Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108468 - 07/05/06 11:15 AM Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Loc: Mexico City
Yesterday I took my GP for a trip of around 300 miles on an interstate highway, my tranny then got to hot when i started to go up inclinated and very long hills and it started slipering, I opened the hood and there was white smoke, i noticed i needed almost a liter of trans fluid, i let it get cold then i continue without any problem, until i came back and drove again on this inclinated roads, it went hot, this time it didn't sliped, but when i went to my mechanic my fluid was very thin, he is checking right now, what do you think??
It is still under warranty, but i noticed it will be hard to make them pay for a total remake if this is neccesary.

----------------------------------
My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#108469 - 07/05/06 11:58 AM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Had this issue on my SHO. My money is on a front seal and possible torque convertor replacement due to the convertor being warped.

Oh, and you might want to rethink your post titles in the future wink (I was like "Whaaaaat??")

Maybe I am just malaligned, lol
#108470 - 07/05/06 12:21 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Thanks Chunkee,

Yep it sound like a tranny wearing a bikini...

I didn't erase this cause i want to point i didn't mean to offend anyone, remember i learn english and today someone told me that this could me misunderstood, NOT MY INTENTION!

My GP went away after more than 5 years of nice driving, good trips all along mexican territory, some mods, stories and headaches, I'm gonna miss it!
#108471 - 07/05/06 12:40 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
I hope you don't have too major of an issue, it was 985 bucks to get my problem fixed frown frown

Oh and did I mention I was driving to north carolina from NY at the time and it broke down in nowhere'sville West Virginia?? (not my place of choice to break down)

Where I ended up at was a Uhaul rental/Gas station/Post office/garage/local watering hole

With the NY plates on the car I was intstantly deemed a "yankee" scumbag (yes, for some reason, southerners STILL to this day are concerned at how the civil war turned out...it freakin amazes me at the idiocity of people these days....)
I know this isn't quite the place to post it but the 4 months I was in NC there were 3 cross burnings at certain "ethnic" related churches in the city......WOW! Try that crap up in NY and see what happens...I dares ya!

Sorry.../rant off
#108472 - 07/05/06 12:50 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
No problem, mi repairment almost a year ago was around 1400 usd, so i want my tranny to function properly. Mine broke far away from my house too, it was a very bad day.

Here in Mexico people from Mexico City are called "chilangos", I'm a proud Chilango, but we are not very popular on the other states...

#108473 - 07/05/06 01:23 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
I forgot something VERY IMPORTANT on my topic, when i pull over and opened the hood there was a little, very little fire down the manifold, i just spit on it and it turned off. Why did this happened??

#108474 - 07/05/06 03:43 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
Tranny fluid will catch fire if heated hot enough...scarry to open the hood and see a fire, YIKES!
#108475 - 07/05/06 04:02 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Yep, my mechanic told me it could be that i have a little leak of engine oil, and it is all dirty, and the tranny + manifolds goit too hot.
Anyway they are checking.

#108476 - 07/05/06 04:08 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
Got my fingers crossed for ya but i still stick to my first prediction of front seal/convertor replacement (lets hope its nothing more than that or even better, covered by some hidden warranty you didn't know you had smile )
#108477 - 07/05/06 04:17 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
This seal you say where exactly is?

By converter seal you mean the torque converter??

#108478 - 07/05/06 04:50 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
Front input shaft seal..its where the tranny meets the engine (tranny has to come out to replace).
If the seal is bad, it may be caused my a off center torque convertor which would rip the seal due to rubbing against it. This is what happened to me. Luckily my input shaft was not warped or that would have been another $????
#108479 - 07/06/06 11:41 AM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Ok, my mechanic change the oil and revised the valves and he ask me to drive it, the tranny mechanic (which is another) told him that he has to watch the car while it has a failure...unbelievable!

Well just with a fluid change the car feels different the 1st to 2nd gear shift is 80% much softer than it used to be, but now i'm in the point where i've been recomended to install a tranny cooler, i told the mechanic all the points i found here why not to install this, but he told me that your drivng conditions there are so different from Mexico City, hard bumps, over sea level, gas quality, very hilly roads + traffic, what do you think??

#108480 - 07/06/06 11:57 AM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
I find it odd that you leaked tranny fluid (White smoke) and they can not reproduce the leak. I still think its your front seal and its not going to miraculously repair itself.
#108481 - 07/06/06 12:20 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Chunkee:
I find it odd that you leaked tranny fluid (White smoke) and they can not reproduce the leak. I still think its your front seal and its not going to miraculously repair itself.
I told him about this seal, he revised it and told me that it is ok, and the small fire could have been due to the extreme ho the tranny got and this oil i have on this area of the manifold, anyway i'm not happy with this, i'll keep an eye on it and the fire extintor on the pass seat.

#108482 - 07/06/06 04:22 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Dre da GP man Offline
Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I know you're not a happy camper but lets hope its nothing big(damn curse of the red gp's) and if it is something big start saving some money up and I don't see a problem with the tranny cooler since the temperature there is hotter than normal.
#108483 - 07/06/06 05:21 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Well I'm seriously thinking on install a tranny cooler, i download the directions and talk with Brian from PFYC, and maybe it is a good option, I don't know if the PFYC one but i'll see.

#108484 - 07/06/06 05:47 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Kansas GXP Offline
Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I would honestly want to know what the tranny fluid temperature is in your tranny, compared to others, to see if there really is a difference. I would not think that by not having a tranny cooler, your car lost fluid, and started fire. There must be some other reason why?????

I would try to get the transmission fluid temp. after doing some of your normal driving. Then compare to someone on this site that has a trans. temp. guage.

Just my 2 cents.
#108485 - 07/06/06 06:02 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Alex Offline
Thanks Kansas,

It is a good advice, on the same line, is there any gauge that allows me to keep checking the tranny temp??

I think i'm loosing fluid cause I had a small leak on the gasket, i was loosing 1/2 liter every 2 months, I hope this leak was repaired yesterday (this leak has been a pain in the ... there.

BTW sorry for my topic title, someone told me here this could be misunderstood with my topic name, not my intention ok??

#108486 - 07/06/06 08:55 PM Re: Hot Tranny
Chunkee Offline
LOL< that was me, sorry, I have a perverted mind smile

There are plenty of transmission temperature guages you can get.

Might I suggest a A-Pillar and a couple guages? I just ordered mine and can hardly wait.

APillar

Phantom guages