Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143370 - 09/03/03 06:11 PM HUD in new windshield
BryantGTP Offline
Loc: Franklin, MA
I had Giant Glass come out to my car today to replace my cracked winshield. I'm not a fan of those vans that come around but it was convienent. I feel they compromise safety a little bit, but I just started school again and am on the road everyday.

My problem (besides all the glue on my hood) is that my HUD has been smooshed. It looks like they put the wrong windsheild on my car. The HUD has these tiny numbers that are barely readable. I tried moving it all the way up and all the way down hoping it was maybe a bad reflection but it wasn't. When I ordered the glass, they asked if I had a HUD. It's not like they put the no-HUD windshield on my car without knowing it. Unless they did.

Any thoughts?

Either way I'm cracking it and taking it elsewhere next week.
#143371 - 09/03/03 11:41 PM Re: HUD in new windshield
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
If you're going to crack it throw part of a spark plug insulator at it. I have heard the glass will crack instantly but I have never seen it happen. I would suggest getting an o.e. windshield. The one they put on sounds like it may have had the wrong curvature of something.
#143372 - 09/04/03 09:43 AM Re: HUD in new windshield
BryantGTP Offline
That's interesting advice, thanks.

I'm calling them today to get them to fix it. They must have installed the non-HUD windshield on it.

I'll report back.
#143373 - 09/12/03 09:02 PM Re: HUD in new windshield
HercMan(Rob) Offline
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
The HUD requires a special windscreen to function properly. The guys put the wrong window in. and ohh by the way the proper window costs $1,000. enjoy

--------
1998 daytona pace car replica
#143374 - 09/12/03 11:45 PM Re: HUD in new windshield
BryantGTP Offline
Quote:
The guys put the wrong window in. and ohh by the way the proper window costs $1,000. enjoy
I'll pass that message onto my insurance company since they'll be paying for it. Those stupid rocks that keep hitting my windshield..... eek
#143375 - 10/02/03 11:17 AM Re: HUD in new windshield
BryantGTP Offline
Update:
This morning I was driving to school for my 8am class (icky) and a huge rock nailed my windshiled right in front of my HUD. The damn thing put a huge crack in it and woke me up at the same time. Scared the crap out of me.
SO I shall be once again replacing my windshield and hopefully it will turn out alright. Of course this happened the day after I decided I didn't care about the HUD problem and put my new parking sticked on the windshield. Oh well.

-Andrew
#143376 - 10/03/03 11:18 PM Re: HUD in new windshield
Jeff3800 Offline
Loc: se michigan
You don't drive behind dumptrucks frequently do you?
#143377 - 10/06/03 04:54 PM Re: HUD in new windshield
BryantGTP Offline
No, not since I got my motorcycle license and started getting hit by all that crap. I stay away from trucks now. With dump trucks, you can hear that stuff hitting your car and that when you move. But it's crazy how much stuff is hitting you that you can't hear (but you can feel on a bike). I've called a couple companies reminding them of the legality to cover their loads cause I've been hit by some serious stuff from those trucks.

New windshield next week. Had to leave the GTP at my girlfriend's school in NH. Her car needed an oil change and a radiator flush. I'm pimping a Saturn this week.....

-Andrew