Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123603 - 09/12/06 07:32 PM Re: cars dead
DenverGT Offline
Loc: Denver, CO
There aren't that many different factors that would prevent the engine from starting.

It needs: Spark, Fuel, Air.

Air is usually ok (maybe push the pedal down slightly when starting it in case the idle air control isn't working right)

Fuel is pretty easy to test. When it refuses to start, pull the air intake tube off the throttle body, and spray a couple large sprays of throttle-body cleaner. Then try to start it. The car can run for at least a few seconds off the intake cleaner spray even without any fuel. If it starts, then dies, it's a fuel issue. Otherwise it's a spark issue.

That's the first step. You need to know which system to start chasing down. Intermittant problems are a real pain because you need to wait for the problem before you can troubleshoot.

As for fuel pump, resistor, filter: Maybe a fuel pump could produce this type of intermittant result. I can't imagine how the resistor and/or filter would produce this type of intermittant. I'm more likely to suspect a sensor and/or sensor connector.

Is there anyone near you with a scanner (a full OBDII scanner, not just for trouble codes). Using a scanner you can see the actual output values of the sensors.

Just reading for trouble codes might tell you something (but I'd hope that the shops that checked it would have looked for trouble codes).
#123604 - 09/12/06 07:50 PM Re: cars dead
Geoff Offline
Loc: michigan
everytime it does this i start out by laying down and hitting the gas tank incase the fuel pump is stuck. then i bang on pcm to see if that does anything. then i take the plastic cover off to see if any gas comes out of the nipple (none does). i have even tried disconnecting the battery incase it was a security system issue.

i ran seafoam through the car about 3k miles ago, and it was rescently tuned up. wires/plugs etc.

it has been towed 3 times for this, each time the car starts when it's delivered to the repair shop (i dont understand this part because i have had the car sit for a day before being towed and it would not start) the mechanics claim towing it "jiggles" the car and thats what makes it start. keep in mind everytime it has been to a different repair shop

shops have scanned it, tested fuel pressure etc. no problems they say

-The bottom line is so far these problems have cost me over 500 bucks between towing and the hours they spend testing the car for problems. yet no parts have even been replaced yet besides relays and fuses, until now i am having the fuel pump, resistor, filter changed.
#123605 - 09/12/06 08:08 PM Re: cars dead
DenverGT Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
then i take the plastic cover off to see if any gas comes out of the nipple (none does). "
Which nipple are you talking about? The one on the fuel lines? It should definitely have fuel pressure.

Here's something to pay attention to:

When the car is working correctly, when you first insert the key and turn it to "on" (not "start"), you should be able to hear a humming noise. That is the fuel pump running.

When it refuses to start, listen for the fuel pump humming. You should definitely be able to hear it.

If you don't have fuel pressure (or can't hear the pump running), it's probably the pump itself. It's not a real hard job on our cars, there is an access panel inside the trunk so that you don't have to actually lower the gas tank to change the pump.
#123606 - 09/12/06 09:26 PM Re: cars dead
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Geoff,
Here is the resistor I spoke of: Resistor I do hope for your sake that they actually find the problem, and I agree with Denver on all counts regarding intermittents; they can be a real PITA, especially when they don't act up long enough to nail down the cause! It also helps to provide as much info as you can about the problem you're having with it.
True story: I once had a Cadillac get towed in for a no start problem. Turns out the guy actually ran the car out of gas, but didn't bother to mention the fact! Did he really think the "E" on the digital fuel gauge stood for Enough!? :rolleyes: Fortunately I caught it right away; I just couldn't believe my eyes! jawdrop
#123607 - 09/12/06 09:45 PM Re: cars dead
DenverGT Offline
I've never seen the effects of the fuel pump resistor problem, would it cause an intermittant like this?

Not related to this problem, but I killed a fuel pump on a Chevy Safari when it ran out of gas, but the fuel gauge still showed half a tank. The wife normally drove it, so I had no idea how long it had been since the last fillup. Finally decided to try just adding a little gas, started right up, but the fuel pump died a week later from all the time I cranked it when it was empty.
#123608 - 09/12/06 10:20 PM Re: cars dead
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Hi Denver,
In the Safari's case, heck, that could happen to anyone (and often does! wink ) The guy with the Caddy went out barhopping, and thought he could make it to the gas station (priorities, ya know?)

Regarding the resistor, my understanding of it from discussing it with my friend at the dealer, was that the car could just shut down at a light, and may restart, or may not. Since I had just replaced my fuel pump and relay a while back, naturally I was concerned I had overlooked it. My friend assured me the GT's do not have the resistor. I don't like getting stranded either, lol!
#123609 - 09/12/06 11:20 PM Re: cars dead
Geoff Offline
as far as listening for the fuel pump goes, i do that everytime and it never goes on. right away i thought it was the fuel pump but everytime it gets towed the mechanics steer me away from the fuel pump, and introduce me to some new idea to explain these problems. Usually a security system issue or a sensor. but they never change anything, they say everything is working properly. it's out of my hands i guess... lol

blackarrow you have been a great help! i apreciate your help very much, along with everyone else on this forum. i called them today they are changing the resistor, filter, and pump. hopefully this will solve the problem.

the funny thing is, who knows what kind of mods i could have done with all the money i've wasted attempting to fix the car.
#123610 - 09/12/06 11:30 PM Re: cars dead
Igor Offline
Loc: Columbia/College Park, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
then i bang on pcm to see if that does anything.
I'm sorry, but that was quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
#123611 - 09/12/06 11:57 PM Re: cars dead
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Hi Geoff,
You're quite welcome, and I hope you get it fixed, once and for all!! Bear in mind my GP isn't my first car(try like fifth), and I'm no stranger to fixing my cars under the worst possible circumstances. I have replaced mechanical fuel pumps by the roadside(on my way to work no less!), water pumps at night in mid-winter(twice!), replaced a driveshaft in my '66 Riviera in my one-car garage during a thunderstorm, and a whole bunch of other repairs I've lost count of, lol!
Regarding mods: I'd love to do at least a 3" DP & cat on my GP, but for the time being I'm happy that it starts & runs, after reading about everyone else's problems... wink
#123612 - 09/13/06 01:38 AM Re: cars dead
Geoff Offline
lol yeah i'll be much happier if i dont have to worry about the car starting. i want a 3 o/r dp too! that is my next mod along with pcm and a t-stat. thanks for everything blackarrow

Igor im glad you find that funny, a mechanic told me to do it, if it makes a difference in my car somehow starting when im stranded in a parking then i'll happily give it a try.
#123613 - 09/13/06 12:54 PM Re: cars dead
Blackarrow98GP Offline
That's right Geoff, if you can't fix it with a cheers ing heavily! Says so in the shop manual... wink
#123614 - 09/13/06 04:28 PM Re: cars dead
Geoff Offline
lol i drink my fair share.

car should be done thursday, hopefully all will be good.
#123615 - 09/13/06 10:09 PM Re: cars dead
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
Quote:
Originally posted by blackarrow98gp:
That's right Geoff, if you can't fix it with a cheers ing heavily! Says so in the shop manual... wink
What a great quote... for all us kids here, heed the advice! Blackarrow, you are a good man!! devilgrin

'97 SE with alot of mods
#123616 - 09/14/06 03:14 AM Re: cars dead
bigdog9191999 Offline
hoping that your issue gets fixed. let us know what u found out.

and were in michigan are you from? i am in se mich. by south haven.
#123617 - 09/14/06 02:49 PM Re: cars dead
Geoff Offline
im in utica. right off M-59 . car is going to take another day. should have it back friday hopefully. i wonder if the problem is actually going to be fixed. im gonna laugh if it dies again. thanks for all the help everyone.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >