Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115417 - 01/12/05 07:55 PM Touch-up question
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
I finally located and purchased a gt/gtp rear bumper cover. Glad I took my time, because I was getting ready to pay $170+shipping for one, but patience paid off -- I found a guy in VA who sold me a silver rear bumper cover for, get this, $40!!! All I had to do was spend $35 in gas, drive in beautiful 70 degree sun through the gorgeous foothills of Virginia and pick it up! HA can do!!
He originally asked more but I found a few scratches here and there and talked him down, which brings me to my question - there are a few small scratches I can fix easily, but the bottom of the darker part with the "pontiac" on it has some scrapes from where someone dragged the cover along the ground mad mad It's not too noticeable to your average person, but dang it I notice it - so any tips for buffing or repairing scrapes on that area?
Also - the small metal bracket pieces on each side, I'm missing the left side bracket... sure I can buy one similar or whatnot, but wouldn't the metal brackets holding my SE bumper be exactly the same?

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#115418 - 01/12/05 08:25 PM Re: Touch-up question
TexasGP Offline
Loc: Georgetown, Texas
Man....Lucky you. I'm still trying to find a cheap one around here somewhere. I seen a few on ebay go pretty cheap, but the shipping on them are horrible. They do sell new, aftermarket ones pretty cheap, but I never have any luck with aftermarket parts. They usually don't line up correctly. So I'm still looking for that OEM one pretty cheap.
#115419 - 01/12/05 09:05 PM Re: Touch-up question
DoberManJT Offline
Loc: North Carolina - Raleigh/Cary
The main reason I didn't go the ebay route is because it was about $100-$150 unpainted and +shipping, the final cost wouldn't have been worth it. Keep an eye on ClubGP - sooner or later one will pop-up. I figured the money saved is worth the bit of extra work needed to patch up a used cover.

04 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, LPE intake system, headers, dyno tune from "RPM"

http://photobucket.com/albums/v221/Dobermanjt/GrandPrix/
#115420 - 01/12/05 09:27 PM Re: Touch-up question
hot2000gtp Offline
Loc: Cleveland Ohio
as far as the scratches when i go to the storage garage I'll look at the stuff i have for scratches. It came from a very good friend of mine who owns a body shop, this stuff is as good as a miracle. Some a** keyed my car at school all the way down my driver side, i came home put this on and buffed it off(ofcourse i made a police report first) once i go out there and get the bottle id be more than happy to ship it to you so you can try it, happy to help gp owners cause ill need it someday.
#115421 - 01/12/05 09:45 PM Re: Touch-up question
SmokinGTP Offline
Loc: Killingly, CT
The only way to determine weither u can fix the scracthes is by depth. If their not to deep i would try add some filler primer and repaint the section otherwise u would have to look around for other ways.

#115422 - 01/13/05 05:22 AM Re: Touch-up question
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
As for the brackets. I believe the SEs and GTs use different brackets. They shouldn't be too hard to find.
#115423 - 01/13/05 07:28 AM Re: Touch-up question
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
With the touch up it depends on the depth of the scratches ,the easy fix for scratches to the clear coat are with an sos pad rub the scatched area gently to remove any residue,then wet sand with 400 the whole area to be repaired ,mask and paint with dupli coluor clear use 3 coats,now of coarse if the scratches are throigh the colour coat you would need to sand & repair scratches ,colour coat & clear.
#115424 - 01/13/05 10:25 AM Re: Touch-up question
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
Sounds like he probly hit something backing up I dont know anyone who would just straight up drag a good bumper on the ground. Depending how deep it is just yea sand and touch up if its too bad b4 u put it on you could have it repainted or repaint it yourself, would be easy since its detached. Duplicolor is a good choice. If its on the lettering pfyc sells reflective lettering for the PONTIAC on the bumper for like 10bucks.
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.