Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143682 - 06/12/08 11:15 PM Key keeps being stuck in ignition
cwt2k1 Offline
Loc: Ohio
Hello I have a 03 Grand Prix SE 3.1L, For some odd reason the key randomly gets struck in the ignition.

Thx for the help!
#143683 - 06/12/08 11:33 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
the ignition cylinder solenoid is bad or the shift knob position sensor is bad.

when you shift from P to R do you hear it clicking?
#143684 - 06/12/08 11:53 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
BoostenGTP Offline
Loc: Michigan
had the same problem in my cutlass, had to do a whole new ignition.
#143685 - 06/13/08 07:23 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
quark_man Offline
Loc: Alberta
I also had this problem last winter. The shifter assembly was broken so when they took it appart the mechanical interlock bypass dropped to the floor!! and I had nothing to push down to get the key out. They the key got stuck again and turns out the ignition was busted! so I got 2k of work for 600 bucks, new ignition and new gear shift assembly . but the hassle!
#143686 - 06/13/08 09:32 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
Zalfrin Offline
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Interesting, my shifter has occasionally locked itself in park and not wanted to come out, so I've been avoiding Park ever since. I wonder if this prevents the key-stuck-in-ignition problem from occuring.
#143687 - 06/13/08 09:52 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
RickMac Offline
Loc: Willow Grove, PA
ok finnaly somthing i can help with haha

there is a hole underneith the ignition pop out the plastic filler with a knife or ur fingernails and take a pen and stick it in the hole.
there is a button under there that unlocks the ignition. its sopose to keep you from turning off the ignition and taking the keys out while not in park. that piece that pushes the button up when the car gets shifted into park has broken from just being old i guess.

this happens to me all the time i just keep a pen in my armrest. just dont do anything to force the button to stay up or the car wont start haha.

you can fix it for like 10 bucks but im lazy and just keep a pen around. it dosent happen that much prob 1 in every 10 times or so.

try that b4 spending any money.
#143688 - 06/13/08 10:52 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
notladstyle Offline
Loc: Tampa FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Zalfrin:
Interesting, my shifter has occasionally locked itself in park and not wanted to come out, so I've been avoiding Park ever since. I wonder if this prevents the key-stuck-in-ignition problem from occuring.
yes, the ignition key solenoid only locks in park.
#143689 - 06/14/08 08:08 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
cwt2k1 Offline
Loc: Ohio
To answer the early question there is no weird sounds from going from park to reverse. As far as the pen idea, what is the actual part needed and how to fix, I read it's a 10 fix, if so I'm lazy to so I'll have a buddy do it but whats it take?
#143690 - 06/15/08 09:16 AM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
#143691 - 06/15/08 07:31 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
wright26554 Offline
Loc: West Virginia
I kept a 3inch wood screw in my car for that reason. One day I was just messing around and when I pushed the release with the screw I started turning it and it actually lodged the release. No problems now except you can see the screw sticking out. (barely)
#143692 - 06/28/08 01:55 PM Re: Key keeps being stuck in ignition
canadian_grandprix Offline
Loc: Canada
My 2001 GP Special Edition had the same problem.

There are interlocks on the key / shifter / brake pedal that function between each other.
You have to press the brake pedal to shift from park and the shifter has to be in park before the key can be taken out. There is a module in the shifter that sends the signal to the key interlock that prevents the key from coming out. The signal is sent when shifter is in park position.
The dealer tech told me the problem was either the ignition switch, the shifter module or broken wires between the two. The shifter module is part of the shifter & you have to replace the shifter... for about $500.

I tore the car apart, checked all the wires for continuity. Next I addressed the shifter module. The module has some moving parts in it that make contact when the brake pedal is pressed. It seemed that this was sticking.
I sprayed the module with GM brake clean & blew it out with compressed air 3 of 4 times. Then lubricated it with some good quality liquid silicone lube.
I also lubed the moving part in the ignition switch interlock with the same lube.

All has worked perfectly since I put it back together... about 3 weeks ago....

Oh yes, we had used the pen in the hole trick for a couple months...