Hemi Charger R/T

Posted by: BTC13

Hemi Charger R/T - 07/15/05 11:27 PM

I know, it's a GP board, but I was driving the GTP when I came across this one. Having owned a few Chargers(67,68,71,85 and a GLHS), I'm glad that it's back, but really wish it was still a two door. The black ones do hide the 2 extra doors quite well. Caught him at a light and was admiring his car. His window went down and he complimented me on the GTP as I did the same in return. I prefer a more aggressive sounding exhaust, but you can't have everything. As went get on the on ramp for the expressway he did a hp check and took off. Knowing I didn't have a chance, I at least wanted to get close enough to hear it at speed. I was quite impressed and can't wait for the SRT8 or 10 version to come out.
Posted by: BryantGTP

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/15/05 11:34 PM

Those Chargers are pretty sweet. On Dodge's site, they claim a 6.3L hemi option, but I didn't see it in the car builder.
Posted by: ThunderBat

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/16/05 08:56 AM

I think its a 6.1 Hemi that is offered on the SRT8 version...I dont think its available on any other vehicle except the trucks...I really like the idea that they brought the name back but I wish it had been a coupe as well. I've heard rumor that they're gonna offer a short wheelbase coupe and convertible, but I've also read that those projects are in jeopardy due to cost issues.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/16/05 09:42 AM

Have heard that also and that the coupe was to be the Challenger. Wouldn't be surprised if the escalating gas prices have something to do with automakers bringing additional performance/higher horsepower cars to the market.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/16/05 12:45 PM

SRT8 will have the bigger hemi coming out this fall/winter I believe.
Posted by: Dementeddj

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/17/05 05:00 AM

had a big outdoor concert here couple weeks ago (country stampede) and dealer had one there... didn't hear it rumble, but sat down in it, and checked it out...one word...SSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DVD player in back seat w/remote &monitor, not to mention HUGE trunk. I think that if I buy a new car to replace the GTP, I might have to look at the new charger (no "are we there yet?" comments with the dvd player)
Posted by: BonnevilleLover

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/17/05 09:22 AM

Maybe I am just Mr. Negativity today but I just don't like them that much. Those "Mack Daddy" front ends just kill me. lol

When I see them I can already see 24 inch rims with spinners going around and around while they are stopped. Did I mention that when I was a kid, a spinner was something you sat down on and sun yourself around on until you threw up? smile
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/17/05 03:23 PM

Yes, the Challenger will be coming out soon, and it will be a 2-door. I thing the Charger, Magnum, and 300C are all nice cars. I would have to take the Hemi in all three of them. I've been looking forward to the Challenger to come out, that's why I'm not all that excited about the 4-door Charger at this point.
Posted by: Stock97GTP

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/17/05 07:55 PM

Just tell me that they're not going to try and remake Vanishing Point again...

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/19/05 10:58 PM

wouldnt surprise me to see an AAR option right off the bat (no pun) DC seems to be high on paper tigers these days..."Rumble Bee" and "Daytona" pickup trucks...Charger R/T Daytona 4 doors...someone in marketing needs to get a clue
Posted by: BonnevilleLover

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 04:20 AM

I just can't get past the "Mack Daddy" look. Why not throw some 24" rims on there with some spinners. smile

Call me crazy, but doesn't sleek look better on the newer cars? Aren't they just appealing to our love of the old muscle car by making them look similar? Is that the difference between say... Pokemon and Yuigiho? sigh...

OK SO I ADMIT IT, I saw pics of the new 450 HP Mustang KR500. :| I want one. 39,000.00

I'm just a sucker for marketing.
Posted by: framos242

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 10:44 AM

Mmmmmmm.... Hemi....... devilgrin
Posted by: TastyBake

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 01:21 PM

The trend in design now is retro. They are abandoning the aerodynamic look for full size cars.

Hemi, shmemi. It was/is not exactly a technological masterpiece. The old 440 was much better than a hemi.

