Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137777 - 11/03/04 09:25 PM question about power steering and mystery noise.
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
When I take turns going under 20 mph in my car it makes a 'whhhrrr'ing type noise. Anyway to get that fixed? Is it getting the power steering fluid changed?

Also, lately whenever I stop my engine, it ticks for about 5 minutes. Is this noise normal? What is it coming from?

I just got done installing a 180 t stat and an exhaust shield and the ticking still remains, I hoped it was a heat problem.

Anyhoo, thanks in advance, as I'm someone always helps me out. laugh

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#137778 - 11/03/04 09:43 PM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
JoeGPGT Offline
Loc: Greenville NH
That ticking noise you are hearing is just your engine/cooling system cooling down from running up to operating temp. my car does it to.....every car ive had had done that.
#137779 - 11/03/04 11:44 PM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
As for the steering sound. Changing the fluid will not fix it. May make it more livable but you have a steering rack going out. I had this 3 times on my 99. Biggest reason I dont have it anymore.
#137780 - 11/04/04 01:28 AM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
bryanp Offline
Loc: Omaha
The ticking just started to happen to my car recently. My Maxima did it to, but then that car's tranny went out not to mention other things, so I'm glad to see that its normal.

Zachd, whats a steering rack? And how much money does it cost to get it fixed?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/684818
#137781 - 11/04/04 01:33 AM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
Canadian GTP Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Yeah mines a real ticker too. Kinda soothing late at night though. crazy

Intense PCM, 3.5" Pulley, SLP C.A.I, 3" D/P, Flipped FSB, U-Bend Delete, Flowmaster 50 Series, Autolite 605's, Drilled 180 Thermo, Falken FK-451's (245/45ZR18), Motegi FF7 Hyper Black 18x7.5, SS Grills, Tint & Overlays here and there.
#137782 - 11/04/04 03:41 PM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
JoeGPGT Offline
Loc: Greenville NH
You will hear that pinging and ticking noies more as the air starts to get colder.....especially up here in nh when the nights are starting to get down to about 25 ish. Just the rapid cooling of your radiator.
#137783 - 11/04/04 06:30 PM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
zachd Offline
Loc: Evansville, IN
The steering rack is a hydraulic system that moves your tie rods and then moving your wheels side to side to turn. I dont remember the exact cost but for the rack part only was in the 400 range if i remember correctly.
#137784 - 11/04/04 07:25 PM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
NMPatronis Offline
Loc: Charlotte NC.
is there anyway to check the fluid level? The manual says the dip stick for the PS is right rear of the engine compartment. I've looked and I am starting to feel like an idiot.. banghead
#137785 - 11/05/04 09:57 AM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
InitialDGP Offline
Loc: Germantown, Maryland USA
HOLY SH*T THATS WHAT THAT WHIRRING SOUND IS. Im glad someone else finally had the problem cuz I was seriously starting to worry. Its actually weird cuz an accident happened right in front of me down a long backroad (A guy in an suburban tried to pass a slow moving vehicle on the shoulder and clipped his front right with his back left wheel, panicked and both of them lost control) It was afternoon around lunch I was behind the suburban going about 50. So of course I was going to pass the slower car as well, instead I found myself in the middle of a light with the road blocked by a suburban and an integra, so I had 2 choices at this point: Try to get through the quickly closing hole forward, or swing it sideways and take the turn to the left. I swung the back out to switch from that scene to some terrified faces of some people in a car waiting at the light to the left, damn near wrecked and the back tires went off the road a bit for a second fishtailing, I was positive I was gonna flip the car or smash into something but came out of it okay barely.

At any rate going around the next couple turns there was a loud whirring sound which became less audible over time, now it comes on again whenever I take a turn at more than 30 or so and its very troubling. So I guess it may have broke something or caused the steering rack to go bad on that turn? I didnt have enough time to take the turn properly and I could tell it was really hard on the car. 400 bucks tho damn. Could it be anything else or is that probably it?
Modified 2001 Grand Prix GT 3800 Red/Orange Kills: Acura RSX type-S, Early 90's Rx-7, Mustang 5.0GT, Modded Cavalier, Assorted Civics, Assorted Integras, Sentra SE-R Spec-V, F-150, Early Modded Golf, Modded GP SE, Stock GP GT, Altima 2.5S, Maxima. Killed By: Modded RSX-S, Heavily Modded Older RX-7, 2005 Altima 3.5, VW Bora Modded, Modded Turbo'd Jetta. Now retired till further modification.
#137786 - 11/05/04 11:09 AM Re: question about power steering and mystery noise.
framos242 Offline
Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by NMPatronis:
is there anyway to check the fluid level? The manual says the dip stick for the PS is right rear of the engine compartment. I've looked and I am starting to feel like an idiot.. banghead
The power steering is located on the rear right side of the wall near the rear sparkplugs are located, not sure which number plug it is. It's a PITA to get to. Look in between the washer fluid reservoir and the belt. Now keep looking further towards the wall and it's there.
DHP V1.0, Slotted rotors, S/S Brake Lines, Custom CAI, GMPP Handling Kit, KYB's, Jimmy C DP (U-Bend delete w/ Hi-flow cat), Flowmaster Super 40's, drilled 180° T-Stat, Alt. Rewire & Alt. Voltage Booster Combo, 605's, ZZP Motor Mounts

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am NOT mad!" - Dali