Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102002 - 09/19/08 01:19 AM Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
My temp reading is off on my mirror compass and I thought I needed to recalibrate this to set the right temp. Notladstyle said its my thermostat and that I need a new one. He said its behind the front bumper on the passenger side but I don't see it.

What tools do I need to take this out.

Is this something I can do on my own or have a mechanic fix it.
#102003 - 09/19/08 01:30 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
crimpton Offline
Loc: Portland Or.
It's the temperature sensor in front of the radiator on the passengere side..... Not sure what holds it in place, but it's a plug and play sensor.
If you slide under the car and peak up in front of the radiator you will see it..... Looks like a probe of some sort.

http://pdxcgp.com
#102004 - 09/19/08 08:34 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
AustinGTP Offline
Loc: Austin, TX
You can also access it by removing the pass side grill.

Died 5/1/08, resurrected 5/15/08
ASCD SD hood, 17" Bullitts, Overkill PCM, 3.4" Pulley, NGK TR55IX, K&N 9" cone filter, JimmyC D/P, U-bend removed, Flowmaster 40 series, Hooker big bore tips with resonators, S/B brake lines, drilled/slot rotors, GMPP handling kit, KYB struts, F&R strut supports, HID's, LED's, 2.5" Air Dam, red GTP overlays on custom badges, white rear insert.
#102005 - 09/20/08 09:32 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
Ok, I will try that this evening austin.
#102006 - 09/25/08 01:15 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by crimpton:
It's the temperature sensor in front of the radiator on the passengere side..... Not sure what holds it in place, but it's a plug and play sensor.
If you slide under the car and peak up in front of the radiator you will see it..... Looks like a probe of some sort.
Well I got up under the car and I do see a blue plastic thing thats plug into something, could that be it.
#102007 - 09/25/08 01:29 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
StreetShaker Offline
Loc: Tyrone, Central PA
Mine is on the inside of my front impact bar, it looks like a little probe thing, i can see it from the top when I opened my hood as well, its on the Pass. side

"Mr. Mom"
#102008 - 09/25/08 01:49 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
The blue thing that I saw was in front of the radiator, somewhat under the hood latch area but I can access it better from under the car since its near the bottom of the car.
#102009 - 09/25/08 01:57 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
StreetShaker Offline
Mines black..... but it is easier to get at underneath the car, It will be a little probe looking thing with a plug in it. thats it.

"Mr. Mom"
#102010 - 09/25/08 02:05 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
Whats the actually name of the part. I went on autozone website to find the part and when I type in temperature sensor, it comes back as mass air flow sensor and coolant sensor.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
#102011 - 09/25/08 02:06 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
StreetShaker Offline
It will probably be a GM part.

If I had to guess I would say its called like the "Ambient Air Temp Sensor" or something of the sort.

"Mr. Mom"
#102012 - 09/25/08 12:46 PM Re: Where is my thermostat?
gteisele Offline
Loc: New Jersey
x2 on what streetshaker said.....check with a gm dealer autozone doesn't always have everything
(99 GT),K&N 9" intake,ZZP HV TB(68mm), ZZP PCM,ZZP front powerlog, HV3 intake manifold spacer, 3" DP to SLP exhaust,Comp Cam 801 and springs, MSD ignition,Voltage Booster,black housing headlights with HID kit and halos
#102013 - 09/26/08 08:32 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
If you actually go to autozone, they can find the part on their computer, thats where I got mine.

The sensor's actually really easy to get to if you remove the splash guard or whatever it is, held down with two or three faux screws. Saves having to crawl under the car. smile
#102014 - 09/28/08 10:42 PM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Dre da GP man Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
If you actually go to autozone, they can find the part on their computer, thats where I got mine.

The sensor's actually really easy to get to if you remove the splash guard or whatever it is, held down with two or three faux screws. Saves having to crawl under the car. smile
Are you talking about the plastic stuff that covers the hood latch area?
#102015 - 09/29/08 09:40 AM Re: Where is my thermostat?
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
yep. Sorry, hard to describe it clearly.