I like the 300c but I don’t like the charger. Yea, they are basically twins but that angry headlight look on a 30k car is kinda corny and sort of what ricers would do.
Posted by: UMfan

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:
The trend in design now is retro. They are abandoning the aerodynamic look for full size cars.

Hemi, shmemi. It was/is not exactly a technological masterpiece. The old 440 was much better than a hemi.

I like the 300c but I don’t like the charger. Yea, they are basically twins but that angry headlight look on a 30k car is kinda corny and sort of what ricers would do.
That's funny. I feel the complete opposite.

I like the Charger and dislike the 300C.

I also like the retro look and think the new Mustangs and Chargers are cool.
Posted by: framos242

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TastyBake:

The old 440 was much better than a hemi.
I agree.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 05:27 PM

the old 440 would never run on todays fuel and certainly never get 25-27mpg...I think the LX cars are in much the same boat as the GTO...great hardware, mediocre styling and trying to live up to a legend...the "Charger" would be cool with another nameplate...I'm sorry folks, but park the new car next to that black monster from the "Fast and Furious" flick and I dont see any retro heritage at all.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/20/05 08:36 PM

If you wanted a motor for power and daily driving, then the 440 is the way to go. If you are going for maximum horsepower and quickest 1/4 mile times, then the Hemi is the way to go. If you aren't sure of this, consider the fact that NHRA's quickest 1/4 mile times are obtained through Hemi derivitives. I applaud Phord's application of retro styling with the Mustang. Many seem to have forgotten they they did this first when they brought the Tbird back out. I see no retro in the current incarnation of the Charger except the Hemi powerplant. Now, put a 6 speed pistol grip shifter in it and....... Many would be surprised to find out that the lates 80's 4 cylinder GLHS Charger posted 1/4 mile times as good or better than most the 60's/70's Chargers.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/21/05 01:13 AM

I was comparing old 440 to old hemi.

I really like the new mustang's styling. I liked the thunderbird's exterior but the interior is a joke. It is almost 100% identical to the older, cancelled T-bird. Sheese, upgrade the interior too, guys!!

The Hemi is a great sales pitch for dodge to get people in the showrooms. Good move.

If they really retro'ed the charger like they did the mustang and made it more independent with styling, I would jump on it like a 5 yr old on its parents bed when they are downstairs partying.
Posted by: Jizz

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/21/05 06:23 PM

I dorve a Charger R/T last Thursday.

My thoughts where

The dash was hidious
Steering wheel from a mack truck
Seats where flat as a park bench
The Hemi did have good acceleration but was not stellar.

I'll keep my Goat.....way better car.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/21/05 07:20 PM

Never saw the new Tbird interior, didn't realize that it was so lacking.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 02:01 AM

I felt like the T-Birds interior was too similar to the Lincoln LS...I think they share mechanicals anyway so that shouldnt be such a surprise...I think they just made the mistake of putting the car in the Vette price range with nowhere near the performance. I posted over on the LX forums about the Charger nameplate and I got a lot of responses like "what does it matter if it has two more doors?"...my response to that was what if Ford had released a nreplacement for the Taurus and called it the New Mustang?...can you see the present "Five Hundred" with the Cobra V8 being called a Mustang...Dodge has already hung the tape stripe "Daytona" on this new sedan and they dont seem to have a problem with it...can you imagine a four door Shelby...I'll at least give Lee Iacocca crdit for trying to glorify the old "K" car chassis...at least he had sense enough to put them on a coupe.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 02:25 PM

The "it does it matter" feel is probably because the big charger has been gone for so long. The little '80s chargers don't count laugh

If the mustang was gone for that long and came back as a V8 five hundered, people would complain about the styling vs. the 4-door thing.

