Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180367 - 08/12/09 07:52 PM bumper repaint prep advice
00grandprixgt Offline
Loc: Wall Lake Iowa
well i think im going to prep my front bumper then send it into get primerd and painted.

how would i go abotu doing this.

just sand it until no paint?

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
soon to come: projectors,exhaust work, 3.4 setup.
#180368 - 08/12/09 10:10 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
if your paying for paint and stuff why not just pay the few extra bucks to get it prepped by them, not saying you dont know what your doing, but when it comes to prepping for paint, the prepping is the most key part in painting, if you dont prep right, the paint will turn out like crap.
#180369 - 08/12/09 10:16 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
you have asked me this exact same question about 4 times
#180370 - 08/13/09 12:00 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
jorgs_7 Offline
Loc: Eagan,MN
Karl you owe me money.

But when you selling this whip?
#180371 - 08/13/09 12:13 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
00grandprixgt Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by jorgs_7:
Karl you owe me money.

But when you selling this whip?
stfu up elliot ,really.

and whenever somebody buys it , its on the market.
just fixing the front bumper from it being pretty much ugly.

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#180372 - 08/13/09 12:31 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
Quote:
Karl you owe me money.

dude seriously, you need to stop posting in karls thread about him oweing you money. take it to PMs dude, dont corrupt a perfectly fine thread with BS crap like that.
#180373 - 08/13/09 12:42 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
jorgs_7 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by BoostenGTP02:
Quote:
[b] Karl you owe me money.

dude seriously, you need to stop posting in karls thread about him oweing you money. take it to PMs dude, dont corrupt a perfectly fine thread with BS crap like that. [/b]
I try to!
#180374 - 08/13/09 09:37 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
4drgt Offline
yeah as i can see, karl owes jorgs money, and karl just isnt payen him..... i dont blame jorgs, for posting, hoping to see what karl is doing.....
#180375 - 08/13/09 09:57 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Prep is the most important part. That's where all the cost in painting is. If your not shooting the color yourself might as well have the pros do the whole thing. It will come out much better.

But if you really want to do it yourself. Scuff sand the paint. Use a filler to fill in any imperfections and sand smooth. Hit the cover with flat black spray paint and sand it off. Any spots left after a quick sand will show all the low spots that need to be built up. Once you get the low areas filled repeat the black spray and sand and fill until you are happy. Now you can take it in to be painted.
#180376 - 08/13/09 02:19 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
00grandprixgt Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by HercMan:
Prep is the most important part. That's where all the cost in painting is. If your not shooting the color yourself might as well have the pros do the whole thing. It will come out much better.

But if you really want to do it yourself. Scuff sand the paint. Use a filler to fill in any imperfections and sand smooth. Hit the cover with flat black spray paint and sand it off. Any spots left after a quick sand will show all the low spots that need to be built up. Once you get the low areas filled repeat the black spray and sand and fill until you are happy. Now you can take it in to be painted.
Thank you herc. exatly the advice i was looking for.

-98 GTP DAYTONA 752/1500
-Intake
-CCG grills
-HID
-Tint
-1 12" Pioneer Premier
#180377 - 08/13/09 08:54 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
4drgt Offline
Quote:

this is good on steel parts, but not flexibal plastic parts
#180378 - 08/13/09 09:20 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 4drgt:
Quote:
[b] Prep is the most important part. That's where all the cost in painting is. If your not shooting the color yourself might as well have the pros do the whole thing. It will come out much better.

this is good on steel parts, but not flexibal plastic parts [/b]
Works fine for me. What would you do different?
#180379 - 08/13/09 09:44 PM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
4drgt Offline
i have told karl all of this once ... but for yours and everyone else's future know how

Flexibal parts

Wash the part with a quality car wash soap

use a quality prep cleaner (note wax and greese remover works on some plastics, but on others it soaks into the plastic causing lifing when it comes time to paint.

if you can use a DA sander with proper grit paper (meaning if you have only a few small chips use a larger number grit)

((in this example we are only going to say he has a few rock chips)) use a 320 DA with soft pad to blend the chips out

if you dont have access to a DA sander, use about a 400g wet to blend the chips out

then if you have a few chips that didnt sand out, and you are to the plastic (note as soon as you get to the plasic dont sand further) but use a quality FLEXIBAL plastic filler, depending on the size of the chips evercoat makes a flexibal filler for small chips and knicks. otherwise SEM makes a heavy duty 2 part epoxy which is good for large chips and if you have to do a large plastic repair

afer applying the putty in as small amount as needed sand the area with 80g to first shape the filler then move to 120, 240 then to 320 then finish with 400 if doing by hand, then use a quality cleaner again ... as talked about in the begining

then use a quality adhesion promoter not the dupli color stuff you get from the parts store, (if you are stuck with parts store stuff i think there is a stuff called bulldog which is about the best you can get without going to the paint store)

then use a flexibal primer if the bumper is removed, or if its on the car you can use a reg primer then finish the priming state -- i dont wanna go into detal on that, then paint and clear, make sure on the clear its a flexibal clear to prevent cracking and coming off ....
#180380 - 08/15/09 12:36 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
palsut Offline
Loc: Batavia, Ohio
All fight for 17 buck is getting silly. I don't know what happened between them so I can't side of them.

If Karl really owe him $17 buck then just pay him so he can leave you alone and never bother you. I mean it is only $17 buck.

Jorg7? I don't know... Maybe he lies? lol

Everytime I try sell my stuffs to any members. I always make sure they get their stuff and I get my money. If they sell their stuff and I pay them. Never have any problem. I'm really much honest buyer or seller.

Jorg... if Karl really owe you 17 buck then you can put his name on "dealers or stealers" on top of everything thread.

Sorry not much help between of you. Like I said I don't know what happened but I hope you both settle down and be like adult about who is right or wrong.
#180381 - 08/15/09 03:09 AM Re: bumper repaint prep advice
jorgs_7 Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by palsut:
All fight for 17 buck is getting silly. I don't know what happened between them so I can't side of them.

If Karl really owe him $17 buck then just pay him so he can leave you alone and never bother you. I mean it is only $17 buck.

Jorg7? I don't know... Maybe he lies? lol

Everytime I try sell my stuffs to any members. I always make sure they get their stuff and I get my money. If they sell their stuff and I pay them. Never have any problem. I'm really much honest buyer or seller.

Jorg... if Karl really owe you 17 buck then you can put his name on "dealers or stealers" on top of everything thread.

Sorry not much help between of you. Like I said I don't know what happened but I hope you both settle down and be like adult about who is right or wrong.
Ok, I sent him corner lenses for 17$ Because I knew he was broke. 15$ shipping was from UPS.

I made 2$ That he has failed to give me, He said he was going to pay in cash via USPS.

Either way it's money, I gave him a good deal out of kindness and he can't pay me back for the little 2$ profit that I made, Wow. What a good buyer :rolleyes: