Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126297 - 05/29/06 09:00 PM 03 gt starting problems
mhobbs Offline
Loc: Big Stone Gap, VA
I have had 3 seperate times that my grand prix wont start. The first 2 times my wife ran it low on gas and after filling it up it wouldnt start. The last time it was right at a quarter of a tank and had been ran about 40 miles and woudlnt start. Before the car would start after 5 or ten minutes. This time it was 2 hours. Could this be a fuel pump problem. It turns over but acts like it isnt getting anyd gas.
03 gt starting problems
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 12/31/69 07:00 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
#126298 - 05/29/06 09:16 PM Re: 03 gt starting problems
RooK Offline
Loc: Southern KY
Get a fuel pressure tester or go to someone who has one. It will instantly tell you if it's the pump, but running a pump dry is a good way to kill one.
#126299 - 05/29/06 10:40 PM Re: 03 gt starting problems
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I had the same problem, after 3 fuel pumps i realized it was the wireing harness for the fuel pump. Got the casper hotwire kit and i beleive it fixed the problem.

1. After the car dies have someone crank the engine while you hold the valve under the engine to see if fuel comes out. its on the upper intake manifold it looks like bike tire pump valve, if fuel come shooting out then you pump is on and there is no spark.

2. Do what Rook said and get a fuel pressure gauge and see what psi you get.

3. if all fails take you fuel pump out and hotwire the positve and negative upper left is positive and lower right is negative see how long it runs for b/c it might just be the wireing.

If its the fuel pump and you need a new one ebay would be the best place, look up Mr. Fuel Pump he has cheap oem fuel pumps. if the fuel pump still runs then check your relay and reisitor but i belive you dont have a resistor so check the relay. If that doesn't work get the Casper Fuel Pump Hotwire Kit, or the one from ZZP, its alot cheaper and prob just as good. Hope this helped.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#126300 - 05/30/06 12:42 AM Re: 03 gt starting problems
snowcrash Offline
Loc: charlotte, nc
you do have a resistor on these cars and they do go bad, you could always check to see if that is your problem too.

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=9
dhp 1.0