Perhaps the charger was more sedan than the mustang.
eh.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 05:41 PM

the Charger was a bigger car than the Mustang for sure, but it was never a sedan...to me this was as big a blunder as when they slapped the "Charger" nameplate on that Chrysler Cordoba sistership...I'd take an 80s Omni Charger 2.2 over that piece of scrap metal...I just dont understand why they didnt keep the "Intrepid" name...it was at least as popular as the Taurus...and if Chrysler was going to whine about lagging popularity with NASCAR fans, then put something in the showroom to compete with the Monte Carlo...Forddoesnt seem too concerned, but with the Taurus on the way out it will be interesting to see what they replace it with (as far as NASCAR I mean) if they go with the 500 for that then they're as lackluster as DC (except for the Mustang of course)...not that all this really matters that much anymore since its been years since a cup car actually looked like anything we drive.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 07:08 PM

The new replacement for Phord's Taurus will be the Fusion. It was unveiled a week or two ago. It was in race prep, so hard to say what it actually looks like. Personnally, I feel Nacsar is shooting itself in the foot by having all the makes using virtually the same templates, thus making them all look alike. They will be loosing viewers and sponsors in the near future and run the risk of going the way of cart, irl, and f1. It's time to go back to the rules of the early 70's. Homolugation rules mandated that a certain number of whatever was run on the track be sold at the dealership also. I've yet to see a 2 door Taurus or Intrepid. At least I can get a 2 door Monte if I want one.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 08:53 PM

Do not foget TOYOTA will be running NASCAR soon.

Just like NASCAR trucks to me they died the day the TOY was allowed to race.

A Damn Shame!

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BTC13:
The new replacement for Phord's Taurus will be the Fusion. It was unveiled a week or two ago. It was in race prep, so hard to say what it actually looks like. Personnally, I feel Nacsar is shooting itself in the foot by having all the makes using virtually the same templates, thus making them all look alike. They will be loosing viewers and sponsors in the near future and run the risk of going the way of cart, irl, and f1. It's time to go back to the rules of the early 70's. Homolugation rules mandated that a certain number of whatever was run on the track be sold at the dealership also. I've yet to see a 2 door Taurus or Intrepid. At least I can get a 2 door Monte if I want one.
But not until this year with a V8 -- so where does the Hipociticlal (sp?) end? Follow me?
So should NASCAR be V6?

And for the record I totally Agree with you ... should have to race what you sell!
Posted by: AustinGTP

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jizz:
Do not foget TOYOTA will be running NASCAR soon.

Just like NASCAR trucks to me they died the day the TOY was allowed to race.

A Damn Shame!
Yes, but... the rules have always stated only cars that are manufactured in the US, they never have said they had to be an American company.
Toyota's are built in America, by Americans.
I do still have a little bit of a hard time dealing with Toyota being in NASCAR, but who knew 50 years ago that Japan would be building cars in the US.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/22/05 09:22 PM

I feel that if the Japanese manufacturers get into Nascar it will force the big 3 to make a better mouse trap so to speak. If toyo or honduh come in and kick the big 3, bad on the big 3. Simply change the rules and make Nascar run on the track what I drive on the road every day. If the street version is a 4 door, so shall the Nascar version also. If the street version doesn't have a V8, then it aint running left turns on Sunday. On a side note, if you's like to see the King, Richard Petty, running at @180 again watch the prerace show on TNT Sunday. He will be doing the "Lap around the track" gig that Wally Dallenbach usually does. Kyle will be riding along with him. The King always loved running as close to the wall as possible and gives Kyle a little taste of it.

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/23/05 08:14 PM

Because of Toyota in NASCAR I will never watch a race again.

I am (never was) a really big fan but this is just lame.
Posted by: HercMan(Rob)

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/23/05 08:55 PM

Here's your new Ford

Re: Hemi Charger R/T - 07/24/05 02:16 AM

well at least that does look a tiny little bit like the real car...so much for competing with the Monte Carlo in the showroom...I guess since they have the Mustang and the GT, who cares?