Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127184 - 02/23/04 10:16 PM struts on 97 gt
peck Offline
Loc: 1471 fairway dr lawrenceburg,i...
I have 78,000 miles on a 97 gp-gt-what kind of struts do you recomend - I'm 65 years old and have driven Corvetts for the last 30 years-I like performace but being on fixed income price has a bearing now. Peck
#127185 - 02/24/04 12:46 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
Loc: Milwaukee, Wi
Hey, Peck. Almost all name brand aftermarket struts seem to be just as good if not better that the originals, and they usually carry a lifetime warranty, parts only. ACDelco is currently selling a good strut that I've been using for awhile now at work; they're basically Gabriel's premium product reboxed and relabeled. They carry a lifetime warranty, but haven't had to use it yet. No, these are not factory OE struts. Factory struts seem to be pricey, even though they will fit better, but don't have much of a warranty. KYB also makes a good product which is affordable and warrated the same way, and they say it's a little more performance oriented; but I havent seen much evidence of that. A really good product, though. Or you can check out the Monroe Sensatrac or Reflex, which is their newest line. I used to see Monroes leak oil prematurely, but not as much lately. Monroes are sometimes a little pricier, but that may have changed; I haven't purchased a set in 2 or 3 years, since I've had the best luck with the Delcos. You'll notice a difference with any one of these struts, compared to what you're driving on now. GM OE struts usually tend to only last 50-75k if even that, but I think they're getting better. The struts themselves should run you anywhere from $75-$95 a piece if you purchase them yourself retail, but you might want to check first. What's nice about Monroe, Gabriel, and ACDelco is that they can be warranted nationwide at any shop, as opposed to the smaller "performance" brands that can only be ordered online, through magazines, etc. But, even though the price may be attractive, I'd stay away from the big chain centers, like Midas, etc. Their product is only equivalant to original equipment or less, and don't last too long. They're made cheaply to maximize profits. I'd suggest having them professionally installed, and make sure a 4 wheel alignment is done after the install.
#127186 - 02/27/04 02:44 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
Chew Offline
Loc: Washington, DC
Occasionally some of the big strut companies also hold sales promotions.

I remember Monroe haveing a "buy two, get two promotion" a ways back also.

Thats the only reason I check the manufacturers websites sometimes.

The end retailers sometimes don't want you to know about these little freebies :-)

Good luck!

Chew

2007 Sly Silver Pontiac Solstice GXP
#127187 - 02/27/04 04:14 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
why2kmax Offline
Loc: Bel Air Maryland
Just for fun I hit a GM dealership and asked how much to replace struts using OEM GM. They said GM charges insane ammts of money for the struts and it would be over $1,100, so go get a set of KYBs and bring them in. Labor would still be round $500 though.

NTB said they would put on monroes for about $700-$750 out the door.

For that much, Ill buy the GMPP Konis with springs for $900 and install them myself. Hell its only 5 bolts per strut. Out with the old strut, in with the new strut.

cripes its almost better to trade the car. LOL
#127188 - 02/28/04 03:10 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
Hey, I'M an end retailer! smile
#127189 - 02/28/04 03:15 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
I wouldn't go with GM OE either. Price is out of site, and there's not much warranty. Like I said, look at the Delcos, the non-OE ones. They've been the best I've seen yet, and they're lifetime warrated, although any big brand strut is going to be pretty good. But,like I said, Monroes used to leak up until about a year or so ago; that's when I stopped using them, but this may have changed by now. Remember, even if something like a Monroe gives you problems within the warranty, you still have to shell out for the labor!
#127190 - 02/28/04 10:08 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
why2kmax Offline
I think Id still rather the Konis simply because i can get the upgraded springs too for only a few bucks more and they are adjustible. and its only a 1/2 inch drop (I certainly dont want 1" or more)

I wasnt seriously considering monroes, I just went to NTB for comparison and they refuse to install something they dont sell.
#127191 - 02/28/04 11:27 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
They may be refusing to install them because it lowers the car a little, or the design is too different from OE. I'm kind of the same way. Lowering sometimes causes other issues that the installer does not want to assume resoponsibility for. Besides, by just charging you for the labor to installe them, they aren't making anything on the parts, which for them is half the profit. They're probably buying the struts for around $15-$30 per strut, maybe less. And, as I always say, do you bring your own eggs to the restaurant and ask them to cook them for you? smile
#127192 - 02/28/04 01:27 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
why2kmax Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam S.:
They may be refusing to install them because it lowers the car a little, or the design is too different from OE. I'm kind of the same way. Lowering sometimes causes other issues that the installer does not want to assume resoponsibility for. Besides, by just charging you for the labor to installe them, they aren't making anything on the parts, which for them is half the profit. They're probably buying the struts for around $15-$30 per strut, maybe less. And, as I always say, do you bring your own eggs to the restaurant and ask them to cook them for you? smile
well thats why Id rather buy the GMPP set. made by GM for the car and its not a large drop. I think NTB wont install anything they dont sell for the reason you cite and also because I think they dont want the hastle of install problems or the shocks you bring in going bad and them having to deal with it. I can see people bringing in their own shocks and then trying to press NTB for their Lifetime warranty. too much hastle.

The local GM dealer didnt have a problem with me bringing in aftermarket shocks though and actually suggested it. I ususally get my GM parts at a discount and then if I cant install something just take it over to them. at least they get some business.

Jeff
#127193 - 02/28/04 02:02 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
Yes, there's many reasons why I don't install customer supplied parts. I've had a couple cases where they bring in their own stuff and want me to install it. After the car is apart, we found out that the supplied parts were incorrect. Now what do you do? The car's apart taking up space in the shop, while you have other cars to get in and get done. Some shops will actually charge the labor rate for each hour that it occupies a bay, since other work (people who are buying the parts from you as well) is getting delayed. If you can actually find a place that's willing to do this, stick with them, because not all places will. Also, any kind of warranty will not apply, needless to say.
#127194 - 02/28/04 03:21 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
wish edelbrock would make a set of ias sruts best made for the bucks Chico
#127195 - 02/28/04 05:52 PM Re: struts on 97 gt
Adam S. Offline
I'm curious; are the GMPP struts made by GM, or did they just slap their name on them? Ford Motorsport used to be a nice choice for Ford modification parts. Then after a few years with certain products, they just started re-packaging someone else's aftergarbage products, but it sold because it had Ford's name on it. That's kind of when I started to lose interest...
#127196 - 02/29/04 11:37 AM Re: struts on 97 gt
why2kmax Offline
The ones that come on the GMPP handling kit with 1/2" lowering perf springs are adjustible koni's Dont know about the other shocks.
Jeff