old cat is gone I think
GTPCompG Offline
Loc: Ames, Iowa
I'm sorry dude. I have 2 cats (both 13yrs old and 1 has diabetes, we must give it shots regularly) and there getting older and its sad to see them get older as they become more weaker. I would def get the cat to the vet to check out the neck wound, etc... Possibly keep it indoors to avoid being hit by a car or be attacked by a rodent. I guess that's what I would do if I were in your situation but if it can still get on top of vehicles, etc I would def say that the cat is still in decent condition and should just let die naturally. 20 is quite the age for a cat btw im suprised its lived that long but it def is a cute cat and hope you have the best of luck with it! smile

Inferno Package/CAI/180tstat/3" DP/AL 104 XP's/3.8 MPS/Tuned
#163477 - 09/16/08 04:53 PM Re: My 20 yr old cat is gone I think
theone2043 Offline
Loc: Pocono, PA
glad to hear everything is fine with her, everyday i think my dog is getting older but then other days she like a pup i dont get it. dont be sad u let it live its life to the fullest...
#163478 - 09/17/08 09:52 AM Re: My 20 yr old cat is gone I think
'01 GT Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Good to hear hes doing good Steve! I can't believe hes 20 yrs old tho! WOW thats an old age for that little guy and to think he can still jump to the top of your cars! haha He will be fine in the end and will live his life to the fullest!

Current:
2004 Dale Jr Monte SS

Old:
01 3.2 intercooled GT RIP
#163479 - 04/30/09 02:21 PM Re: My 20 yr old cat is gone I think
20gtp02 Offline
So the cat hasn't been around in over a day to eat, or be seen.
One the neighbors said saw it sleeping, tried to get up, and rear legs didn't want to work. So it lied back down.
Not sure if the nasty neighbor in the area did something or what.
Don't think she likes the cat in her yard, even though it doesn't do any harm.
I looked around the area of houses, can't find him.